• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Birmingham Nightclubs of the Past - Memories

I was trying to think of the name of the resident group at the Plaza Handsworth the other night and couldn't remember thanks, it was of coarse the Red Caps spent many a happy hour with them in the interval having a drink when Charlie Simpson came on for an hour

For me it was also the Tower and the West End, but there was a Jazz Club in Brum during the late 50's, but can't remember the name. There was a late night Coffee Bar at the top of Summer Hill. I used to go there and drink Frothy Coffee a lot.

Maggs.

There were a few jazz clubs in the Digbeth area I used to go to. One was called the Midland Jazz Club but I cant remember the others.

There was a jazz club attached to the el sombrero coffee bar on the horse fair now known as bristol rd

yes remember that one it was the co-op also used to be a dance at the old midland red club and the old swan at yardley they had some great singers used to get up ..there was big tex and a one armed guy called johnny demsey had a real crush on him.... also used to be a good night at the selly oak tavern. Theres still some good singers you get in the Irish pubs on a sunday afternoon and mondays . It used to be held at the Kerry man ex little bull in digbeth but not been home for a couple of years and "the crowd" has moved anyone know where?
Jean

There was also a dance on Sat. nights at the Rainbow Rooms on to of the Co-op shop in High Street, City Centre. I saw a few good groups there, including the Birmingham group, The Rockin Berries. Wonder where they are now.

your right about the girl singer jean she did get engaged to bomber but not long after she got killed in a car crash not long after on her way home from nottingham i think very tragic jharris

Hello Patty.

You mentioned mavis's on the Lichfield Road would this be Mavis Cox, my mum used to have her hair done there. Am I right in thinking that her mum used to run a small shop also. I lived right by there. I heard that Mavis went on to run a flower shop. Do you also remember a lady named Joyce she lived next door to Cox's she was a friend of my mums Winnie.

Hi Patty, re-post 361 sorry posted before I had finished :beam: to continue, my mum and joyce used to go out for a drink together and I have a lovely picture of them in some pub or club local to the area, but I do not know the name. I will get it off my son and post it on the site.

The very same one Valerie, it would be great if you could find the photo I probably have done your moms hair, how old is she? I am still in touch with Mavis she lives in Los Angoles now, Rodeo Drive. Her Hubby Peter died and she married a German hairdresser that lived over there. All the girls meet up when she comes over going over some stories from the past. I think I put a photo on of us all, I will try and find it out and put it on. Were Mrs cox's shop was I think there was an entry and some house at the back, a girl called Barbara used to live there, cant think of her other name she had red hair, she used to work at Mavis's too.

View attachment 29025

Valerie this is the one Barbara on left then me, Mavis, Jill , Carol, Rhoda and Dianne
Not sure if this is supposed to be on here as we are wandering off topic.

Last edited:
i used to go to he continenal club on soho rd just by st mishaels hill left of the traffice lights andyou would go down to the basements steps and knock on the big steel door
and a little hatch would open and see who you was before letting you in i would be there al night until six in the morning dancing and drinking barley wines
cor . those were the days my friends
have a nice day every body astonian ;;

In the 80's used to got to Romeo and Juliets - Smallbrook Queensway which then became Pagoda Park, Faces at five ways and the Dome.
I remember the Dome when it was the Night Out - too young to go clubbing then but my Mum took me to see a fashion show there in the early seventies(?). I think Katie Boyle was there as a presenter and Teasey Weasey - (Raymond the hairdresser) giving hair demonstrations.
Polly

I remember going to a night-club round about mid-80's, I think it was Pagoda Park,in the city centre,and an unannounced performance was made by UB40 ,with Robert Plant.They had just come off tour,and were putting on a concert the next day ( saturday ) in a park in Birmingham,but I can't remember which park.Does anybody remember anything about this. Tragically of course, Robert Plant is no longer with us.This club appearance appeared to be quite informal, it certainly wasn't advertised,but I suppose it must have been by prior arrangement.Anyway, if anybody has more information, let us know, Mal.

Yes, you're quite right, it was Robert Palmer, I knew when I wrote it something sounded wrong,I do know Robert Plant is still alive,and hopefully well,I just hope his facalties are a bit better than mine appear to be, cheers, Mal.

I thought I'd seen a ghost then, as Robert Plant lives in Kinver by my daughter and I saw him in the pub there 3 weeks ago

The City centre,well,anywhere from the Rotunda,to the top of Broad street,do you remember The Parisian?The smallest dancefloor in the world i think,And also in Coventry,there was Studio 21,does anyone remember that?

Hi bode5997

I do remember The Parisian - we didn't go there very often, I seem to remember it was quite rough, pint glasses used to fly round the room !

Hi Jean Nesbitt

When you said the Selly Oak Tavern, did you mean the Selly Park Tavern on the Pershore Road?

:)

too long ago to remember we went to the old swan at yardley at the same time when the pianist was a lovely guy who was blind name of Frank. I won a pair of diamante earings for having the worst voice in the room ..last time I ever sang apart from in the bath.
Jean

We used to go to the Tower in Edgebaston, jnown then as the "Gay Tower" the "Gay" was removed later I believe.

The resident bands were Harvest and Johny Johnson?? or something like that and of course it featured the revolving stage.

I met a rather nice girl from Wordsley who was then a student nurse at Corbett Hospital, Stourbridge. We got married in 1976.:)

Bill Parker, when I worked on the door at the Gay Tower it was Bobby Johnson and his big band, and the Tubby Dunn Trio.

Back