• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Birmingham pubs

billyo

Brummie babby
G'Day,
In researching my Wilson maternal ancestors who travelled from Gloucestershire via Birmingham to South Australia I came across a number of pubs in the extended family:
1 "The Mug", 7 Chapel Street, run by George Wilson, a nephew of my great Great Grandfather, William Wilson, from poss mid late 1880's along with brothers-in-law, Erich Boaler and William Andrews. May also be poss early as 1850's.
2, George Wilson and wife at the "Victoria Inn", 87 Cardigan LAne , Duddeston in 1901 census.
3 "Duddeston Hall Inn", 49 cato St. Run by Erich Boaler with wife Alice, (nee Wilson). Alice died in 1917 and left business to two sons. future unknown
4 "Green Man", litchfield road, Erdington, run by Thomas Wright, Father of Elizabeth Wright who married my GG grandfather William Wilson. Thomas was with his son William Wright in the 1861 census. Thomas died in 1862 with Letters of Admin to William of 27 Upper Ryland Street.
5. This is the address of the "Ben Barn Inn", Erdington. William was there in 1871. However I now have doubts that this William is correct which could mean that Thomas is also not my Thomas.

Being in Aus all my research is via resources on-line. I would love to find references to any of the above pubs or beer houses. Hopefully this may help in firming up the identity of William Wright of the Ben Barn Inn. When he died he left the business to his housekeeper Harriet Breedon.

I see on her marriage to William Wilson, Elizabeth Wright's abode is listed as Bromsgrove St where she appears to be on the 1851 census with father and siblings.

The age of Thomas and William and Thomas' birthplace are fairly good matches to that info for the Thomas and William of Lichfield Road on the 1861 census.

However, the William Wright who left his business to Harriet Breedon is not the William Wright son of Thomas and brother of Elizabeth. He was born in Nottinghamshire (Kneesall or Newark) and is listed at Bell Barn Road in 1861, a widower, as a beer seller. The Bell Barn Inn/Tavern was on the corner of Bell Barn Road and Upper Ryland St.

Erich Boaler is registered as Enoch and is mainly listed as such.

Alice's sons...

John George Boaler married Jessie Ada Martin in 1913 and possibly had 2 children - John George (1913) and Edna L (1916-1928). They were living at 302 Soho Road in 1939. John died in 1959 and Jessie in 1971.

Valentine Alfred Boaler married Amy Eveline Webster and had 3 children - Alfred Montague W (1913), Valerie E (1920) & Douglas (1927-1927). They were living at 76 Farndon Road in 1939. Valentine died in 1968 and Amy in 1960

G'Day,
In researching my Wilson maternal ancestors who travelled from Gloucestershire via Birmingham to South Australia I came across a number of pubs in the extended family:
1 "The Mug", 7 Chapel Street, run by George Wilson, a nephew of my great Great Grandfather, William Wilson, from poss mid late 1880's along with brothers-in-law, Erich Boaler and William Andrews. May also be poss early as 1850's.
1883 Kelly's directory lists the Mug House but with different licensee.
1648990699930.png
Earlier (1878) it was William Nicklin
By 1890 it was
1648990895809.png

I don't have access to directories inbetween.

G'Day,

3 "Duddeston Hall Inn", 49 cato St. Run by Erich Boaler with wife Alice, (nee Wilson). Alice died in 1917 and left business to two sons. future unknown
Owned by Davenorts Brewery. Enoch paid rent to them in 1896
1648991740186.png

I see on her marriage to William Wilson, Elizabeth Wright's abode is listed as Bromsgrove St where she appears to be on the 1851 census with father and siblings.

The age of Thomas and William and Thomas' birthplace are fairly good matches to that info for the Thomas and William of Lichfield Road on the 1861 census.

However, the William Wright who left his business to Harriet Breedon is not the William Wright son of Thomas and brother of Elizabeth. He was born in Nottinghamshire (Kneesall or Newark) and is listed at Bell Barn Road in 1861, a widower, as a beer seller. The Bell Barn Inn/Tavern was on the corner of Bell Barn Road and Upper Ryland St.

Erich Boaler is registered as Enoch and is mainly listed as such.
Thanks a lot for response.
Yes Erich was Enoch. That was a typo on my part.
Yes I agree William wright of Bell Barn is not mine. I didn't have an 1861 census for him so that now confirms it. He also left his estate to a sister Sarah Poore. My William did have a sister Sarah but she died early.
This means that there were two Thomas with son William Wrights in Erdington in the pub game in 1861!
The question is what happened after 1861 to the "Green Man"? back to Ancestry for me.
Thanks again.

hi billyo not quite sure what you mean by what happened to the green man but if its the pub i am thinking of its still a pub and of course a very old one

lyn

hi billyo not quite sure what you mean by what happened to the green man but if its the pub i am thinking of its still a pub and of course a very old one

lyn
Hi Astonless,
Thanks. There is a lot mentioned on ancillary threads about the Green Man. Hoping to get to Brum later this year (covid allowing) and will have to have a half.
Bill

1650474145916.png
Does anyone have any information about the White Swan in Hampton Street? This article is from the Birmingham Daily Post - Monday 11 August 1873. I've been researching Thomas Wattis. In 1871 census he was listed at 12 Hampton Street - was this the White Swan? He was not listed as a beer retailer. I know he moved further up Hampton Street after 1873 and later was had up on manslaughter charges after the death of his first wife, but the charges were dropped. Would like to know more about the street and the pub. also, was there a pen nib factory in Hampton Street - there was another Wattis who worked as a pen nib maker during this time. Many thanks.

There are some photos of Hampton Street here

There are some photos of Hampton Street here
Thank you

Back