• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Birmingham Street Name Origins

Well, Baron, I have a busy day, but here are a couple for starters:

Bull Street.

Originally known as Chappell Street. it took its name from the Priory Church of St Thomas. At the time of the Reformation, the Priory was demolished and the street re-named. its new name was taken frm the Old Red Bull Inn, situated on the south-western side of the street, between what is now Corporation Street and Dale End.

Catherine Street.

Now Whittall Street, Catherine Street was cut in the 18th Century on former Weaman family land. The name is generally supposed to be taken from a member of the family. It may possibly have a Lench's Trust connection, as has the present Whittall Street. Rent from Lench's Trust property was received and money dispersed into the St Catherine chancel of St Martin's Parish Church.

Last edited by a moderator:
And a couple more:

Holliday Street

Named after William Holliday, Mayor of Birmingham in 1863/4

Haymarket.

So-called for obvious reasons. Later became Ann Street and later still, Colmore Row.

Jamaica Row.

Now disappeared beneath the present Bull Ring and Markets complex, Jamaica Row was once the courtyard of the Black B oy Inn. it is not too difficult to se ehow the change to Jamaica Row came about. the Inn was probably named after Prince Charles, later Charles II who was known as 'the black boy' because of his swarthy complexion.

Jennens Row.

Names after the ironmaking family of Jennens. the family died out in 1798 leaving a fortune of £12m, which was unclaimed at the time my book was published - 1986.

Horse Fair.

The road we know today as the Hoorse Fair was originally known as Brick Kiln Lane. The Fair was removed from the overcrowded town centre ijn 1812, and within a short time, and street as reneamed the Horse Fair.

Livery Street.

Cut across the Colmore Estate, it takes its name from Swann's Riding Academy. This riding school, built prior to 1787, stood near the corner with Cornwall Street.

Masshouse Lane

This lane (and later Masshouse Circus) commemorate the Roman Catholic Church of St Mary Magdalen. built in 1687, it was pulled down the following year by a mob lead by Lord Delamere.

I like your "Curious Items" Shortie. I think I read somewhere that the Jennens fortune was used in the book Bleak House by Charles Dickens, as the money in Chancery. Under a different name of course but I

haven't got the book!!

rosie.

Thanks Rosie, I shall keep them coming, I have quite a few more.

I think if the Jennens money was 'lost' in Chancery, it would have been noted, being such a large amount, but can't swear by it. Having solicitors get rich on the proceeds was not uncommon, from what I understand. I imagine it still happens on a smaller scale these days, which is outrageous. I know someone called Jennens who swears he is from that family and also someone in Australia that I know of reckons she is too. Have I got news for them.............? I have had the book many years (out of print now), but still lots of stuff surprises me, I guess it's easy to forget things.

The man who wrote the book I have, worked at Birmingham library for a good number of years, so had many facts at his fingertips.

Last edited:
New Road

The beginning of the road to Dudley, it was later renamed Summer Row.

Mount Pleasant

Later to become Ann Streeet and eventually Colmore Row (how many more name changes for this street?), Mount Pleasant was situated at such a height on this hitherto underveloped part of the Colmore Estate, that it afforded a pleasant view of the town and surrounding countryside. The name dates from the early 18th century.

Moor Street

One of the town's oldest streets. It was originally called Mole Street, a corruption of 'molendum' a mill. There was a watermill here until the end of the 17th century. On Westley's 'Plan of Birmingham' for 1731, it appears as 'Moor Street or Mole Street'.

The Minories

The Minories was cut about 1700, but was not then given a name. it provided access from Bull Street to the newly constructed Square. The lane first appears as Upper Minories on Bradford's map of Birmingham for 1750. The name commemorates the friars minor of the former priory which stood on the site.

Moors Row

Between Milk Street and Floodgate Street, Digbeth, Moors Row is shows on Hanson's map of Birmingham for 1778. The road lead towards the river Rea, and its name reflects the boggy or moorish ground.

Pinfold Street

Named after the pound where stray aminals were kept until redeemed by their owners upon payment of a fine. The street was established by 1731 and was probably 17th century in origin.

Peck Lane

Peck Lane which ran from new Street to Dudley Street was perhaps of more interest after its disappearance. In existence by 1731, the lane and the surrounding area was gutten int eh 1850's for the building of New Street Station. The Street Commissioners, predecessors of the Town Council, sold the site with its rights of way. Some 10 years later, in 1862, the newly elected Town Council petitioned unceccessfully for the return of the right of way, formerly Peck Lane. the London Birmingham Railway Co had provided a footbridge over the station as a voluntary concession. By iuts constant use of 100 years it became a right of way once more, and when the present station was built, this right, though slightly circuitous, was maintained.

I presume this last item refers to the 'bridge' over New St Station which once had a glass roof, and now refers to the steps into the Pallasades. How interesting to know it was Peck Lane at one time.

That's all for now folks.

Sorry to drift away from Brum slightly but does anyone know why Buffery Road and Buffery park, Dudley are so named ?
(Lenny Henry used to talk about both places).

In the mid-12th century, Lower Penn (now part of Wolverhampton) was in the hands of the Buffery or Buffor family, who held it until the mid-15th century. It was sometimes called Penn Buffor. They were wealthy, so owning ground in the Buffery area is quite likely.
They are believed to have (ancestrally) come from France, as 'de Buffory' (or similar), which sounds the same as the French word for a place where Cows or Oxen are raised - Bouverie - so, probably beef farmers from France.

Last edited:
Here's another one: I walked up New Street recently, towards Victoria Square , and on the right was a tiny little opening, with a name and I can't quite remember it, but it was something like Fire Station Street and underneath was the inscription: " Formerly Insurance Office Street" or something like that. Amy explanation please?

In my Wakelin's Guide it's called "Fire Office Passage". I don't know if it's changed since as I can't find a printing date.
rosie.

Street names and their derivation are always fascinating. However, I am trying to map out the mediaeval street pattern and whether the original names are retained or have been renamed. I do not live in Birmingham (despite the location shown in my profile, that is where I was born) and so am unable to visit the Reference Library to consult the maps that they have. Can anyone help please?

FABIAN;
i think i have mentioned before now about this book i have ;
it is written by Carl Chinn; andit called the streets of brum ; part one ;and printed by brewin boks of studley warickshire b80 7lg
and written by Carl in 2003 ;there is fore pages telling you all about the birmingham history and how and whom by the names that came to brum and the one that are still the original names of brum today it was first published by a guy called hutton
Hutton published his first editi of his history of irmngham in 1780. by this time the town had begun an extraodinary rise on the world stage
through its manufacturing prowess , as its reputation waxed and its products increased ,so did its number of people and the streets in which they lived,
BIRMINGHAM , entered upo a period of of almost continual change;
here upon new streets were cut out of farm lands and old ones were swept away in redevelopments
Such transformation led t James Dobb in 1828 to write a song I CAN,T FIND BRUMMAGEM . WHICH I WILL NOT TYPE IN ; A IT S COPY WRITE ;
BUT I SUGGEST THAT IF YOU REALLY WANT TO RESEARCH IT THAT YOU ANFD ANY BODY ELSE WANTS TO LEARN ABOUT THE HISTORY OF THESE STREETS OF BRUM THAT YOU GO AND BUY IT ITS A FANTASTIC READ OF GEMS GOING BACK MANY YEARS OF ALL BRUM YESTER YEARS ;
And tells you all the original streets that has not been change since dot and whom also as to why and whom they was to be named after ;
mine is part one ; and i am after tracing dwn part two of carls book ;
with fantasic pictures as well; al the photographs are taken from the archives of birmingham lives at south birmingham college ;
the price is 13 pounds ; ninety five pence ; best wishes astonian;

Last edited by a moderator:
I was looking at some family trees online and noticed that one of my distant relatives was born in "Gooseberry Alley" Warstone Lane. I've looked though census pages but I can't find any reference to it, when I was little I was told I was found under a gooseberry bush! I wondered if she made it up as she wasn't married. He was buried in Warstone Lane Cemetery so his life went full circle.
rosie.

Rosie

In the bham post dated 1867 there is an article "and prisoner made off, closely followed by Bailey, who followed him through Kenion Street, down Gooseberry Alley, and at last after a hard run, got him taken into custody............ in Carolina Street"

Suzanne

Thank you smtr, so she didn't make it up!! Knowing what a warren of little alleyways there used to be in the Jewellery Quarter, I was hoping it was true!!
rosie.

I always assumed it was a quirk of the developer. Where I used to live the roads were named after South Gloucestershire villages and a part of Redditch has the 'Poets Estate'. Shirley has the Shakespeare Estate.

Spot on Lloyd - perhaps Maureen had some particular street names in mind, I have some knowledge on the origin of place names and wouldn't mind taking a stab at a name or three (not all of Birmingham yet though!).

Lichfield has three different spellings for the same place in one road (and it is only fifty yards long!) - Laburnum House (correct spelling) is in Laburnum Close, however the roadsigns insist it is Laburnam at one end and Laburnham at the other.

I have been trying to find the origin of the road named " ACFOLD " in handsworth wood were I spent my childhood. No luck though. Perhaps someone out there can enlighten me, please.

Inside a triangle of roads in Billesley formed by Coldbath Road, Brook Lane and Yardley Wood Road, there are Vimy Road, Jutland Road and Menin Road. I guess that the first world war connection is clear but I wondered if they were named/opened with any pomp or ceremony and whether any early photographs of such an event exist? Dave

Hi Folks
I have a copy of a Birth Certificate from 1879.
The place of birth and the address of the informant both appear as 21 ENDSMUS Road Aston.
I have done my best to verify this street name but with no luck.
I can find nothing remotely like it.
I am hoping someone out there might be able to help.
Regards, OldBrummie.

Back