• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Birmingham Nightclubs of the Past - Memories

Hello Jean Ann. There was a club called Sloopys in Corporation St maybe you meant that. It was near the road that now leads to the Law Courts.

Johnpress - I used to go regularly to the Moat House in the early 60s. I always thought it was in Moat Lane, so I have learned something from you! Mind you Moat Lane does lead into Bradford Street doesn't it? I remember a lot of the Aston Villa and Birmingham City footballers used to use it as well and I knew a lot them. You are the first person that I have seen on the Forum that knows about it. I had forgotten the name Rob Pryke till you mentioned him.

Judy

Johnpress - I used to go regularly to the Moat House in the early 60s. I always thought it was in Moat Lane, so I have learned something from you! Mind you Moat Lane does lead into Bradford Street doesn't it? I remember a lot of the Aston Villa and Birmingham City footballers used to use it as well and I knew a lot them. You are the first person that I have seen on the Forum that knows about it. I had forgotten the name Rob Pryke till you mentioned him.

Judy

Ahem Jayell....teehee....https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=29245&highlight=Denny+Laine...been there, done that...sorry...lol...

This will astound you judy ........ Well , it may do ............ I actually remember the phone number of the moat house club , it was V.I.C 2176 , V.I.C meant Victoria which was how phone numbers were formatted in the days before numerical numbers

Hi I do remember a place called Sloopys cant remember where it was don't really remember the rum runner my nightclub years were from 78 to 81 after that I came to Australia

Oop - apologies Dennis! I must have missed that. Maybe we bumped into each other once or twice hee hee!

I must have seen Johnpress's dad a few times as well. Funny how some telephone numbers stick in your head John. I can still remember our old phone number in Handsworth when I was growing up - NOR 0769.

Judy

I was thinking there used to be a night club close to the Oasis market in the late 70s also remember a place called the Buccaneer don't know if it was a pub or a club?? also used to have some great nights at the Mackadown down by Tile Cross in the days of posers who loved Roxy Music and Spandau Ballet oh those where the days!!

I just posted a long winded reply to you all , then lost it , so here goes again . The moat house was definitely at the bottom of Bradford st and was 200 yards down from the castaways club . it was next to a pub called the drovers and opposite was a very imposing pub called the Birmingham arms which had its own coaching entrance , the club was also opposite a massive slaughter house . when I was waiting for the club to open on a sunday night , I often saw a bullock running around the street . The club owner (rob pryke ) also had a betting shop on the ground floor of the 3 story building , the clubroom was at the top of a long flight of stairs and was frequented by well know people , the one that springs to mind was the Birmingham boxer Johnny Prescott

And just for the record , I even remember the phone number in 1963 ..... it was Victoria 2176 , but YOU dialled V.I.C 2176 , I bet im the only person in existence that remembers that !

Ye Old Moat House Club was situated at 342 Bradford St above the Bookies as stated and with a butchers shop on either side.

To add to my previous post, I know MikeJee has a photo that shows about half of this club in his collection. As I don't think he has ever put it on the forum I won't put it up, but if he sees this he may.

Phil - let's hope that MikeJee reads this thread and can find the photo you mentioned. I would love to see it as I really can't remember the interior. Thanks for confirming the address of the Moathouse, Phil.

Johnpress - Impressive memory for phone numbers :encouragement: My friend used to go out with Johnny Prescott and I went out with Derek Dougan (Aston Villa) in those days. Derek and John were best pals.

Judy

Last edited:
Reading all these club names brings it all back my time was early 80s i was out 7 nights aweek and work in morning people used to call me for being out 7 nights aweek at the stage of life im at now i do not regret it weekdays was always the gary owen we used to say we do not whistle dixie in here boy? weekends was bogies oh yea the Duck on Hagley road seen a few fights never got into trouble meself proud of it just out for drinking girls music and dancing how did we do it if me and wife hav a nite out now we need a week off to get over it? just not Dorian Gray.

Jayell, I never went inside this club probably because I never felt the need. we weren't exactly spoilt for choice in the early 60's but I was probably happy using the dive that I used.

Does anyone remember the DJ Dave Terry?

Yes, I do but I can't quite remember where from, I think it was somewhere other than the Parasol though.
From what I can vaguely recollect he was a nice guy - trying to bring him to mind - had he got dark hair and not very tall?

Here is the picture Phil referred to. I'm afraid Judy will be disappointed as it is not the interior but part of the exterior.

20A__Nos3402C3412Bpart_342_Bradford_st~0.jpg

Thank you very much Mike for the photo. It looks pretty scruffy outside doesn't it? But I don't think I ever saw the entrance in daylight before :biggrin: I must show your picture to my sister as she also went to the club a lot as well.

Judy

Doe anyone remember the elbow room in newton ? , it was just yard from the bartons arms which of course is still there and always will be

Yes indeed, used to go there sometimes from the late 60's to mid 70's.
I'm sure there are mentions of it on other threads here.

Doe anyone remember the elbow room in newton ? , it was just yard from the bartons arms which of course is still there and always will be
Certainly do, during my brief spell working for Kim Cabs and Z cars taxi's we were never away from there. A girl named Cheryl worked there during the mid to late sixties, think she worked in the cloakroom.

Here is the picture Phil referred to. I'm afraid Judy will be disappointed as it is not the interior but part of the exterior.

20A__Nos3402C3412Bpart_342_Bradford_st%7E0.jpg

My Godfathers Mike....it looks very scruffy and utterly unlovable here....but what memories...I never saw it in the light...and rarely without a shed load of Brown and Mild onboard...how the memory makes fools of us all, and romantices your youthful Dream Palaces...it was my Camelot in them days...full of damsels in distress, and big old tough geezers in Tom Waters or Pressburger suits ...one to be saved..the others to be avoided at all costs, especially if you wre caught 'piping my bird'....I was only 17 and a right old stick insect...but I tried, by golly I tried...and as for that minx Judy slumming it with the Doog and my hero Johnny Prescott..well ...and she lived to tell the tale!...she must have been Townie Royalty...I am in awe Jude, total gobsmackin' awe girl...!!!! I once met Prescott et al at the Cresta on my stag night in '67...guests of Chrissy Fewtrell (name dropper too)....JP and Freddy Pickering were so ratted they were crawling on all fours...totally aphasic, but still on the pull...and Fred had a game the next day...boy they could go some, them blokes...and all "dressed up like a pox doctor's clerk" as my nan would say...magical memories.....my deepest thanks for posting mike...owe you yet another one...

Ha ha! Dennis - I have to agree with you, my memories have been a bit shaken after having seen Mike's photo! But like you, I never saw the club in daylight! It always seemed such a cool place to go to and be seen in - from my memories I can just remember a very steep staircase to get into the club, and it seemed quite sophisticated inside from what I remember - or would those memories be shattered as well if we saw an interior shot? Yes Dennis I was part of the 'town crowd' in those days. I vaguely knew the Fewtrells, Eddie and Frank and their wives, from my days visiting the Bermuda (you would be too young Dennis!!) - I can name drop too :encouragement:

Judy

BrumMidnight_   midnight city no2.jpgHere's another one owned by the same family below the Moat House but it failed to get a drinks licence and closed after a few months, pity they had some great bands on

It's a funny old fact how clubs seemed attractive and exciting as we drank and danced late into the night.
In the cold light of day...what a difference!
I bet few of us noticed or cared about the grubby carpets, peeling wallpaper and scruffy furniture, which were mercifully hidden in the gloom.
As we propped up the bar, eyed-up the talent or took to the dance floor the decor was far from our thoughts.
The dingy little alleys and back streets where many of the best clubs were found seemed enticing at midnight but rather less so at midday.

Yes , you absolutely correct . I didn't realise what a tatty facade the moat house had until someone posted a photo on her yesterday , but then , that was in the early 60's when clubs didn't have the gilts and decor we now expect . When my dad worked there on a fri , sat sun night in the cloakroom . He used to take me , and it was an exciting atmosphere for a lad of 12 to be in . I eventually started to help out in the kitchens and went on to have a part time job fri, sat and sun nite until 6 months before i left harry lucas in 1965

I never realised the Moat House was that scruffy either!
Mind you, I didn't see it during the day and couldn't see it very well at night, not through my false eyelashes and with a few drinkie-poos inside me!
I do remember going to a Jazz Day organised by Rob Pryke at his place (field .. farm..?)in Earlswood. I expect I was ratted then as well, mis-spent youth and all that.

I also went to rob prykes jazz fesrival , me and one of the chefs ran the hotdog stand , it was in fulford hall where he lived , which was owned by rob pryke , he had two sons ...... one was called robin and cant remember the other ? his wife drove a grey aston martin . Rob pryke always wore a bowler hat and a carnation in his buttonhole , he was famed for that

I was at the jazz festival at Fulford Hall at Earlswood in 1962. I didn't realise that it was Rob Pryke's house, but I don't suppose it would have mattered even if I did. I wasn't a jazz fan anyway and I was only there for the atmosphere.

Wow, some great clubs mentioned on here, after 104 pages cant remember what has and hasn't been mentioned so lets just go with those I frequented,
Top Rank, Pagoda Park, Powerhouse, The Dome, The Millionaire, Edwards, Snobs, Rum Runner, Faces, Mr Moons, Opposite Lock, those were the ones around town.
Then of course the Gary Owen on the Cov Road.

Back