• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Birmingham Pals 16th Battalion Royal Warwicks A/Capt Bernard Gossell Holt

crodgers

Hi all,
I was hoping someone could help me sort out a mystery I have with regards to a Officer of the 16th Battalion (3rd Birmingham). Royal Warwicks
His name was Bernard Gossell Holt….I found in the London Gazette 17th March 1915 where he is to be a temporary Second Lieutenant but that is about it. I located his MIC but it states that he was A/Captain and that theatre of war first served was India?
I was hoping someone may have a bit of information that could clear this up.
Kind Regards
Cam

If it is of any help, his army service record is held at the National Archives in Kew. It is document reference number WO 339/25091.

He is on the Absent voter’s list 1918,19,20 at 46 Mayfield Road, 2/Lieut., 36 Div. Sig. Co., RE. Army Number 5121.

Hi all,
Thanks for the replies
Chris: I did know about the army service record at kew....but I rather think that I won't be getting there anytime soon. Pity the record hasn't beed digitized.

Bewdley: I found that information as well and it has confused me further. I have just located the LG from 23rd March 1921

Warwick. R.

The undermentioned temp. Lts. relinquish their Commissions on completion, of servicefrom the dates specified, and are granted the rank of Capt.:—

T. T. Heaton, M.C. 10 Jan. 1919. B. G. Holt. 3 Sept. 1920.

So the mystery deepens. Thanks for the replies I really appreciate it.
Kind Regards
Cam
CamKind Regards

I have 2nd Lt B G Holt with the 3rd Birmingham. But no other info. The only reference to him was from the Birmingham City Battalions Book of Honour. There is a picture of all the officers of the 3rd B'ham Bn. Underneath the names it gives another few names of officers who were not present when the photograph was taken. One of these was 2nd Lt B G Holt.

Terry

hi terry ;
i would like to asked you a question do you know if all of our comrads during world war one was issued with a small bible
the reason i am asking is my daughter came to see me last night and she tells me she was trying to sell a small bible dated in writing of a bible
which there was writing of a passage i just cannot recall the excact wording it was hand written to what i could see
and it was written by lord roberts i was wondering it was an army issue to our pld comrads of the forces or could it be a one off ;
i told my daughter to take it some where to valu it she as a huge collelction of old bibles she as a huge one with the orinigle drawing daying back to at least 1400s
its full of magnif pictures and each one it as a tissue cover over them but as i said i am queering this hand bible was it a personal issue to our men
as it was hand written could you confirm whether or not thank you best wishes astonian;;

The answer is I do not know for sure. However lots of WW1 soldiers had a Lord Roberts New Testament bible. I suppose A soldier could get one if he wanted one.

Terry

Hi Terry,
Thanks for the reply. Things are even more confsing now that 3rd Birmingham has been thrown into the mix. Fingers crossed something comes up and answers my question.
I appreciate your replies.
Cam

Hello Cam

Perhaps he was only attached to the 3rd B'ham Bn during their training period. The battalions went to France on 21 Nov 1915. There is no date on B G Holt's Medal index card only that he had served in India

Terry

The is a mention of 3rd Birmingham on the London Gazette entry, similar bracketed entries on the same page, seem to indicate a change of Regiment.

Colin

Attachments

• Holt.JPG
    Holt.JPG
    21.8 KB · Views: 7
Hello Cam

Perhaps he was only attached to the 3rd B'ham Bn during their training period. The battalions went to France on 21 Nov 1915. There is no date on B G Holt's Medal index card only that he had served in India

Terry

Hello Terry,
Having recently finished reading it, can I take this opportunity to say what an excellent book I found "Birmingham Pals" to be.
The amount of research that went into the book is amazing and even in kindle format, most of the photos could be viewed.
My compliments.

Back