• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Birmingham Settlement

Picture of The Settlemant on the corner of Summer Lane and Tower Street.The youth club entrance was up Tower St,just beyond the main Settlement building. Moss.

hi moss..postie put this one on some time ago and the more i look at it the more i cant understand just why it was demolished....certainly didnt look like a crumling building to me....what a shame....

lyn

When we used to go to the youth club there it was a small building on the front separate from the big one, it was on the main road side, a really truly happy part of my growing up years.

Hello, claire-brum71,

Pleased to say I was a member of the Birmingham Settlement youth club from about 1943 until I was called up for National Service in 1947.

In those days a young lady by the name of Marion Messenger ran the club, with the aid of a young feller - but I can't remember his name.

It was wartime, but we managed to keep ourselves happy putting on shows and dances, etc.

Those were the days...

pedlarman
icon14.gif

I remember the place but never knew what it was as a lad and I was a lad once

Hi all, glad you all have good memories, have to agree, i can't see why they demolished it! I have a couple of old photos, one of an outing and one of the football team, can't upload pics at the moment though for some reason, soon as i can i will post them, you never know you may recognise some family in them :)

Hi Pedlarman i used to go to the Settlement the same time as you
with my brother Chalie Shephard he used to do some boxing their.
great place good times.
regards.

Hi Pedlarman i used to go to the Settlement the same time as you
with my brother Chalie Shephard he used to do some boxing their.
great place good times.
regards.

Hi, Richard,

Yeah. They were good times, and I had lots of them at The Settlement.

I don't remember the names of you or your brother, but, then again, I struggle these days to recall some of my old schoolmates names.

And it's a fact that, although there were a group of us at The Settlement who stuck together and went out as a group, say, to the pictures, once in a while, I can't remember their names, either!

I do remember one name, though - because I had a crush on her, and we went out a few times on dates. It was Betty Green. But, apart from Marion Messenger, who ran the place, those are about the only names I can recall.

Yeah. Good times.

Cheers, Richard,

Jim Pedley (pedlarman)
icon14.gif

Hello Claire, Pleased to see through looking at The Settlement thread that your Nan is still with you, take care Len.

I remember using the youth club in the late 50s.
The club leader in those days was known as "SKIP"i think his surname was Baxter.
Moss.

Super pic. of the bus stop I used to catch that bus to go home after club.

another Settlement one outing 1930 Lyn will like this as you can see the Barrel
In rememberance of Brian Harding (The Summer Lane Kid) from Brian's collection

Hi to all , settlement was in tower street opposit the Barrell pub i weent there couple off times in the 1960s, I remember doing cooking there i made an honeycombe mould does anybody know what ingredientys there would be in this i know there was jelly but cant remember the rest .

hi postie and john houghton...would it be possible for you to repost the pics you have of the settlement please....

many thanks....

lyn

Could anyone tell me why I do not get the photographs coming up on the threads please

Ditone , looking at the thread when you press new post there appears to be no photo,s shown (no paper clip ) if there were any they may have been lost in the upgrade. Dek

hi ditone...yes as dek said the pics have unfortunately been lost in the upgrade we had....i have asked anyone who posted pics on this thread if they still have them to repost for us...

lyn

moss your pic on post 32 is the one i was after...i will now go back to the summer lane pubs thread

cheers

lyn

We give all our unwanted 'furniture', in fact anything useable and sellable to The Settlement - they are very happy to have them. Miriam.

went with the settlement, corner of summer lane and tower street, to the isle of man in about 1951/2. big white building .I think now there is a department there that offers advice for people with money problems. at my last attended army reuion one of my old serving mates said i remember you . you were always singing See the palm trees swaying , way down summer lane That was after 40 years not seeing him, made my day. not a bad way to be remembered. mick mcgrath

Hiya Mick,
Nice to see you on the forum,I know you have a lot of good info.from the old end,so lets have more input from you me old mate.
Nice that you were remembered for singing "The Summer Lane Song",at your reunion,can we now take it that it is the marching song of the 15th.Hussars.

Hi to all , settlement was in tower street opposit the Barrell pub i weent there couple off times in the 1960s, I remember doing cooking there i made an honeycombe mould does anybody know what ingredientys there would be in this i know there was jelly but cant remember the rest .

I used to love honeycomb mould :) my Nan used to make it for us.

I'm not really sure what the ingredients were, I seem to remember it came in a packet which you had to add stuff to (maybe egg and milk? guessing really). Some of the ingredients in the mix would settle in the lower part of the mould leaving the jelly part at the top (or bottom when you had turned the mould out!)

Hi Sparks sorry i can't help you with the recipe.The Settlment gave people the chance to meet and make friends
you could do all sorts of sports. shame it closed, you see so many kids today hanging around the streets with
nothing to do all the best.
Richard.

Back