• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birmingham Schools Football History / & photos

Some great players where Eugenie Reynolds, Johnny Mullen, Dermot Bevan, Tommy Burns, .......
I am sitting far right with the semi-crew hairstyle and wonky glasses, wish I could have one now LOL!!

Hello there, bob,
Is the Dermot Bevan you mention above the lad sitting on your right? He came to Bordesley Green Tech; he was in my form. Any news of him? David

Birmingham Schools Football History & Photos

I have started this thread, as there is no notable history on this subject. Who was in your school team. Who won the Villa Cup and in what year? Who ....... etc., etc.
If we don't post this knowledge it will be lost forever, as there is very little or no history on line, there is some detail from the old Mail, Dispatch and Argus kept in the Central Library but it takes hours to research and find.
I will kick off with my mate's school Queensbridge Road, who had a great team in 1962 and 1963 when they won the Victoria Shield & South B'ham league 1 in 1962.

Well, bob, in answer to your query, I've come across this photo in the Bordesley Green Technical School section of Friends Reunited. The photo speaks for itself : BGTS won the League (?) and Villa Cup in 1955/56.

Copy_of_BGTS_1955-56.JPG

BGTS_U_13___U_15_1971-72.JPG

The second photo illustrates the success of the school's junior sides during the 1971/72 season : 5 trophies + 1 shared (?).
Best wishes, David

View attachment 61493View attachment 61494

Last edited:
My brother played for Bordesley Green Tech at Villa Park in the Villa Cup Final in 1952 against Hartfield Crescent,
Bordesley Tech won 3-2 and my brother scored 2 of the goals, I was so proud of him.

Thats correct david, I havn't seen or heard about Dermot since 1960, sorry I can't help. he was an alround sports kid, but never crossed swords with him again.

Great photos David of BG Tec can you name any of the team and give other details of the match? etc.

Jean you flatter'er you!!

Thornhill if you are that pround give us his name, I certainly would like to know!! it was a great historic achievment.

Bob

Hello again, bob,
...... visited this thread again a minute or two ago and looked at your posting (#60) with our mutual mate Dermot Bevan holding a cup sitting next to you. I looked again and I think I've spotted another lad who left your school to come to Bordesley Green Tech. On your photograph, is the lad standing up on the extreme left Hugh Evans? In your comments you mention "Hugh ?"; I think it's the same lad as the boy on my photograph in Post #2. In my photo he's second from the right, standing. He too was in my class. What a strange coincidence!
I'm working on naming a photo of of other BGTS teams I've posted. Best regards, David

Thornhill if you are that pround give us his name, I certainly would like to know!! it was a great historic achievment.

My brothers name is Bob Bowden he played centre forward.

That season Bordesley Green Tech had about 4 players who were members of the Birmingham Schools football team and they also had a super season reaching the semi finals of the English Schools Cup.

My brother Bob died in January 1994 aged 56.

Re: Birmingham Schools Football History & Photos

...... another gem for you, bob,

BGTS_Under_13_soccer_team_1964-65.JPG

The insert is a scan of Pages 26 and 27 of the Bordesley Green Boy's Technical School's Magazine 1965. Obviously the events refer to the preceding year/season.
Bob, I have a heap of other photos, statistics, team records, etc. which I could post if you feel that BGTS isn't commandeering your thread. Or, if you prefer, I could send you a certain amount of sifted information via IM or directly to your personal email address, if you're willing to let me have it. Of course, I'm only too willing to continue as I'm doing if our BHF members express interest.
Kind regards, David

Last edited:
Please keep them coming David,i feel sure i have already spotted a pal of mine,i will see him this weekend so will find out for certain if it is him.

Hi All,

I have found this thread very interesting but now wonder will the youngsters today have the same benefits that we had. I believe that most, if not all, of the schools playing fields have been sold off Do the schools still have teams any more? I read a few years ago that teachers werer not prepared to give up their time out of school hours anymore and that included supervising school teams on Saturday mornings.

If this is true where are the England players of the future to come from.

Old Boy

My eldest grandchildren still play sports at school and one attends stage school. A step grandson plays football very actively and could well play for one of our local Premier clubs one day. Two others play Basketball at a good level and one of them teaches others to play.
The papers make too much of the negative but we do not have to believe it. However as far as I was concerned all sports fields could been replaced by Tarmac as I hated sport of all sort. This meant either going on a so called cross country (read pavement) run or being stuck in with the Girls Domestic Science class. Was I glad when I moved to HTS.

You have a good eye david thanks I have amended my post, it is Hugh Evans, but I don't see Dermot on your photo?

Yes David keep it coming it may encourage others to post historic Schools football details, and my reasons are a bit selfish, as I captained both South Birmingham Schools and the 1st Warwickshire County team 15's and Under. I broke my wrist in the 1st county match but played with real good young footballers at that time 62/63 season such as Phil Summerhill, Dave Robinson, Malcolm Chauwner, Garry Pendry, Anton Rapps and others I cannot remember as I have no photos of these teams mentioned, but photos where taken.
I searched all the back copies of the Mail, Pink & blue sports papers at the central library with no luck at all. I am hoping that someone out there my post them on BHF or know how I could find these photos.
My only memorabilia is my badges, that you received.

You have a good eye david thanks I have amended my post, it is Hugh Evans, but I don't see Dermot on your photo?

Bob, I'm afraid that Dermot - although very good - just wasn't up to the level of other boys that went on from junior schools to Bordesley Green Tech. I can't recall Dermot ever winning a place in the various BG Tech. School teams. He was picked for his house side at different age levels but never - as far as I can remember - got into the school team. I may be wrong.
Dermot's story runs parallel to mine: I played goalie for Bordesley Green Primary School, but on going to the Tech I found myself up against Malcolm Dudley, who was considered, nay, was, much better that I was.
Due to Malcolm I played rugger; a sport I practised here in Italy up to the mid-80's when a nasty fracture of my right shoulder put pay to rugby, tennis, serious swimming, etc., etc. and made me take up sailing ...... I'm not on any of the BGTS photos I've posted.
I was kept out of the school's senior 1st XI (now playing on the wing) by one David Fowler (an appropriate name for a football player, don't you think [fouler] ??? David is a Forum member and contributed to this thread early on; in Post #6 David sent in a photograph of the two of us plus other school friends who continued to play together after leaving the Tech. I was - as always - the second-string goalie. D.

Last edited:

..... some more fodder: Pages 22 and 23 from the 1963 school magazine. Please note that John Pennington - the lad who put most of the ten goals past me when he played for Alston Road Primary and I was at Bordesley Green Primary (Photo in Post #9) in our 10-1 pasting - was selected to play for the Birmingham Representative Team (Page 22, extreme bottom left). David

BGTS_Soccer_1962-63.JPG

Last edited:
Very interesting reading David "Grattsi tantti". I remmember John Pennington a very good player and the Butlin's brothers who went on to make there names in local junior and senior football teams

I can't believe that you still have all this fantastic historical documents and exported with you to Italy. My mom was Italian and came from Jusi Ancona.

This does set the ball rolling and hopefully if any body else has any other school mags that have football details, please post on this thread, this is our Brummigeum history and if we don't share it, I feel it may be lost forever!!

I have written to all my old footballing mates 50/60's to ask if they can supply history and details so we can share on this thread.

Birmingham Schools Football History & Photos

Who was in your school team? Who won the Villa Cup and in what year? Who played in the districted school Representative sides such as B'ham Boys, Erdington Boys, South B'ham Boys, Aston and District Boys ........ if we don't post this knowledge it will be lost forever, as there is very little or no history on line, there is some detail from the old Mail, Dispatch and Argus kept in the central library but it takes hours to research and find.

Thanks for your kind words, bob. As I stated in Post #2, I go along wholeheartedly with all you’re doing to gather together all this historically important information. I’d like to thank you for stimulating me into going into the records of Bordesley Green Tech. I have always known we had an excellent record in inter-schools football (and other sports, by the way!) but I would never have imagined the exceptional level of our teams’ success if you hadn’t encouraged me to look up my copies of old School Magazines.
Here’s today’s instalment, taken again from the Bordesley Green Technical School's Magazine, this time 1966.

Page 25.JPG

In this photograph of the school's Under 15 Soccer team 1965-66 you can see the younger of the two Butlin brothers; he was the captain. His brother, John, can be seen in the photo davidfowler sent in in Post #6. Here it is again :

First XI  1964-65.JPG

John was so good that he played alongside David and other boys in the school’s Upper VI despite the two-year age difference. John Pennington had left school at this stage.

[bob, the last time I met John Butlin was in 1970. At the time I was rebuilding the engine of my beloved Austin-Healey Sprite Mk I in my father’s garage. John was driving up Blake Lane, spotted me and stopped. I needed a few spare parts which I had located in West Bromwich. When I explained my plight, John didn’t hesitate in lending me his car for the day. I dropped him off at his home just off the Coventry Road, near the Swan, and had the pleasure of driving a brand new MGC across Birmingham for my bits and pieces. John was like that. A truly great bloke – and player! db]

Last edited:
Thanks Zambodini your link made some great reading I was very impressed the History of Aston & Erdinghton school Boys. Imagine all those young boys that became good pro's mainly for the Villa I notice. I did not realize an old friend Gary Shaw played for Kingshurst School. he should have gone on longer as a pro and perhaps an England call up. He had terrible knees as I recall and unfortunately all the jabs that villa injected to get him on the playing surface took its toll on his shortened Pro Football career. He even now still suffers with those knees, but what a great brummie he is!
Unfortunately I still can't find my history of 63.

Please keep them coming David,i feel sure i have already spotted a pal of mine,i will see him this weekend so will find out for certain if it is him.

Copy_of_BGTS_1955-56~0.JPG

BGTS Villa Cup winners 1955/56

Four days ago mossg sent in the above-quoted post. I've just received an IM from him. He met up with the friend he thought he'd spotted in the photograph I posted (Post #63) and they "had a few pints" together. Mr D. Farragher has an excellent memory and could recall the names of eleven of the fourteen faces in the photograph. I hope Moss won't mind if I publish his message to me in its entirety. Here it is :

Hello David,i had a few pints with my pal today,he confirmed that he is in the picture.The names he remembers are as follows :

Back row. Butler. Carter. Dolby. Powers. Orme. ?. ?.

Seated. Glazzard. Farragher. Mr Lunn. Hodges. Howells.

Front. Garvey. ?.

Moss.

So very well done, Moss, in having recognised your friend in the photo and my compliments to Mr Farragher for his brilliant memory.
Merry Christmas, David

[On December 3rd., 2012 (this thread, Post #169), Forum member daverock wrote in saying, "front row left is not Garvey, but Trevor Garey".
Thank you, Dave.]

Last edited:

Here - as promised - is the named copy of the Bordesley Green Tech. team I posted in Post #2 ..... winners of the League and Championship 1960/61. David

BGTS_League___Championship_1960-61_28named29.jpg

Not all the names are clear on the team photo so here we go, left to right they are :

Standing: ..... David Smith, Alan Markland, Malcolm Dudley, Mr Bill Williams, Alan Stubbs, David Taylor, Hugh Evans, Chris Harris

Seated: ........ Barry “Nobby” Clarke, Kenny Honnor, Bernard Riley, John Pennington, Joey O’Neill, Roland Seward, Derrick Dancey

Last edited:
What an interesting site this is. I recall memories of two of the players mentioned; John Pennington and Malcolm Dudley.
I was fortunate to be in same class at Alston Road Junior School as John Pennington and he was well liked for two reasons - first he was good at football and second his parents owned a sweet shop near the Ritz cinema.
I met Malcolm Dudley as an apprentice draughtsman at J P Udal and Co. He was a good engineer and was also a good car mechanic. He put together a hot minivan painted bright orange which he eventually rebuilt into a mini marcos. He also was a good footballer who also played for the Birmingham Battalion of The Boys' Brigade football team. My apologies if this is considered 'off thread' but I thought it was worth recognising these two people.

TOP5Y, Please don't mention John Pennington to me! He was the player who gave me backache in a game at Belchers Lane in 1959! (Please see Post #9.) I hold him responsible for triggering off my present infliction!
Nor Malcolm Dudley .... he kept me out of the Bordesley Green Tech's team in my favourite position!
Nor for that matter - while we're on the subject of playing second fiddle - our member davidfowler, who blocked my way into the Tech's first team on the left wing!
Oh well, I suppose I should thank them really for having diverted my sporting interests and be grateful for all the enjoyment I've had on a rugger pitch! David

Please, please note that this was written tongue-in-cheek 6½ years ago. I considered - and still consider - all three as friends and I certainly didn't intend to "step on toes" in any way. Reading it today, black on white, it seems as if I have a chip on my shoulder about having been kept out of various football teams. It isn't true, as re-reading the final paragraph will illustrate. Sorry, lads, David.

Last edited:
sent to me by Kieth Rowbottom;
Stanville Team who won the Matthew Boulton Shield in 1958/9.

.... yet another one, Bob ..... this photograph was taken in the school's quad in late March 1960 ...... I think.
With thanks to John Lewis (jldell), a former Bordesley Green Tech. pupil.
David

BGTS__1st_XI_1959-60~0.JPG

Last edited:

Thanks a million Dave for coming up with this photo of the 1959-60 team. I am seated 2nd right as you look at it. The only other players names I can definitely remember are Colin (?) Cooper sat on my left and Derek (?) Egington sat on my right. I think the goalkeepers name was Colin Clayton. We were the Birmingham Schools FA Senior Champions that season. My copy of this photo went missing 40 years ago and I'm really chuffed to see it again. If anyone can add any other names I'd be grateful. Obviously the teachers are the one and only E C LUNN and Mr Grey, who taught English as I recall.

..... If anyone can add any other names I'd be grateful. .....

Hello there, Johnny,
What a stroke of luck! Fancy your being on this photograph!
I have a number of things that I hope you can verify:
(a) could you please confirm that the photo shows the school’s First XI;
(b) was it taken during the 1959/60 season (as appears to be written on the ball), or could it have been later;
(c) that your “Egington” was actually “N.J. Edgington”, and therefore not Derek (your question mark expresses a doubt), but I’ve got no idea of his true first name;
(d) that Edgington and John Lewis had trials for the Birmingham and District Grammar Schools side;
(c) that of the twelve matches played (1959/60 was a bad winter!) only one was drawn and one lost (both to Kings Norton Grammar in the Grammar Schools Cup!)

BGTS_1st_XI_1959-60_[Named].JPG

As you can see, I’ve been able to add a scattering of names; I hope my additions will jog your memory and that we can complete the picture between us or – hopefully - with other members’ assistance.
Best regards, David

Last edited:

The BGTS photo that David and Johnny are discussing was taken in 1960. This year was the first that contained both 13+ and 11+ entries; previously the school was solely 13+. New classrooms and other facilities were built. The school playing fields were situated near Olton - buses were provided by the council, and that was where we played the home games. In the 4th year, the two entry streams were amalgamated and streamed by ability. It was apparent from the distribution that there was little difference in ability in the two groups.
I can remember incidents in three of the games we played that season. Against Alston Road, because Alston Road included two of my friends, Roger Pratty and Brian Godsell, against an unnamed team, at home, when I missed an open goal, and the district final which we won easily and which was played on a works pitch; the best surface I'd ever played on. In the final, my opposing full back was huge and had played for Birmingham. Mr Lunn told me to pass as soon as I could and not to try to beat him. I stuck to that for the first half, but found in the second half that he was easily beaten with pace.

Back