• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Birmingham Syphon Company Limited

Joe,

It's sounds like you've got it all sewn up. My Florence Hartill turned out to have been born in Chorlton, Lancs., so not likely to have been a close relation, if at all.

Maurice :cool:

I've been reading up on the Birmingham Syphon Company Limited on this forum with great interest and particularly in relation to Luke Bradley who seemed to be at the helm for some years and left a sizeable sum on his death. The reason for my interest is that we have recently bought a 1938 Rolls Royce Wraith that he purchased new from Rolls Royce taking delivery in January 1939 Does anybody have any photographs of the factory around this time that might show the car? I am eager to research the vehicle's history and previous owners. We are in the process of restoring her to make her road worthy she really is a beautiful vehicle, but her engine is needing some work... it's a labour of love. Has anyone shed any light on the beneficiaries of Luke Bradley's probate: Owen Adams, Lancelot Cooper and Philip Horton Vernon who may have inherited the Rolls Royce? I've found a link between the family name Horton and Bradley so it seems that Philip Horton Vernon was probably a relative and not just a solicitor dealing with the Estate. I attach a photo of "Winnie" Rolls Royce, who is now enjoying the next chapter of her life in the Isle of Man. I have found out that for some time she lived in Rhode Island USA. If only she could talk what tales could she tell!

Attachments

• Winnie 2.jpg
    Winnie 2.jpg
    453 KB · Views: 13
I've been reading up on the Birmingham Syphon Company Limited on this forum with great interest and particularly in relation to Luke Bradley who seemed to be at the helm for some years and left a sizeable sum on his death. The reason for my interest is that we have recently bought a 1938 Rolls Royce Wraith that he purchased new from Rolls Royce taking delivery in January 1939 Does anybody have any photographs of the factory around this time that might show the car? I am eager to research the vehicle's history and previous owners. We are in the process of restoring her to make her road worthy she really is a beautiful vehicle, but her engine is needing some work... it's a labour of love. Has anyone shed any light on the beneficiaries of Luke Bradley's probate: Owen Adams, Lancelot Cooper and Philip Horton Vernon who may have inherited the Rolls Royce? I've found a link between the family name Horton and Bradley so it seems that Philip Horton Vernon was probably a relative and not just a solicitor dealing with the Estate. I attach a photo of "Winnie" Rolls Royce, who is now enjoying the next chapter of her life in the Isle of Man. I have found out that for some time she lived in Rhode Island USA. If only she could talk what tales could she tell!
Audrey,
Although I can't really help with the photo of the Meriden Street premises, I can add something to the detail of the company before Luke Bradleys time at the top & also to his own background. Funnily enough I am also something of a Rolls Royce person and am very interested in the Wraith too, which was itself a step towards the development of the postwar 6 cylinder engine, being the first small engined car with independent front suspension. I am not sure how to swap email addresses on this website, but I will try & contact you through the RREC, of which I am a member. My mother was born a Hartill, her father worked for the company, her grandfather (John Henry Hartill) appears to have bought the company around the turn of the century & her uncle (John Harry Hartill) then ran the conmpany, of which Luke Bradley was company secretary &, later, director. John Harry had diverse interests (Sivadi Metal company included) but died relatively young & it was on his death that Luke Bradley seems to have assumed the reigns, although his widow & one of his sons also seem to have maintained an involvement. If you would like to make contact, I can give you chapter & verse, insofar as I have it!
I suspect the wealthy birmingham brewer, Walter Showell, had an extemsive involvement as well, certainly owning the Meriden Street premises when the Birmingham Syphon Company were first based there. Walters wife was, by the way, a Hartill.

Joe
Thank you so much for responding to my post and telling me about your family connection with the company and love of Rolls Royce cars. The Wraith is indeed very special, a short production run due to war breaking out, which means she's a rare and special car indeed but doesn't help when trying to source spare parts. We haven't joined the RREC yet but you might be able to contact me through the Manx Classic Car Club (http://www.manxclassiccarclub.co.uk) if you send them an email and ask them to forward it on perhaps? I would be very interested to learn of any of the people who had a part in Winnie's past, thanks so much and I hope we can get in touch with each other.

Audrey
You can privately contact members via Our PM system . Click on the envelope in the top R.H. corner of the page insert member's name and write message. It is not possible to attach items, but does enable you to send your email address

Hi all, I am a Hartill, or at least my paternal Grandfather was Noel Hartill I go by a maternal family name but have very little knowledge of the family. Just wanted to thank you for this glimpse of information.

Audrey
You can privately contact members via Our PM system . Click on the envelope in the top R.H. corner of the page insert member's name and write message. It is not possible to attach items, but does enable you to send your email address
I can't find the envelope to click on at the top of the page. I can find an icon which seems to be "share" & when I click on that I can find an envelope, but that only seems to be a way to email the post. Am I doing something wrong?

You should have this bar at the top - I have circled the envelope.
1633538713114.png
You can also click on the name under the avatar of someone you wish to PM and then "start conversation" - I find this easier. Replies will show as a red number by the envelope

Audrey

Hi all, I am a Hartill, or at least my paternal Grandfather was Noel Hartill I go by a maternal family name but have very little knowledge of the family. Just wanted to thank you for this glimpse of information.
stewright, Joe Guttridge again. I can also be contacted by email on [email protected]
Please do get in contact. I have done a lot of research over the course of the pandemic & found out a great deal, which I am happy to share with you.
Are you in the UK?

Back