• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Bread and Dripping

It is possible to buy dripping. But the current trend - or should I say fad - is to buy meat without much or no fat. So much for 'experts' telling people how to live.

the only meat i buy is from our village butcher fresh no additives dye or preservers added or nothing taken away if you want the fat etc left on you can just like the old days
i do not like food thats been messed with.....

in fact i might have pigs feet for tea

the only meat i buy is from our village butcher fresh no additives dye or preservers added or nothing taken away if you want the fat etc left on you can just like the old days
i do not like food thats been messed with.....

in fact i might have pigs feet for tea
We are close to a cattle and pig farm that raises them for sale to butchers. They have a store where you can buy just meat as it’s cut. No fuss or trimming, just as it’s cut. If you want ground meat they have a machine for beef and pork, no additives. We have just started to use them, so far super good!

Bread and dripping is a time honored British favorite that makes the most of tasty meat drippings coupled with chunks of crusty bread. Sometimes referred to as a mucky sandwich, it once enjoyed a great deal of popularity in local pubs as well as in the home. In recent years, the dish has lost ground to more healthy alternatives, but it is still possible to find pubs that serve platters of thick slices of bread and dripping along with hearty British ales.:yum

Bread and dripping is a time honored British favorite that makes the most of tasty meat drippings coupled with chunks of crusty bread. Sometimes referred to as a mucky sandwich, it once enjoyed a great deal of popularity in local pubs as well as in the home. In recent years, the dish has lost ground to more healthy alternatives, but it is still possible to find pubs that serve platters of thick slices of bread and dripping along with hearty British ales.:yum
My aunt would serve bread and lard if she had no drippings! Not quite as good but know one complained!

View attachment 181881
No working class Brummie childhood was complete without the delight of a piece of white bread dipped in the Sunday roast meat pan, then sprinkled with salt and pepper.
Bread spread with dripping (beef fat collected from the roasting tray and chilled in the fridge) has been a staple food since the age of wartime rationing. Another piece of bread could be used to make a dripping sandwich.:yum:yum
Pete, I take a little umbrage with this comment, when I was growing up we never had a frig or any working class Brummie for that matter :)

View attachment 181881
No working class Brummie childhood was complete without the delight of a piece of white bread dipped in the Sunday roast meat pan, then sprinkled with salt and pepper.
Bread spread with dripping (beef fat collected from the roasting tray and chilled in the fridge) has been a staple food since the age of wartime rationing. Another piece of bread could be used to make a dripping sandwich.:yum:yum
Pete, I take a little umbrage with this comment, when I was growing up we never had a frig or any working class Brummie for that matter :)
sorry if the post offended anyone i have del it
No offense taken, just never had a frig!

This is sounding like the famous Yorkshire mans sketch.:laughing:
A meat safe, similar to mw0nys cupboard was provided in many homes before the time of the popularity of refrigerators. The safe was a cupboard built into a north facing wall the outside of which was open to the air with a wire mesh applied to it. Some of the things in the mail advert are a recent thing - post 1960's - such as Balti, pork scratchings pre-packed. The author does cloud the issue a little mentioning Black Country delicacies but the article is subtitled as West Midlands.

I don't remember having dripping sandwiches as a kid. I do remember plenty of brown sauce sandwiches though.
That said, this thread has enticed me to order a 250g tub of Black Country beef dripping to give it whirl. My wife say's it's best on toast.

I don't remember having dripping sandwiches as a kid. I do remember plenty of brown sauce sandwiches though.
That said, this thread has enticed me to order a 250g tub of Black Country beef dripping to give it whirl. My wife say's it's best on toast.
RRJ, you will find out what you missed but you are in for a thrill! On toast with a little salt!

I make chips maybe twice a month and always cook them in lard or beef dripping, the only time I use an oil is a quick spray on fresh diced potatoes to cook patatas bravas in an air fryer (they come out really good).

Not a big fan of lard or dripping sarnies unless its 'pan scrapes' which pick up a bit of the meat gel ;)

Back