• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Black Patch

Thank you Bren, good job....

It is my grandmother, nineteen year old Emily with her baby Horace's in his christening gown. She is looking sad because Horace's father had gone away to fight in the First World War but he got killed so she never saw him again and he never got to see the baby......and as they were never married she had to live with the prejudices of the day. :(

Re: Gypsy Lads from The Patch

Here is another!
Hello,

I am a decendent of the Loveridges who were a gypsy family who camped on Black Patch, the person shown in your photograph is a Loveridge and bears a striking family resemblence, have you any further inrormation about him

I'm sorry, I don't think I have much info on the Loveridges of Black Patch....Any photos of the Gypsies of Black Patch were mainly taken by the press and either copies and originals are in the Archive Department of the Birmingham Central Library where they can be viewed. As you must have realised it is very hard to trace Gypsy history. If I find anything I will send it to you. Good Luck. ;o)

After a gypsy dies are their belonging still burnt along with their horse?

A Gypsy Legend

In gratitude to-Charles Leland's "Gypsies"

The sun was lonely the great are always alone poor souls-and alone in their greatness and who more lonely than the sun..‚.. Only the sun driving his chariot through the fields of heaven sees many thousands living in his light-But only one sun..‚.. .‚..In his loneliness he thought he would take himself a wife..‚.. And for nine long years he drove his horses through heaven and around the world-but neither in the fields of one nor the other-or among the stars or the flowers did he see a maiden as lovely as his sister Helen with the long silvery hair..‚.. .‚..The more he looked at her the more he loved her-for indeed the Lord God had never made a maid fairer than she-But when he asked her to marry him she said-Sun my brother your purity lights up the world..‚.. If we commit this sin darkness will fall on the face of the world. And she turned her face from the midday splendour and withdrew herself

And so the sun drove up to the steep heaven to the throne of the Lord God..‚.. He bowed-and poured out the golden flood of his supplication-begging that he might have his sister Helen for his wife-and the Lord God took him by the hand and led him to Hell.‚.. and the sun covered his hands and couldn't look upon the desolation of this place-And then the Lord took him to paradise and stretch out his hands and his heart was near breaking for the beauty and peace ..‚.. And the Lord God took him back to the beauty of the sky and they stood there together and the Lord God said-choose and the sun looked up and saw Helen far away and said -Hell-

But the Lord God was not minded that the fair world he had lifted the world out of the darkness should be plunged again into the bitter cold by the sin of man and woman-So He took Helen and plunged her into the sea and she became a silver fish beautiful and delicate..‚.. The sun rose and blazed across the heavens descending pale with grief into the west,.‚.. .‚..the Lord God spoke-the earth shook-the stars hid their faces- "Golden sun and silver moon for eternity you must follow each other with your eyes through space without meeting in the fields of heaven..‚.. But your purity will endure forever lighting the world-there will be no respite for you Sun and Moon"

Re: Black patch Gypsies

i am also trying to find anyone related to the clayton family who lived on the black patch in handsworth, my grandmother is a clayton and it was her mother who lived there in 1906 shortly before they were moved on. the main clayton i am searching for is frank and his wife ancelina (ann selina)

hi ann...maybe of interest to you....ive posted a lovely pic of the black patch gypies recently...its under the gen pics thread...evening mail pics...post 147...

astoness:)

i love the photo of the gypsy lads, do you have a date for the pic as my g.g.grandparents lived on the black patch as was my great grandmother. i would like to ask if anyone has any info on the "british home children" as my great grandmother was taken to canada in 1921

Harold Loveridge worked at BSA Tools, Kitts Green circa 1950/1989?, and lived in Mackadown Lane, Kitts Green but has left from there, i have lost touch with him now. Len

Re: Thanks PMC

there was one ewhere hall green colledge is now on the stratford rd where they used to do dirt track speedway with bikes rather than motor bikes(youths)

I see one of the names you are interested is Freeman.My wife was Benda Freeman,
Her parents were Len and Rose,They lived in Bearwood.
Regards
John Hughes

i am also trying to find anyone related to the clayton family who lived on the black patch in handsworth, my grandmother is a clayton and it was her mother who lived there in 1906 shortly before they were moved on. the main clayton i am searching for is frank and his wife ancelina (ann selina)

I have some info about Frank and Selina as they are in my direct line. What sort of info are you looking for?

Hi I'm new to researching this branch of my family so would welcome any help.

My late aunt was Gwen/Gwendoline Loveridge before marriage and was descended from Black Patch gypsies. I remember my aunt I last saw a year to the day before she died still had striking gypsy looks beautiful black hair.

I was told her father's name was Reuben but my cousin her daughter says that was my aunt's brother's name tho she didn't know her grandparents names. The pics are interesting with the name of Loveridge on but don't know who they were tho would probably be about same age group as my aunt. My uncle was born about 1929 so my aunt's birth year would be same or similar.

aquarius

any information about frank and selina will be great, birth and death dates if you have them, but anything at all will be of interest, thank you

Last edited:
gypsy sue whatever

My grandfathers ex-wife Florence married Reuben (Samuel) Smith in 1926 depending on what records you read. He was one of the Smiths from droitwich via Malvern etc.

Does this mean anything to you?

Sue

Hi,

I just noticed you are a Clayton by birth and have a gypsy connection with the Black Patch.

I understand from an elderly aunt who says that a list of past instances make her believe that [FONT=&quot]William Clayton of 2 Murdock Road Smethwick born 1892 and his father born 1861 may also have strong gypsy connections his family in [/FONT] [FONT=&quot]1891 are at the same address as in 1901

ie 32 Vittoria Street,Smethwick.
William Clayton age 40 Bricklayers lab b. Horsley (please note they say Horsley Warwickshire on census but I cannot find a Horsley in Warwickshire so was this the right place or an error I do not know)
wife Mary age 29 born Southam Warwickshire

I have no definate evidence of the above but do believe my Aunt all the streets are near the Black patch.

Hope it may be of interest

[/FONT]

For everyone interested in my family; Francis (Frank) and Anselina (nee Lovell) Clayton were my Great-Great Grandparents. They had 10 children and their daughter Susannah was my Great Grandmother, she and her 1st cousin Leonard Clayton (son of Frank's brother Alfred - he was married to Eliza Smith, daughter of Esau and Henty Smith the King & Queen of Black Patch Gypsies) never married but had 6 children including my Grandad Phoenix (aka Leonard) Clayton. Grandad's sister, Great Aunt Clara married William Oliver Cave 22/03/1920 at St. Mark's Church Birmingham. I have my family tree of 8 generations dating back to the 1700s so anyone who thinks they may be related please contact me. The book 'Brumroamin' by Ted Rudge gives a great history of the Black Patch Gypsies and is well recommended.
Custi Bok (Romany for Good Luck)

hello gypsy clayton, i also am related to frank and ancelina clayton and have been trying to research them for a while now with very little success, as each census shows different spellings of ancelinas name. i am related through my great grandmother hilda clayton, whose mother prudence clayton is said to be frank and ancelinas daughter, i think this could be wrong as they would have been quite old when she was born, maybe you could tell me whether they were her parents or her grandparents. in the 1901 and 1911 census they have hilda and prudence both as children of frank, but i know that hilda had prudence at the age of 16. any information you could pass on to me would be wonderful, names, dates of birth marriage and deaths, and even if you know where these people are buried would be of great interest to my family. i look forward to hearing from you soon. nanny loulou:)

Last edited:

The link doesn't work for me. I Googled Ted Rudge Romany Black Patch.
I am always intrigued to learn more of the Black Patch Gypsies, and enjoyed Ted Rudge's page.

Im new to this site and im wondering of anyone can help me with my journey to my past...... As i grew up i heard alot of tales about blackpatch and the gypies and how i too was related to the king and queen the only think i do know is that my granfathers ( Thomas Thornton ), grandmother Florence Smith (1877 staffordshire) was from the black patch she married Thomas thornton 18th april 1897 and two children Violet and Thomas thornton. I have seached and seached and seached abit more but cant find the connection........ PLEASE HELP !!!!!

Thank you sarah x

Re: Black Patch Park

Im new to this site and im wondering of anyone can help me with my journey to my past...... As i grew up i heard alot of tales about blackpatch and the gypies and how i too was related to the king and queen the only think i do know is that my granfathers ( Thomas Thornton ), grandmother Florence Smith (1877 staffordshire) was from the black patch she married Thomas thornton 18th april 1897 and two children Violet and Thomas thornton. I have seached and seached and seached abit more but cant find the connection........ PLEASE HELP !!!!!

Thank you sarah x​

Hi, I am also a Loveridge descended from the gypsies of Black Patch. Any descendants should read the booklets published in the RTFHS Famous Families Series, especially The Family Tree of William and Margaret Loveridge by Pat Loveridge and The Family Tree of Woodfine Smith by Josephone Tombs. They show all family connections. My 3 x Gt. Grandfather was Esau Smith married to Sentenia Smith (King & Queen of Black Patch). Their daughter Cintamenta Smith married Ezekiel/Disegle/Tennant Loveridge and their son George/Gilderoy/Gilroy Loveridge married Polly (surname unknown), and their son George Loveridge (my Grandfather) married Florence Fowkes and had my Father, Alfred Loveridge. I am their only child, Lynne, and unfortunately the Loveridge part of the line dies out with me. If anyone has any knowledge or stories of any of the above people, I would be really interested, especially the maiden name of Polly. Thank you.

Back