• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Bordesley green

hello.ernie it was a great machine.4 forward and 4 rev gears.that junk yard was a aladdins cave.that and the tip behind

Cant argue with that, used to find all sorts of good stuff over there, hard to explain that the local tip was our park/play area. But it was really wasnt it.

Hi Old Boy,
Dad says yes that is the one. He doesn't remember the newer shop as he lived in Stechford then.
Dad went to Holy Family School as his nan and most of the aunts and uncles he lived with were Catholic.
Sue
Hi Sue,

Does your dad mean the Holmes who had a drapers shop in Victoria Street near the Green Lane end? Their shop was bombed and Mrs Holmes killed. Mr Holmes a little later opened a shop in Green Lane between Palace Road and Charles Road. I knew him quite well and last saw him at Somerville Road School in 1995. The school was celebrating its 100th anniversary and had invited old pupils to attend. Mr Holmes was fit and well then but getting on in years. He remembered all my family who had been customers of his for years.

Old Boy

The address of the photo in post 269 was Nos 4-7 Lincoln Place Garrison Lane Bordesley circa 1905. Max

A cracking photo of pupils at Tilton Rd School 1958. Max

Help please .... for two days now I've been combing the Forum, other forums and the web for a photograph I've seen two or three times but I've no idea where.
The photographer is on Bordesley Green. He's looking down Bordesley Green Road. A Birmingham City Transport No 8 Inner Circle bus (Guy Arab: Daimler??) is in the foreground and a Mini (or Mini Countryman??) is coming out of Cherrywood Road on the right. The entrance to the Barclay's Bank, which was on the corner between Bordesley Green and Cherrywood Road, can be seen down the right-hand side of the shot.
Could someone please let me know where I could obtain a copy of this photograph.
Thank you, David

.... this is the photograph that I've been trying to track down. This copy is only 18,6Kb but I'd like to have one which I could blow up without losing too much detail.

No_8_bus.jpg

View attachment 67436

The reason I'm searching for this photo is simply because beyond the Mini Van one can make out a whitewashed shop wall which was alongside the entance to Bordesley Green Tech, the school I left in 1966.
There are so many bus enthusiasts on the Forum with vast collections of wonderful photographs that I feel sure there must be one like this out there somewhere.
Would someone be willing to let me have a copy, please?

Last edited:
.... thanks, Lloyd and tardebigge.
Lloyd, it seems to be JOJ but the file size is so small that the number could be anything from 200 to 999! (which it isn't because the first digit appears to be different from the other two .... possibly a 6 .... no fleet number either. Sorry, David
PS Is it a Daimler?

Last edited:
David, the photo is from the book THE INNER CIRCLE (Birmingham's no. 8 Bus Route) in the Images of England series.
I will take a photo and post later.
Regards John.
P.S. the bus no. is JOJ 460

John, I’m lost for words …..
Yes, I received your excellent photograph … but I also got a whopping virus … no, not from you.
My computer froze up completely last Sunday evening. It’s been in a technician’s hands since Monday morning; I got it back a little earlier in the day.
Your photograph is an enormous improvement on the tiny, 19.5Kb copy which I had found after days of searching on the Internet. The photo you forwarded is 87.3Kb, which is quite adequate for the purpose for which I wanted it. Thank you, John.
I’m going to attach a slightly modified version of the photo; I thought it had been a little “elongated”. I’ve increased the height by 107% (Paint percentage!).

No_8_bus_28b29.jpg

View attachment 67646

With your trained eye, do you think the modification is realistic? Comments from other Forum members too please.
Thank you very much, John.
Best wishes, D.

Last edited:
Morning David,
The photo I posted was straight from the book, all the photos are the same size, but could have been stretched from their original 4 to 3 ratio of 35mm film to fit the format of the book.
Either one looks fine to me with no distortion, even if there was it's hardly noticable, glad I was able to assist.
Regards John.

i will carolina...to be honest i was going to do work in the garden today but the day started off so awful..will see what its like tomorrow...

lyn

I was born in 172 Churchill road 1937 lived there til I was 14 I remember Farmers ironmongers and the bread shop in Blake Lane,faggots and peas from the shop just above there on Friday night. Mom was a conductress on the buses and she used to run whist drives in the hall in Blakeland Street. We moved to Sheldon and I still live there.

My Doctor had his surgery in Cherrywood Rd his name was Doctor Bose, had to go to him when I broke my arm at Alum Rock school.when I was ten.

Hello Barrowman. I lived in Cherrywood Rd. until I was 8 years having been bombed out. Our Doctor was also Dr Bose. If I remeber correctly he was a coloured man [don't mean any disrespect]. Miriam.

I was born in 172 Churchill road 1937 lived there til I was 14 I remember ...... the bread shop in Blake Lane ...... .

Hello there, barrowman, would that have been the small general grocer's immediately after Paynes', the shoe repairers, on the corner of Bordesley Green? Was the owner Mrs Douglas? When I moved into Blake Lane in 1957, Mrs Douglas was already quite an elderly lady. She had an aggressive Jack Russell which became too much of a handful for her. One of my two sisters brought it home one evening. From that day on, all our brooms were bitten to pieces and Titch had to be closed in a room whenever the floors were to be swept. David

Hello Postie,

Really interesting stuff on here. I went to Marlborough Road School also and I remember Dougie blackham.

regards

David

I used to walk along Gordon Street to get to the park opposite the Garrison Pub in the 50s. Grandparents lived in Artillary Steet in a Maisonette had great times
playing in Wright Ropes factory climbing the bales used for making the rope. Theres a big railway shunting yard nearby if i remember as we used to hang on the sides of goods wagons. Health and safety had not been invented then and swim in the cut amazed we survived. Highlight of week Saturday morning at the Kingston
cheering the goodies and booing the baddies.

I know the pub abd thepark very well. My family andI had an aunty that lived on Gordon Street and we used to go there every weekend when we were children. Unfortunately, I am unable to get any pictures of Gordon Street, I went there a few months ago to take some photos and its all been knocked down, I was gutted. Do you have any photos of that place?

Back