• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

bomb damage bull st...

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
hi folks...thought this was interesting....

bomb damage in bull st 1940...near boots and greys..

lyn

Great image Lyn, I thought it may have been a UXB, but surely the crowds of onlookers would have been kept well back?

Thank you for posting the picture lyn, it never ceases to amaze me where you find these "ever so interesting " shots. The circumference of the crater suggests the bomb didnt explode or was a very small device. The shop windows behind the crater are also undamaged. If it was an undetonated device, the curious onlookers would certainly have been a lot braver than I would have been!

Great photo Lyn, It looks as if there is some kind of pipe down there - it doesn't seem broken - I wonder how it didn't get damaged? I can't believe how close people are standing to the man using the pickaxe - health and saftey wouldn't allow that today!
Polly :)

thanks all....john your theory is most likely right....bit off thread this but this crowd were even braver:rolleyes: just look a the size of this crater in hospital st...there was damage as you can see to the rose and crown pub on the corner but on the opposite corner the chippy remains untouched...i have posted this before but the story goes that after the bomb dropped the local helped themselves to the beer in the cellar of the pub....typical brummies:D which did reopen and was demolished in the early 60s.....further up the road on the corner of hospital st and william st north was the globe tavern which was not so lucky...it took a direct hit killing the landlord and a few locals:( my dad was born in this pub in 1929 and i have yet to find a pic of it...sorry to ramble on..:rolleyes:

lyn

Last edited:
I've only just recently started studying local history of world war 2. These pictures are amazing.

Not many of my generation even know anything about the 2nd world war let alone how it effected everyone, particularly those who suffered loss. Which i'm ashamed of.

Great book Cosmicp that you might like to look at is "Brum Undaunted" by Carl Chinn. Max

welcome to the the forum cosmicp...threre are also plenty of pics and info posted that relate to both wars.....good luck with your study...

lyn

It's been posted before but worth another look. According to the caption it's a Birmingham pub in the Blitz. Might not be right of course. Love the "drinkers" but I'm sure that's been posed by the photographer, you can see one of the "customers" is holding a shovel.

You couldn't have much of a game of snooker or billiards either - all the balls would end up in the one pocket !

Ive played on that table:D:D well at the end of the night it looked like it Max

I was going to work along the Coventry Rd towards the City by Trolley bus, when we reached Small Heath Park on our left Tennyson Rd had Police road closed tape across, it in a tree approx 30yds away from the bus was an unexploded parachute mine with 1 Police Constable directing pedestrians away from it as the bus slowed down all the passengers including me went to the l/hand side to have a look with no thought that it might explode!!!. Len.

Well i for one am glad it didn't go off Len, or we wouldn't have the pleasure of you on the forum. Max

Hi Dave

Great photo of the pub and precarious billiard table,can you imagine the present day health and safety "gestapo", they would be be beside them selves. The bloke with the sledge hammer and the two guys at the bar simply amazing.
paul

cosmicp, For any one doing reseach into WW2 an Anderson Shelter half of which was below ground level. Len.

Last edited:
cosmicp. Auxillery Fire Service fire engine WW2 in Geraldine Rd, Hay Mills, Birmingham. Len.

cosmicp, For any one doing reseach into WW2 an Anderson Shelter half of which was below ground level. Len.

i was amazed to read that anyone who earned more than £200 a year had to pay £7.00 for a shelter, could you imagine the out cry now if people were told they had to pay.
I was told the name by a lovely lady at the Bartons Meet of the name of the shelter that fitted under your table, but i cant remember what it was called .? Max

Brilliant Ray thanks ( i should have remembered that name with all the tv ads ) Max

Max,
Herbert Morrison was home secretary,at the time and he was trying to cope with a commitee that couldn't make up their minds about the shelters,so,he told them he would lock them in the room,until a decision had been made.He told Winston Churchill of his intent,his reply was "I approve and back you fully".:):)
Oh,for the day's when politicians were men and not self serving ninnys.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Max,
Herbert Morrison was home secretary,at the time and he was trying to cope with a commitee that couldn't make up their minds about the shelters,so,he told them he would lock them in the room,until a decision had been made.He told Winston Churchill of his intent,his reply was "I approve and back you fully".:):)
Oh,for the day's when politicians were men and not self serving ninnys.:rolleyes::rolleyes:
HEAR HEAR. Max

i was amazed to read that anyone who earned more than £200 a year had to pay £7.00 for a shelter, could you imagine the out cry now if people were told they had to pay.
I was told the name by a lovely lady at the Bartons Meet of the name of the shelter that fitted under your table, but i cant remember what it was called .? Max
Hi Max I can remember our shelter being
delivered, I was about ten years of age, I think they were named after Sir John Anderson who was Home
Secretary at one time.We dug out a hole in the back garden and it in and within a very short time it was filled
with rainwater and we never used it. Enids Aunty and her family were in one at Washwood Heath I think
it was, their house was completely destroyed and they were all pulled out of the shelter alive, so they did save lives. I been racking what few brains I have left to think of that underthe table one, but no,
cheers now Bernard

Last edited:
The under table one Bernard was called a Morrison as Ray Barret kindly advised. Max

Back