• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Bowen, Jonas, George- Silversmiths, Silver platers.

Nigelb63

proper brummie kid
I am trying to find out more information about my ancestors. My 5x grandfather was Jonas Bowen born 1786, died 1867. He married Esther Prime, Daughter of Thomas Prime of Thomas prime and son-electro platers. What I've found out so-far

There were three Thomas Primes connected with the firm. The first, Thomas "the founder", was baptised in Elmdon (Warwickshire) in 1796, the son of Samuel Prime (parish clerk for 42 years) and Elizabeth Burr. Thomas' older brother, John Prime, was a close plater in Birmingham (bef.1821), who appears in Trades Directories at this time. Thomas probably joined him in business in Northwood Street (the firm began in 1818).
Thomas Prime was advertising as a "plater on steel" by 1830 - when he had probably set up in business on his own. John Prime (aged 65) appears on the 1841 census, described as a "journeyman plater" in Birmingham. Thomas Prime was ambitious and when an engineer called J.S.Woolrich invented a magneto-dynamo capable of plating silver onto base metal, Prime installed a machine in his factory in 1842. This machine still exists and is on display in Birmingham Science Museum. The great Michael Faraday apparently visited Prime's factory to see his theories about electro-magnetic induction put to a practical purpose, and was most impressed by all accounts. By 1851 Prime was employing 37 people at his *Magneto Works*, producing plated and also sterling silver. Prime exhibited at the Great Exhibition at the Crystal Palace in 1851, and at the Paris Exibition in 1856. A pattern book of his dated 1870 illustrates a variety of different types of domestic silver and plate that the firm produced. By 1871 the firm was employing 30 men, 6 boys and 11 women. Thomas Prime was active in local politics, serving on the Birmingham Council from 1843 until 1877, and he was elected Mayor from 1869 to 1870. He died in 1881, and the firm passed to his son Thomas Prime II. Thomas Prime II ran the firm in partnership with his son, Thomas Tertius Prime ("Tertius" meaning "third") until the partnership was formerly disolved in July 1891 (notice in the London Gazette). Thomas II died shortly afterwards in 1892. The firm continued with Thomas Tertius Prime at the helm until around 1900, when the Magneto-plate works ceased to trade. Incidentally, the first Thomas Prime's sister, Esther, married Jonas Bowen in 1806 Edgebaston. Their sons were George and Jonas Bowen, initially in partnership as silversmiths and electroplaters, and then with their own businesses in Birmingham by the late nineteenth century.

The information I am trying to piece together is what was Jonas seniors profession as I can't find it using "Ancestry.com"

Any help or advice will be gratefully appreciated.

According to Pigot's Birmingham directory , pub. 1841, Jonas Bowen was a shopkeeper at 41 Duddeston Row. Directories up till 1858 list the same (though the Slaters 1849 directory states shopkeeper & brassfounder). This is definitely the father, as Slaters 1849 also lists Jonas Bowen, manufacture of electro and plated wares as having his house at 124 Hospital St . The Corporation directpry of 1862 omits the elder Jonas completely. Should be noted that the date is publication date of directory. In later directories it is reasonable to assume thta the information refers to the year before, but in these earlier directories it could refer to longer ago than that.

If I have the right person then the 1861 census (listing Jonas, Esther, a daughter Mary and granddaughter Esther) gives Jonas as a retired brass founder. 1851 census (listing Jonas, daughters Catherine and Sarah with sons Alfred, John and George) also has occupation Brass Founder.

According to Pigot's Birmingham directory , pub. 1841, Jonas Bowen was a shopkeeper at 41 Duddeston Row. Directories up till 1858 list the same (though the Slaters 1849 directory states shopkeeper & brassfounder). This is definitely the father, as Slaters 1849 also lists Jonas Bowen, manufacture of electro and plated wares as having his house at 124 Hospital St . The Corporation directpry of 1862 omits the elder Jonas completely. Should be noted that the date is publication date of directory. In later directories it is reasonable to assume thta the information refers to the year before, but in these earlier directories it could refer to longer ago than that.

Mike, thank you so much. You're a star.

Should have added that the 1862 directory lists the 41 Duddeston row address as Catherine Bowen

If I have the right person then the 1861 census (listing Jonas, Esther, a daughter Mary and granddaughter Esther) gives Jonas as a retired brass founder. 1851 census (listing Jonas, daughters Catherine and Sarah with sons Alfred, John and George) also has occupation Brass Founder.
Would you have access to the census of 1881? If so could you have a look for Frederick J Bowen please.

I'm the 4x great-grand-daughter of Jonas Bowen (1786) & Esther Prime (1783) via their son George (1828) & yes indeed, Jonas was a brass founder. His descendents ended up being "electroplaters" & "manufacturers of silver & plateware". Feel free to contact me if you need any more pieces of the family tree filled in & I'll try to help with what info I've found! I have a multitude of original paperwork from the Howard Prime Bowen branch of the Bowen family tree. That particular branch were Olympic-gold HOARDERS!!

Would you have access to the census of 1881? If so could you have a look for Frederick J Bowen please.
Sorry must have missed your post.
If you still want the info. There is a Frederick Bowen (a jeweller) with wife Sarah, children Frederick, Amy, Walter, Albert, Ernest and Lilian. Living at 5 Anderton Place, Summer Hill st.

I'm the 4x great-grand-daughter of Jonas Bowen (1786) & Esther Prime (1783) via their son George (1828) & yes indeed, Jonas was a brass founder. His descendents ended up being "electroplaters" & "manufacturers of silver & plateware". Feel free to contact me if you need any more pieces of the family tree filled in & I'll try to help with what info I've found! I have a multitude of original paperwork from the Howard Prime Bowen branch of the Bowen family tree. That particular branch were Olympic-gold HOARDERS!!
I am the granddaughter of Howard Prime Bowen. He died in 1921 or early 1922.
My father was the 3rd and youngest child from Howard's second marriage. His name was Malcolm Wallace Bowen, born 1921.
Would love to know more about my relatives.

I am the granddaughter of Howard Prime Bowen. He died in 1921 or early 1922.
My father was the 3rd and youngest child from Howard's second marriage. His name was Malcolm Wallace Bowen, born 1921.
Would love to know more about my relatives.
Hello! I came across an old family tree a while back and decided to update it for my children. Linda, your name is there! Came across this site by chance today. I am son to Kenneth , the son of Charles Sydney son of Howard's first marriage to Mary Emma. I am looking for more information on before Howard Prime.

Hello! I came across an old family tree a while back and decided to update it for my children. Linda, your name is there! Came across this site by chance today. I am son to Kenneth , the son of Charles Sydney son of Howard's first marriage to Mary Emma. I am looking for more information on before Howard Prime.
Hi Keith. This is very exciting. You might have possession the same family tree as I do. Anyway, there's very little that I know or can tell you. Our grandfather died (committed suicide) shortly after my father was born. My grandmother (Janet Robson) died when my father was 4 months old. That was in about 1921. My father (Malcolm Wallace) died in 1953 when I was 8. I'm almost 75 now. I have a brother named Keith Bowen, a brother named Robert, and a sister named Gail. A brother keith and a sister Janet have died. I live in BC; Bob and Gail live in Ontario; and there's a cousin Judy (daughter of James) living in Ontario as well. She might have a bit of information for you. But none of the grandchildren from Howard's second marriage ever met him. I remembering little bits as I go. There was a brother from the first marriage named Roland living near us. And I think I remember an uncle named Charles visiting us many, many years ago.Please let's keep in touch. Would you like my email address?

Hi Keith. This is very exciting. You might have possession the same family tree as I do. Anyway, there's very little that I know or can tell you. Our grandfather died (committed suicide) shortly after my father was born. My grandmother (Janet Robson) died when my father was 4 months old. That was in about 1921. My father (Malcolm Wallace) died in 1953 when I was 8. I'm almost 75 now. I have a brother named Keith Bowen, a brother named Robert, and a sister named Gail. A brother keith and a sister Janet have died. I live in BC; Bob and Gail live in Ontario; and there's a cousin Judy (daughter of James) living in Ontario as well. She might have a bit of information for you. But none of the grandchildren from Howard's second marriage ever met him. I remembering little bits as I go. There was a brother from the first marriage named Roland living near us. And I think I remember an uncle named Charles visiting us many, many years ago.Please let's keep in touch. Would you like my email address?
Wow. How tragic. I knew Jim went and lived with Charlie( my grandfather). I saw Judy a couple months ago as her brother David passed away in Kitchener. I live near by. Please send me your email

The address is [email protected]. I was planning to go to Ontario this month, but had to cancel because of the pandemic. (Stay well)!! I'm a little surprised that you haven't met Bob because he kept in touch with Judy and David; I know he visited David in the care home. Hope we can all meet. We did indeed have a miserable childhood, but Bob and Gail and I - and all the cousins are very close.

Hi all

Although I’m not directly descended from the Bowen family of Birmingham, I am related to them. In fact the first post in this thread (by Nigelb63) about Thomas Prime is taken from notes written by me in a silver forum a few years ago. I am currently writing a family history of my direct ancestors, the Burr family of Birmingham and Bickenhill (Warwickshre), and their Prime and Bowen relations. Not only were they all cousins in Birmingham in the middle of the nineteenth century, but most of them were involved in the silversmith / electroplating trade.

To put things into context the Prime family and the Burr family were neighbours in Birmingham and before that in Bickenhill for around three hundred years. Samuel Prime and Elizabeth Burr married in Bickenhill in 1770. I am descended from Elizabeth Burr’s brother, William Burr, who married Elizabeth Billing in Aston Church in 1782, before settling in Birmingham. William and Elizabeth Burr were my 5x gr GP.

Hello you Bowen descendants. I connect to this family too. Jonas Bowen's son George married my ggg-aunt Maria nee Rudd; her parents are my Rudd ggg-grandparents. I have a certain amount of information, but will need to absorb all the info already posted on this thread before I can see if I have any new information to offer. Meanwhile here is a photo of the gravestone of George & Maria and their youngest child.

Attachments

• 1886GeorgeBowen&MariaRuddBowenGrave copy.jpg
    1886GeorgeBowen&MariaRuddBowenGrave copy.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 16
Wow. How tragic. I knew Jim went and lived with Charlie( my grandfather). I saw Judy a couple months ago as her brother David passed away in Kitchener. I live near by. Please send me your email

Dear Keith, like you I am a descendant of George Bowen, father of Howard Prime Bowen, and I would like to be able to share further information with you. Please could you either give me your e-mail address or use mine to open an exchange of info? My e-address is [email protected]. Thank you.

out of duty we always advise not to leave any personal contact details such as tel numbers or email addresses on open forum as you could be open to scams..hacking etc..it is allowed but only at your own risk....best way to swap details is to do so via our private message system whereby only yourself and the recipient can read the contents of your messages..

out of duty we always advise not to leave any personal contact details such as tel numbers or email addresses on open forum as you could be open to scams..hacking etc..it is allowed but only at your own risk....best way to swap details is to do so via our private message system whereby only yourself and the recipient can read the contents of your messages..
Thank you, but I didn't know how to do that, and in my case my e-address is already online on my own website, which I sometimes plug on social media, because I'm a writer and sometimes people want to be able to e-mail me.

as i said you can leave your email on open forum or edit it out if you choose to....if you want to send a private message to another member click on the envelope at the top of the main page

lyn

I am trying to find out more information about my ancestors. My 5x grandfather was Jonas Bowen born 1786, died 1867. He married Esther Prime, Daughter of Thomas Prime of Thomas prime and son-electro platers. What I've found out so-far

There were three Thomas Primes connected with the firm. The first, Thomas "the founder", was baptised in Elmdon (Warwickshire) in 1796, the son of Samuel Prime (parish clerk for 42 years) and Elizabeth Burr. Thomas' older brother, John Prime, was a close plater in Birmingham (bef.1821), who appears in Trades Directories at this time. Thomas probably joined him in business in Northwood Street (the firm began in 1818).
Thomas Prime was advertising as a "plater on steel" by 1830 - when he had probably set up in business on his own. John Prime (aged 65) appears on the 1841 census, described as a "journeyman plater" in Birmingham. Thomas Prime was ambitious and when an engineer called J.S.Woolrich invented a magneto-dynamo capable of plating silver onto base metal, Prime installed a machine in his factory in 1842. This machine still exists and is on display in Birmingham Science Museum. The great Michael Faraday apparently visited Prime's factory to see his theories about electro-magnetic induction put to a practical purpose, and was most impressed by all accounts. By 1851 Prime was employing 37 people at his *Magneto Works*, producing plated and also sterling silver. Prime exhibited at the Great Exhibition at the Crystal Palace in 1851, and at the Paris Exibition in 1856. A pattern book of his dated 1870 illustrates a variety of different types of domestic silver and plate that the firm produced. By 1871 the firm was employing 30 men, 6 boys and 11 women. Thomas Prime was active in local politics, serving on the Birmingham Council from 1843 until 1877, and he was elected Mayor from 1869 to 1870. He died in 1881, and the firm passed to his son Thomas Prime II. Thomas Prime II ran the firm in partnership with his son, Thomas Tertius Prime ("Tertius" meaning "third") until the partnership was formerly disolved in July 1891 (notice in the London Gazette). Thomas II died shortly afterwards in 1892. The firm continued with Thomas Tertius Prime at the helm until around 1900, when the Magneto-plate works ceased to trade. Incidentally, the first Thomas Prime's sister, Esther, married Jonas Bowen in 1806 Edgebaston. Their sons were George and Jonas Bowen, initially in partnership as silversmiths and electroplaters, and then with their own businesses in Birmingham by the late nineteenth century.

The information I am trying to piece together is what was Jonas seniors profession as I can't find it using "Ancestry.com"

Any help or advice will be gratefully appreciated.
How bizarre. You posted on 4.1.19 and it's now 4.1.21. Not sure where you are in the world. I am in Birmingham UK.
I am not related BUT I live in Jonas Bowen's house! Indeed, I believe he died here. I would love to hear from you and will happily send pictures of the house. I wont put the address on here! I have the original house deeds if you would like a copy, there are many details in them.
I look forward to hearing from you....one day!

Hi, I am not related but I live in Jonas' house in Birmingham UK. His brother's house is next door. Two of the few original houses left on this Rd. Please contact me for pictures. I have the deeds too, I'm happy to send a copy, there are so many details on there. In exchange, if possible, do you have any pictures of him? Or his wife? She died quite soon, if not just before, the house was built. After all these years it would be nice to put a face to the name. I look forward to hearing from you.

Hi,
I live in Birmingham uk. I am not related to you, but I do live in the house built by the Bowen brothers. I see you are in America. In my paperwork there is mention of a son becoming a doctor and going to America, quite possibly at the time of the civil war. I will happily send you photos of the house. Also the deeds with lots of information. I only ask that, if possible, you would send me a photo ( if you have one) of george or jonas, etc.
I look forward to hearing from you.

But how DO I use your private message system, please? I cannot find this anywhere!

Either click on the envelope at the top right hand corner of the page or click on the name of the person which is by their post, and then click on "start conversation"

Hi, I am not related but I live in Jonas' house in Birmingham UK. His brother's house is next door. Two of the few original houses left on this Rd. Please contact me for pictures. I have the deeds too, I'm happy to send a copy, there are so many details on there. In exchange, if possible, do you have any pictures of him? Or his wife? She died quite soon, if not just before, the house was built. After all these years it would be nice to put a face to the name. I look forward to hearing from you.
Have a look at the history of the road on the Acocks Green History Society website. The Society would be interested in what the deeds say!

Back