• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Birmingham Schools Football History / & photos

Re: Birmingham Schools Football History & Photos

Hi David
It was the 1st X1 and it was 1959-60, photo taken early April or maybe the very end of March. Edgington was a very good player. He was a fine passer of the ball and I am sure he played for the District side along with Cooper. I have to apologise to John Lewis, who I can't place at the moment. I recognise the big guy standing to the right of Colin Clayton and the guy to his right. But I can't recall their names. I recognise John Hedges and (?) Lawton and that's about it at the moment. If anything else comes back to me, I'll let you know.
The only games I remember were the Final against Handsworth New Road, played at W T Avery's ground (won 4-1) and a mid-week game played after school away to (I think) Archbishop Grimshaw (won 4-2, I think).
I don't know if it's possible but I would love to be able to get hold of a copy of the photo. It has a very special value to me because my dear old Dad won the very same trophy in 1931-32 with his school, Loxton Street. I have a photo of that team sporting the trophy and with their medals pinned to their shirts as was the custom in those days. I will post that team photo shortly.
Cheers David

Hi jldell
Good to read your comments. The playing fields were called Gospel Lane ( now the site of houses and a McDonalds). As you will see from my reply to David, the final was played at W T Averys ground. I agree, it was a fine pitch, although bone hard on the day of the final. I do remember Alston Road being one of the schools we played and also Wheelers Lane. But no details I'm afraid.
I have an idea which player you might be. Do you want to tell us?
Cheers
John

Hi David ....... I don't know if it's possible but I would love to be able to get hold of a copy of the photo. It has a very special value to me because my dear old Dad won the very same trophy in 1931-32 with his school, Loxton Street. I have a photo of that team sporting the trophy and with their medals pinned to their shirts as was the custom in those days. I will post that team photo shortly. Cheers David

Johnny, I'm over the moon that I posted this photograph. I think you could probably get away with a 6in.x 4in. copy of the photo posted in Post #87. If you compare it with the photograph in Post #89, I had to do a fair bit of restoration. If it's blown up any more than 9in. x 6in. the damage done to the original will become too noticable, i.e., a tear went right down Colin Clayton and a dog had been at "Eric's" trousers! David

Johnny, if you like, you could IM me your home address (or an incognito forwarding address) and I'll fix you up with a 6x4 print ..... no problem; only too pleased to be of help. David

Last edited:

Johnny
I played on the right wing - I am sat next to Colin Astle who was inside right - so I guess we are posed roughly as we played. I can supply a copy of the photo but would need an email address to send it to.
John

Hi Johnnie Matthews, lets see your dads photo please in yor post #91. I can't waite

Bob Summers

In response to jldell, I went as an 11+ in 1957 so the school already had this intake before 1960. Not knocking you, my memory is also a bit hazy now ;-)

David
We are both right - the first 11+ entry was 1956 and it had reached the 'under 15' level in 1960 eg Colin and I were 11+, Edgington was 13+.
John

Hi Jean, I'm pretty sure that on second photo. Top Row - 5 from left Roy Lee. Bottom Row - 2 from right ......... Wassell. I know some of the faces of some the others but cannot remember their names.

View attachment 64102

This is my first attempt to post attachment on this site. Hopefully it's worked. If not I'll have to try again.
Fingers crossed then that I have now posted photo of Loxton Street 1st X1 1931-32. My father, Harold Matthews, is standing top right as we look at the photo.

Here's Johnny Matthews's photograph :

Loxton_Street_School_football_team.JPG

...... and what a photograph !!!!
Brilliant, John. Congratulations to both you and your dad. This shot takes the biscuit! D.

Last edited:

John
Many thanks for the offer of photo but Dave beat you to it. Really appreciated though.
I am so embarrassed that I can't recall you and Colin. Whether it's because I was a 13+ (April 58-April 60) and we didn't see much else of each other, I don't know. But I'm going to go and sit in a dark corner for the rest of the evening and put my thinking cap on. As a matter of interest, do you recall me being in the side?

Cheers
Johnny

What a great historic photo Johnny. Love the very smart kit & Boots. they must have been a real good team to have won so many trophies. I wonder if any one made pro status?

Bob

..... so these two lads with the same surname - obviously, being son and father -

John___John_s_Dad.JPG

won the very same trophy

Schools__Cup.JPG

........ with a 28-year difference! Incredible!
Any connection with ....... ?

Stanley_Matthews.jpg

Last edited:

Johnny
I remember you - but not a lot!
I have the original of the photo - Dave copied it from my Facebook page - which led me to this forum.
John

John
I will always be grateful to you for posting it on your Facebook page and making it possible for me to have a copy again after all these years.

Tell me John, what other teams did you play for. I wouldn't be surprised if our paths crossed somewhere along the way.

Cheers
Johnny

Johnny
For a couple of years, I played for a Boy's Brigade team but in 1959, a couple of local fathers organised a local (to Stechford/South Yardley) Sunday team playing in the Festival League (Marlborough FC, named after the local park). This team was completely outclassed during our first year because we were too young and small but over the next few years, partly because we recruited some better players, we became competitive and challenged for the league title.
Unfortunately, in 1962, while playing for BGTS, I injured my knee. Although unable to walk, I was left to my own devices re getting home from Gospel Lane. The following day, after no improvement, my father took me to hospital, where the injury was made worse by the treatment and it was 3-4 months before I played again. It was always a problem from then on.
I played for teams in Leeds where I went to University and for Ward End Unity, occasionally, during holidays, but I gave up in 1965, and concentrated on other sports.

Incidentally, I think it was Norman Edginton. Norman and I did go to some trials for a representative team as mentioned in a previous post. The whole experience was a bit of a shambles; about 70 lads keen to show what they could do; and a large number of officials giving conflicting instructions. Although I played on the wing for BGTS, I played at right back for the Sunday team, so, although I played in several part games during the afternoon, it was never in either of my preferred positions.

John

John
Sorry to hear about your injury. There certainly wasn't a surfeit of medical knowledge amongst our "managers" and "trainers" back in those days was there. A bucket of cold water and a sponge was as far as it went. So the damage was often done by the time you got to a doctor - and very often they seemed to resent you getting injured playing sport and treated you grudgingly.
I had a similar experience on the trials front too. Just before I passed my exam for BGTS, I was asked to attend "trials" for the Erdington & Saltley District Schools Rep side and all we did was take penalties for half an hour and that was it.
Anyway, I was playing for a side called Ward End Celtic in the Coronation League Under 18 Division at the same time as BGTS. We were giving away 2/3 yrs too. But we had some very good players, far better than me, and were very successful. Funny enough, I played full back in that side.
I ended up playing mainly for works sides in the Coronation League, Festival League and finished up with Greaves FC in the North Bham Premier. I also played cricket and I'm sure I used to play against Ward End Unity.
I didn't do well at BGTS John and left without taking any exams and was a working man a few weeks after we had that team photo taken. I'm pleased to hear you went to University and I hope you've had a good career. Tell me more if you wish.
Best regards
John

Johnny
I'm not quite sure of the etiquette of these forums - but maybe we need to find another way of communicating. I am on facebook and friends reunited - are you?
John

View attachment 65562 Harry Lucas circ1963 under14s? Williams(teacher)F Lambert B Singh ? Palmer P Simmons P Watson (teacher)A Fay G Morrel A Bannister T Goody A Feeney G Taylor J Wade

Your attachment wouldnt open Graham, can you post it again, i was with Frankie Lambert about 18 months back. Max

Hi Max seems ok here if it does not open by clicking on Attachment 65562 i have also posted it under Harry Lucas and it opens ok .Cheers

Stanmore Secondary Modern 2nd Year team 1970/71

In the centre of the back row (4th from right) is Bob Hazell who went on to play for Wolves, QPR, Leicester, Reading & Port Vale.
Not sure what the cup is!

Hi Max seems ok here if it does not open by clicking on Attachment 65562 i have also posted it under Harry Lucas and it opens ok .Cheers

It still wouldnt open for me, Graham, but DB84124 has posted it. great photo thanks all ( any more please ) Max

Attachment not working, lease let one of the admin team know if you have this image. Thanks.

Hi all
this could be one of the oldist school team photos .formans rd b team 1949.View attachment 66089

Last edited by a moderator:
Back