• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Ye Old Green Man/The Lad in the Lane

Frothblower

Lubrication In Moderation
Earliest known photo of Ye Old Green Man (Lad In The Lane) Erdington about 1895.
Second photo stripped down to it's timbers and rebuilt in 1915

Attachments

• Kingstanding Old Green Man- Lad in the Lane.jpg
    Kingstanding Old Green Man- Lad in the Lane.jpg
    235.3 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
Hi there group,

I am trying to find any graphic details on the history of Ye Old Green Man/The Lad in the Lane public house in Erdington, I have heard that is the oldest pub in Birmingham?
I realise it hasnt always been a pub and I would like (if possible) info on its pre-pub history . . . . .
ive been told it dates from 1400's?

I hope someone out there has history or knows where I could obtain the history?

Many thanks in advance guys

Rano82

Thanks for the tip Arthur,

Thats where I actually started my search . . . good old Wiki
But that seems to be the limit of info the web has to offer?

The Lad in the Lane/ Green Man has been confirmed as Brums oldest pub by using carbon dating of the wood beams in the pub. Len.

I could be wrong but I thought the Old Crown in Digbeth was the oldest pub in Brum.

From what I gather the crown is the oldest pub for the fact it has always been a pub?
The Green Man/The Lad in the Lane however is an older building and hasnt always been used as a pub?
Im trying to find out its pre pub history but there is nothing in the historical archives unfortunetly

Rano, I was in the Central Library yesterday checking on Electoral Registers for "my area" which includes Bromford Lane and I came across these 2 bits.

1906/06 Register of Electors
Frederick Charles Wiseman
Green Man, Bromford Lane. Also The Gate, Lichfield Rd, Aston Manor.

1912/13 Register of Electors
William Garratty
Old Green Man, Bromford Lane. Also 17 Alleyene Rd, Erdington.

Funnily enough some of my relations were living in Alleyene Road at the same time. Also, my Grandad played football for the "Lad" in the early 1900s. This photo still hangs in one of the pub's rooms. I have it thanks to a regular visitor, Frothblower!

Hi there group,

I am trying to find any graphic details on the history of Ye Old Green Man/The Lad in the Lane public house in Erdington, I have heard that is the oldest pub in Birmingham?
I realise it hasnt always been a pub and I would like (if possible) info on its pre-pub history . . . . .

Rano82

Dendrochronology testing at The Lad In The Lane puts it's start date as Spring 1400.
Dendrochronology testing was tried at the Old Crown at Digbeth unsuccessfully. Historians put it as 1480's.
The Lad as only been a pub since 1780's while the Crown goes back to 1589.
This makes the Crown the oldest pub in Brum and the Lad the oldest building.
of course there older Churches.

Hi there group,

Rano82
I had a book, "Inns and Ales of Old England". It has some of the history of the Green Man. Perhaps it may be available in the Library.
Steve

Hi,

Interesting few facts from David Fowler in the thread regarding William Garraty.

I had been told that William (Billy) www.billygarraty.com had run the pub but then could find no evidence of the same. However, at least one of his children was apparently born in the pub this being Gwen. I have just received this info from Gwen's daughter in law who was told the story sometime before Gwen's death.

My Mother has an original photo hanging up of the Aston Villa team in front of the pub which I will hope to add to my website at some point. I would like to establish exactly when William ran the pub.

Does anyone have an idea where I can find out this info perhaps from any old records. Is there an official Ansells historian? If you have any pointers could you please mail me through my website as I am really on this website.

Kind regards - Joe Burke

Hi Joe
you will find William Garraty (1879) his wife Annie(1882) born Goldenhill Staffordshire. sister Edith (1886) barmaid daughter Doris(1911) living at the Ye Olde Green Man Bromford lane on the 1911 Census

Lad in the lane ( Ye old green man ) Bromford lane Erdington.
In 1931 and 2010.

Image5.jpg

Last edited:
While researching my family tree today, I found a reference to one of my Great Grand Mothers (Margaret Butler - Nee Webb) leasing the Old Green Man from Heneage Legge in 1758.

I also have Margaret Butler in my tree and I remember reading a will which mentions the Green Man being left to one of the children. There is another member on this forum who has a lot more information, Keith Salisbury. Maybe he can help.

Back