• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birmingham Town Hall

Things certainly are changing, I for one, am sad to see the Birmingham of my childhood disappear under a cacophony of steel and glass.
paul

hi paul;
You are quite correct it as been changing for decades ; i do not know that if you seen the book i have just mentioniond
on recomending on the forum ; but you would definately agree what you are saying is true ;
the book is called IMAGES OF BIRMINGHAM; and its also points from the council house of hansom to the presents day one
and how the town hall in a glossy pic shows it in the 1887 when queen victoria visited birmingham and the council house and art gallery
had beeni illuminated for the occasion ; then it goes on from there its coverd every business of brum changeing from there up till todays every day life from born to deaths and the stret parys of hard times and the changeing of the structer of brum;
and by the time we have passed through this life of ourgenerationsit will be changed again to space age flying around ;
best wishes astonian

The Town Hall had a very innovative ventilation system when it was first built:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1362240311.620502.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1362240322.372945.jpg

Are the holes in the ceiling in post #217 below part of this ventilation system? Viv

A modern day view showing the ceiling holes.
When I went to the Town Hall in the 1960s and 70s I always remember it without windows, but it now seems to have them. I think they may have been covered up for a very long time.Viv.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1362240501.004721.jpg

hi guys ;
I bet its fanastic inside its one place i have never ever been inside may be one day i will get in and have a look
best wishes astonian;

Probably is fantastic. A family friend of mine is getting married here next weekend. Although I'm not invited. I'm sure the ones who are going will be impressed by their surroundings.

Two more views of the Town Hall, but this time from a higher vantage point. They give a better view of the structure above the plinth. Seem to remember once seeing a picture of people clustered around those pillars, can't have been too safe up there. The first view looks about late1950s/early 60s, the second's maybe around 1930sViv.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1362307535.473003.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1362307576.880632.jpg

And once you've gained access to the colonnade above the plinth (not sure how) you'd have a good view of some of the 40 Corinthian carved columns and the leaded windows (which I presume don't open) because you can also see some of the ventilation shafts which run all the way around the perimeter of the roof. (Ventilation image and those in post 216 from www. bpi.cam.ac.uk). Viv.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1362310579.640759.jpg

I suppose as a monument it makes the grade but as a building it's a failure. The previous photo's show how much space is lost under the roof. There is more space on the outside, under the roof, than on the inside. When the ring road was built it was hard to decide which buildings to remove and the thought of public outcry, if the Town Hall was chosen, meant that the other buildings around were demolished...the wonderful old Central Library and Midland Institute...the College and buildings on Edmund St. A high price to pay for a scheme that possibly might have been deep sixed now. On the positive side the western aspect of the T.H. is improved with the other buildings gone.

Seems weird having traffic going up and around Victoria and Chamberlain Square's. Especially now that they have been pedestrianised for a long time now.

Yes does seem weird Ell. And many of the images through time show a bus, horse drawn cab, cabmens shelter etc just in front of the Town Hall. So it's been a major thoroughfare/stopping off/picking up point in the City over a very long time.

Rupert, yes it does seem odd about the wasted space. And it must have been a pain in the neck for the Town Planners over time. The other odd thing is it's always been called the Town Hall. Usually these are places for administration and this has never been for that purpose.

Now these features on the Town Hall roof have disappeared. I wonder why? Viv.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1362334220.194312.jpg

Certain bits were removed during the last major restoration.

Saw this piece in the Birmingham History Galleries last year

And this one

This shows where they went

Don't know what happened to the bits you are referring to Viv.

My old maths teacher (late 1960s) used to say the Town Hall was a missmatch of architectural styles but I always quite liked it. We went there for an Edith Piaff concern 2 weeks ago and the inside is good but smaller than you expect (as you say).

Good comparisons Ell. Does make you wonder how this part of town would have developed had the decision gone the other way when the Ring Road was developed re. Rupert's post #222. Viv.

Luckily they didn't build the ring road around there or Colmore Row / New Street.

All mostly pedestrianised now (not Colmore Row - but not much traffic uses it other than buses).

Seems weird having traffic going up and around Victoria and Chamberlain Square's. Especially now that they have been pedestrianised for a long time now.

Some time back, I was trying to find material about the old Birmingham Carnival. The regular route was down Broad St then New Street. This used to have a full parade of floats (probably the biggest parade the city has seen) - sometimes twice on the day. I don't think that route has been viable since they built the ringway but I seem to remember it still happening throughout the 60s.

Was that the thing organised by the junior chamber of commerce, or which had something to do with them. I seem to remember someone I knew in the 1970s being involved in it

Those pics are great ell. Funny how we usually prefer the before than the after. But I guess more people more cars, buses and all that. Nice that we considered pedestrianisation tho.

This 1910 postcard of the Town Hall shows a view along Paradise Street. In the distance is a building I don't recognise. It can't be the Hall of Memory or the Civic Centre because they weren't built until later. Any ideas? Viv.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1366212394.791735.jpg

Back