• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birmingham Nightclubs of the Past - Memories

Hi Dennis

Many thanks. I went past the (new) showroom some months ago, but could not remember where it was. I thought some of Bill Landons sons where still working with the firm, but alas no. I do not know the Grandsons, but thanks again for the message. I am in Ladywood, every week, and have been past the old Cinema, where Landons Bathrooms where, now demolished unfortunately. Another Victorian\Edwardian Building has bit the dust! Regards from Jacko.:redface:

A little later the upstairs room hosted Henrys Blues House a couple of the regulars were Champion Jack Dupree a one man blues band and Bakerloo blues band Bernie

i went to locarno,humming bird ,dale end,millionaires?snobs,edward,s., custard house.all them.

hi jacko
how are you mate, just picked up on your picture , yes i reconised you straight away
and your good lady as clear as a bell both of you ;
if you remember i asked you if you would have kown big mick at the time but also you would have known little freddy whom was always in there with his friend [ girl ] lorraine ;
as i can remember you very vividly and your style of dress very well indeed
and i know i used to frequent there in the sme time as also roger the good looking one the ladies man dressed in is navvy uniform top grat guy and very much the gentle man and womiser whom i knew all the years back from school days as well yes the pub club was very viberante in that period
but any way i thought i must tell you ;yes i renconised you both straight away ;
have a good day to you both ;; astonian ;;

Hi Astonian

Is it possible for you to contact me using my email address? If this is OK, we can discuss things in more detail?

Regards from Jacko.:redface:

I worked for black & white taxis and spent a bit of time in the Jug & Alberts wine bar:)

I worked for black & white taxis and spent a bit of time in the Jug & Alberts wine bar:)

Was Black and White Taxis run by Pete Hurst, originally Kim Cabs ? I worked with Pete a Keith in the late sixties then moved to Z cars in Aston (owners name was Danny). If it was Pete he had a fleet of almost new Vauxhall 101's all sprayed Black and White.

Anybody else remember the no hats rule at Barbarellas ?

Nobody, and I mean nobody could get in with a hat, even if it was raining and they took it off at the door.

I didnt often queue to get in there, but I saw people turned away before they even got to the door.

Wonder what that was all about. Red green & gold tea cosies ?

Interesting - I don't ever remember that rule but then I don't think anyone I knew wore a hat then so I suppose I wouldn't have noticed.

Was a rule there in the 70s.

Dont think it was really anything to do woth the rasta's wooly hats though, there was a Reggae room in there as well as the cabaret and rock rooms.

Bit before my time ,was there early 80's & the owners name evades me .I also worked for Bee line & Falcon..Charlie.. ? was the owner of falcon

Fantastic pic Stitcher, Jonny Moore RIP was Mr Drifter to me, i saw them a few times at The Night Out. Max

I posted a long time back that some of them called occasionally at our house.

Back