• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Bishop Ryder Lookups

Liz Baker

master brummie
Hi I'm looking for some help I've just got a marriage cert and can't work out the church on the cert and wondered if anyone might be able to help. the couple that got married lived at sheep street north birmingham and the marriage was solemized at the parish church in the parish of bishop ***(can't make out):( in the county of warwick does anyone av any suggestions please. Thanks Liz

CCF07122009_00000.jpg

This is the certificate....cant work out church bishop ****

Hi pmc 1947 thanks I think your right. Looking at it sidewards that is what it looks like. Thank you both :) Liz x

:)Wendy thank you for pointing me to the pic. what a beautiful church if only we had more like it today. A Big Thank you:)

Hi
Does anyone have access to a marriage record in Bishop Ryder church Birmingham On 4th June 1876.

I am looking for the parents and address if poss, of a William wood and Mary Ann Buckingham.

Many thanks

Dean

Hi dean the record I,ve found states that William wood was a malter (sounds like a brewer) his father was George wood, mary ann,s father was Anthony Buckingham they were both labourers, looks like according to the 1871 census and the 1881 census, that they started out in Leighton buzzard and went back there,the address in b,ham I cant make out maybe some of the forum experts could help youBirminghamEnglandMarriagesandBanns1754-1937ForMaryAnnBuckingham.jpgall the best michael

A maltster makes malt, and , although many of the maltings are now owned by breweries, that wasn't always the case. In fact maltings were also used to make malt for malt vinegar and pickles, so he could have been working in that field, or possibly making malt for both.
I thnk the street is Legge St, which ran approximately parallel and close to Moland St which is now mostly under part of Aston university. 1876 directories list Thomas Moxham as a maltster & hop merchant in Moland st (his sun being a gunmaker on the same premises). I would think this is the most likely place he could ahev worked.

Last edited:
thanks for the info mike iv,e just finished working for the council after 30 years I was based in Lancaster house, so legge st moland st were local to me but still could,nt work it out thanks again michael

ok mhemery. Note I have corrected name of st in original, where I had put "Legge St is close and parallel to Legge St". Must have been a bit late in the evening for me.

Back