• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

BOSWARD

janeytg

knowlegable brummie
:confused::rolleyes::rolleyes: HI to all at the forum.. Ive been digging for days into my Bosward family and I have a mixture of people,dates,places, etc :confused: and I'm seeking the advice or opinions of all you wonderful 'mods'. This mystery has a connection to my late father in-law William Charles Bosward 13 Feb.1898 - 1979. I will not get into those details yet just what has stumped me lately.
Start with a lady named Dora Kate Peters. born 13 June 1886.Kinson,Poole.Dorset. ,,,, Illegitimate, mother Sarah Louisa Peters.
Sarah Louisa Peters married Samuel Thomas Bartlett 16 June 1888 Kinson Dorsetshire. Dora Kate Peters then took the surname name Bartlett:D Siblings Hilda Amelia Bartlett 1888-1970 mar. Wm HenryTalbot 1913. Alfred Agustas Bertie 1890-1959. Eric Thomas 1895- ? Percy George 1898-1970. Kinson Dorsetshire.
Sarah L.Peters father Enoch Agustas Peters1832-1899. mother Susan Bolt 1834-1867 married 19Oct 1854 Longfleet Dorset. two known sister's Susan Ann & Emily Elizabeth Peters.

Dora Kate Peters Bartlett married 28 April 1911 Frederick William Palmer born 1 Sept 1886 South Lambeth London. father William .occ; Horsekeeper L&S.W Rlwy Stables. mother Mary ? brother Thomas Henry Hudley Palmer 1883-??Signalman L&Sw Rlwy Res;28Dawlish St London Frederick WmPalmer occ; Bootmaker. died Sept 1937 Sussex Eng. One son born Lindsay Palmer 14 Oct 1919. Poole Dorset. mother listed Dora Bartlett father Frederick W Palmer. Also found Cecillia Palmer born 13Nov1907 baptised 2Feb1910 Father Frederick mother Kate.:confused: on 1911 census residence Kinson Dorset Poole Parish Brankstone Bournemouth.:confused:

Next interest Lindsay Palmer born 14Oct1919 married Dec1940.Olive Edwina James 1920-2003 occ; Journalist. emigrated to Aust12 April 1947. Record of Lindsay Palmer died 4 March 1977 Poole Dorset. :pensive:

Next interest Dora Kate Peters Bartlett married William Bosward 23 Dec.1925 Dorset Bournemouth. son Phillip Lewin Bosward born 3July1926 Dorset Bournemouth. he married Margaret Stella Talbot in 1951 family emigrated to Aust. date unknown. Phillip L occ;Engineer.Margaret housewife.two sons Kevin Wm Bosward born July1961.occ;Draftsman Gregory Charles ??. occ; TelMkt. family is resident 1980 Aust Elect Roll 5 Edith St Nob Pk Chandler Holt Victoria.

Now my dear friends this will begin to read like a storybook. :confused: Wm Bosward who married Dora Kate in 1925 I have no records of DOB.or DOD. his attestation 16 Nov 1927 into Kings Rifle Regiment then 14 Feb 1940 WW2, he gained a mention in Dispatches Award Recommendation. Army # 7873855 Pioneer Battalion. Place of attestation Birmingham . occ trade;Carpenter's Mate. born Smethwick Staffordshire.
My late father in-law WmCharles Bosward 13 Feb1898 Smethwick Staffs. father Wm Charles mother Harriet. occ trade; Carpenter.
WW1 service entry from Oct 281915- 31March1920. R.G.A.Seige Battery Corp # 295178. this corresponds with museum records of Royal Warwickshire Reg .Age at attestation 23yrs 221day's he married Alice Marian Kinchin Sept 1925 in St Pancras London. Story he told us he was with the horse drawn wagons pulling the big guns which always got stuck in mud .broke down, and as a Carpenter he was there to fix them , he told of 'a Mate' who wanted to desert and 'Dad' gave him his 'ID' info from his papers he took the name William Bosward. went off never to be seen again.:confused: Now is this the WmBosward who married Dora Kate in 1925 rejoined King's Rifle Reg, off in 1940 in WW2. our Dad never told us but there is info of Three small 'Kinchin' girl's being taken into a home in Poole Dorset after 1919,:confused:

Many years later when Dad turned 65yrs and applied for his old age pension and he was told he already was receiving it. imagine the shock.:rolleyes: he knew the reason for this so set about getting his birth cert, parents marriage, school records, etc,etc, and he did get his pension but we never did hear anymore about this history. except Dad said some family members had gone to Australia. ???:pensive:

Now the mystery of Dora Kate marrying all these guy's,, Frederick Palmer in 1911,he died 1937 , were they divorced. ?? son Lindsay Palmer born 1919 went to Sydney Aust. did he return to Eng and died 4 March 1977 Poole Dorset.
Dora Kate married WmBosward 1925 son Phillip Lewin Bosward born 1926 married Margaret 1951 and emigrated to Aust are on
1980 Aust. Elect Rolls in Victoria.
Last but not least I have a record of Dora Kate Peters Bartlett died 1964 age 78yrs in Bournemouth Hampshire.I would appreciate hearing from you all at the forum your opinions, thoughts,ideas,etc,etc, of this mystery story. thanks a bunch.

Kind regards
Janey :)

i have changed the thread title and also moved to the correct section of the forum which is surname interests...just read your post and i wish you luck as it looks very complicated

lyn

A lot to work through but I can't see what connection you are making between William Bosward and the Kinchin girls in Dorset.

Also can't see any death registration for a Lindsay Palmer in Poole, Dorset or England in 1977.

And it is possible that Frederick William Palmer was still alive in 1939. He appears to be living in Lewisham on the 1939 register, dob is given as 1 Sep, though year is slightly out (1888). He is listed as married but no wife with him.

HI MWS; So good of you to reply to my query I know I'm asking a lot. One thing I will say the story of my father in law giving his ID to a soldier Mate is quite the thing. my husband & I talked about it with his sisters and all had a laugh at how mad their mother Alice M Kinchin was when their father could not collect his old age pension at age 65 and all the bother it caused.
I've been searching till I'm blind and cannot find a William Bosward in Poole Dorset after he married Dora Kate. it looks like he was off to WW2 and maybe he left her soon after the marriage. I'm wondering if it was 'Bigamy'. as I couldn't find any divorce from Fred Palmer and you say he appears to be living in Lewisham on 1939 register. :rolleyes: I think your info on him sounds about right. and listed as married but no wife.:confused: is Lewisham nearDorset or London.:confused:

I also looked at a copy of 1939 register for England,Wales. and there is Dora Kate Bosward age 53 living with her 'invalid mother a widow Sarah Louisa Bartlett age 74. I 've forgotten to file what Parish place the register had.:rolleyes: and I did the same for death of Dora Kate died Bournemouth Hampshire age 78 yrs in 1964.

Now the connection of the three little Kinchin girls living in a home in Poole Dorset, was another family story with my husband & sisters. it may have been a coincidence that the other Wm Bosward married :confused: Dora Kate Peters Bartlett
Bournemouth Dorset 23Dec1925, they were the younger sisters of Alice M Kinchin spouse of William Charles Bosward my in laws. it appears to have happened due to their father Alfred Hugh Kinchin returning later from WW! ,he stayed behind to bury the dead. I don't have a date of his return but he had a problem getting the girls back as his wife 'Alice Marian Davies' had died abt;1919. she was living at 7A Northwick Mews,Maida Vale London.

Dora Kate had a son Phillip Lewin Bosward 3 July 1926 Poole Dorset that's abt; 7mths after their supposed wedding:confused:.
this Wm Bosward enlisted in 1927Kings Rifle Reg for 12yrs he was a soldier then off to WW2, so it looks like our Dora was quite the girl living as Mrs Bosward and I did find Phillip Lewin in Aust. with wife & two sons.

So there you have it , what a family history I have to research I started looking for my in laws burial at Kings Norton.:rolleyes:
I do appreciate very much all the help I receive from you guy's at the forum. you are all a gold mine of knowledge
thanks again.

Kind regards
Janey.:)

Lewisham is in London.

Ok, I get the connection between the young Kinchin children in Poole. And can see, with your family history, why you may wonder at a connection between the two William Boswards.

Questions would be - have you seen the marriage certificate between Dora and William Bosward? Are there any residence or next of kin details on William's attestations? And are there any more details about where the pension was paid? Is the death registration Bham 1978 his?

It also appears that Philip had 2 other children - Lewin and Maxine - I assume they emigrated also. And if you just google search for Lewin Bosward you do get some results.

I assume the William C Bosward mentioned in the Uxbridge & W Drayton Gazette, Aug 1955 is related?

HI again. :) this will be a late arrival answer to you due to time difference I have been gone all day 'pet-sitting' at my son's house and just got home at 8.15pm.:rolleyes: they have a big dog i can't spell the name but it's known as a 'Swiss Mountain Dog' and he cries at the door when they go out big baby,:rolleyes: they had to drive 100 miles north taking the in-laws home after xmas visit. we Scots are a new year bunch.:)

I'm not sure about the article in your paper above but I suspect it could have been about my late husband Wm C, Bosward the 3rd. he emigrated out here Nov 1955. to an older sister who married a Canadian soldier she met at the 'dancing' in London.. My family arrived 1952 and I went to school here i'm truly Canadian after all these years.
I met & married my husband right out of high school, we had three sons and three gransons to carry on the Bosward name.I wouldn't be surprised if the news article was unflattering as my husband was no 'choir-boy' by any means.. :rolleyes:
he passed away 2011 of 'Kidney Failure many ailments due to the 'liquid refreshments consumed.:rolleyes:

I will be back on the hunt tomorrow for this elusive Dora Kate . thank you for the info on Philip other kids, I've seen quite a few queries from Bosward in Aust. will give it a look. Thanks a bunch for all your great effort on my part really appreciate it
don't know my way around the UK much except London the in-laws settled in Hendon and buried there.

Kind regards
Janey.:)

Back