• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Bowen, Jonas, George- Silversmiths, Silver platers.

Hello I just read this thread I am a descendant of Jonas Bowen and Esther Prime - will dig outt he tree later this week. I'd love to hear more. Karen

Hi Keith. This is very exciting. You might have possession the same family tree as I do. Anyway, there's very little that I know or can tell you. Our grandfather died (committed suicide) shortly after my father was born. My grandmother (Janet Robson) died when my father was 4 months old. That was in about 1921. My father (Malcolm Wallace) died in 1953 when I was 8. I'm almost 75 now. I have a brother named Keith Bowen, a brother named Robert, and a sister named Gail. A brother keith and a sister Janet have died. I live in BC; Bob and Gail live in Ontario; and there's a cousin Judy (daughter of James) living in Ontario as well. She might have a bit of information for you. But none of the grandchildren from Howard's second marriage ever met him. I remembering little bits as I go. There was a brother from the first marriage named Roland living near us. And I think I remember an uncle named Charles visiting us many, many years ago.Please let's keep in touch. Would you like my email address?
Hi Linda,
This is interesting, My great uncle - Harold Bowen (1908-1980) emigrated to Barrie, Ontario in 1930.

Last edited:
Hi all

Although I’m not directly descended from the Bowen family of Birmingham, I am related to them. In fact the first post in this thread (by Nigelb63) about Thomas Prime is taken from notes written by me in a silver forum a few years ago. I am currently writing a family history of my direct ancestors, the Burr family of Birmingham and Bickenhill (Warwickshre), and their Prime and Bowen relations. Not only were they all cousins in Birmingham in the middle of the nineteenth century, but most of them were involved in the silversmith / electroplating trade.

To put things into context the Prime family and the Burr family were neighbours in Birmingham and before that in Bickenhill for around three hundred years. Samuel Prime and Elizabeth Burr married in Bickenhill in 1770. I am descended from Elizabeth Burr’s brother, William Burr, who married Elizabeth Billing in Aston Church in 1782, before settling in Birmingham. William and Elizabeth Burr were my 5x gr GP.
Yes, that is true. Thank you for the info.

Hello you Bowen descendants. I connect to this family too. Jonas Bowen's son George married my ggg-aunt Maria nee Rudd; her parents are my Rudd ggg-grandparents. I have a certain amount of information, but will need to absorb all the info already posted on this thread before I can see if I have any new information to offer. Meanwhile here is a photo of the gravestone of George & Maria and their youngest child.
James Bowen, my x5 great grandfather was George’s brother.

Hello all fellow Bowen descendants. I checked my family tree and this is how I am related:
4th great-grandfather Jonas Bowen 1786-1867
3rd Great grandfather James Bowen 1812-1887
2nd Great Grandfather - James John Bowen 1845-1920
My Great Grandfather - James John Bowen 1868-1944
My Grandmother - Gwendoline Annie Bowen 1899-1974 (Daughter of James John Bowen)
My Mother - Yvette Mandelli

Hi,
I live in Birmingham uk. I am not related to you, but I do live in the house built by the Bowen brothers. I see you are in America. In my paperwork there is mention of a son becoming a doctor and going to America, quite possibly at the time of the civil war. I will happily send you photos of the house. Also the deeds with lots of information. I only ask that, if possible, you would send me a photo ( if you have one) of george or jonas, etc.ZZZ
I look forward to hearing from you.

Hi Franma. I live in Canada. It would mean so much to me and (hopefully) my ancestors if I could see the photo and the papers. I do have a picture of Jonas and his wife Esther which I would gladly share. Sadly, I don't have any other pictures of that generation of the Bowens, but I do have some research about Jonas and Esther. Just let me know if you're still interested. I also have a public tree. Thank you so much for replying. Linda

It is not that the forum does not allow emails, nut just that we advise not to put them on open forum. You can communicate your email by PM. Go to envelope symbol on top right hand corner of page and click and open a new conversation

How can we do this? I don't think we're allowed to trade email addresses publicly. Do you have a public tree?
Franma hasn't been on the Forum since that post in 2021. She might pick up a message.
Use the messaging system. Click on her name next to her avatar and then "start conversation".

Hi all

Although I’m not directly descended from the Bowen family of Birmingham, I am related to them. In fact the first post in this thread (by Nigelb63) about Thomas Prime is taken from notes written by me in a silver forum a few years ago. I am currently writing a family history of my direct ancestors, the Burr family of Birmingham and Bickenhill (Warwickshre), and their Prime and Bowen relations. Not only were they all cousins in Birmingham in the middle of the nineteenth century, but most of them were involved in the silversmith / electroplating trade.

To put things into context the Prime family and the Burr family were neighbours in Birmingham and before that in Bickenhill for around three hundred years. Samuel Prime and Elizabeth Burr married in Bickenhill in 1770. I am descended from Elizabeth Burr’s brother, William Burr, who married Elizabeth Billing in Aston Church in 1782, before settling in Birmingham. William and Elizabeth Burr were my 5x gr GP.
Is your book finished and available, for sale? I'm directly related to the Burrs, Primes and Bowens, and have a public tree - and would find your book so very interesting, at the very least.

Back