• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Bolton Road Small Heath

Many thanks for that. I tried using the Library of Scotland website but couldn't get anything in as much detail as here. My reason for the query is that my father was born in Buxton Terrace, shortly afterwards moving to Exeter Terrace where my Grandmother then lived until her death in the 60s. This begs the question: do you have the next section along going north west or know where I can get it? This is for a story of my father's life which he wrote up before his death. I myself was born in 103 Golden Hillock Road, a house long since demolished by the way.

Definately superstars on here.

Now, a couple of questions. Is there only one Bolton Road in Birmingham?

I'm looking at a listing for 310 Bolton Road, from the UK City directory. States Harry Strawbridge, bakery in 1900.

I've looked on the attached map, I can't see number 310.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

On the 1890 map there are no houses on the north of Bolton Road to the right of Oakley Road until beyond Oxford Terrace. They appear on the 1903 map so must have been built sometime in between. Below is that map and as long as the numbers haven't changed between then and the 1950s map above, then the pink dot is no. 332 (to the left of the entry of the terrace) and counting back would possibly put no. 310 on the corner (green dot)...

0 - Bolton Road.jpg

Could have been I suppose. He appears to be on Bolton Road on the 1901 census and you could check either side of him to see if there's any clue to pinpoint him from that.

1901 census he is down as Master Baker 310 Bolton Road, Birmingham. Wish I could see a pic to see what the bakery was called. He had a another Baker listed at the property too in the 1901 census.

Anything on that corner of Oakley Rd. and Bolton Rd. opposite the school was, I believe, destroyed in the bombing. Is that where the Bolton Arms was? I have a recollection of my old man telling me that went as well.

Right, I just checked my father's memoirs of his childhood in Bolton road and he states, "The bakery on the corner of Bolton and Oakley Road" was demolished during one of the raids. Any help?

Yes, WW2. If you have any photos can you post them on the forum? My father lived in Bolton Rd in the '30s and would certainly have known the shop. It's a shame he never mentioned who ran it at the time. Was your man still there at that time?

I don't have any photos unfortunately. I only found a lot of info yesterday. The only images I have are what the forum have kindly supplied.

My man would have been gone by then. He was there in 1901. I'm still researching, so not exactly sure when he left Birmingham.

Back