• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birmingham Nightclubs of the Past - Memories

Used to spend many a happy night with Robbie snr and his wife who was a lovely lady at the fluer also remember me and a mate going back to the mansion with young robbie when the folks were away wow what a place that was, we were all a bit P***** up and were chasing the cows to do some rodeo riding ..went out with Robbie for a while crazy days......

does any one remember the RITZ in kings heath live music Sunday nights , saw some
great acts in the 60's Yardbirds,Bee Gee's, Small Faces, Pink Floyd, Moody Blues
Spencer Davis and many more .
The Ritz had a sister club in Handsworth called The Plaza , same acts only the Plaza
was open the Saturday night.
Also does any one remember the Chesterfield Club Shard End ?

Steve welcome to the best forum going,if you read all the posts on this thread you will find posts by one of our old members Bob Summers who talks a lot about the Ritz

Mossy

There was a small intimate club in Park Street, that I can't remember the name of, just up from Lorenzo's. Brenda Scott was resident there, early to mid seventies.

Ann

Ann B, if we are thinking of the same place it was upstairs in the next building to Lorenzos.

Yes, same place, Stitcher. It was upstairs. A lot of detectives used it. My friend, Diane, also used to sing there sometimes. And me just the once. Diane was resident at The Romulus on the Hagley Rd., which later became Liberty's.

Ann

I must admit this site is very nostalgic to me as I left Birmingham in 1976 for where I live now in Southern California.
I remember all those clubs. All nighters at the Whiskey even the Twisted Wheel in Manchester.
I played for a short while in a house band at the Rum Runner and Castaways where I met my first wife Cheryl Turner.
She lived on May lane in Kings Heath until we got married in 1974.
We split or should I say she dumped me and I came to the US
I have never been able to contact her ever since though I wrote.
I actually was born in Kingstanding but lived a long time at a pub in Walsall. (Three Men in a Boat)
But hey I had so much fun going to all those night clubs back then.
I even played for a while with Sight and Sound right before coming here.

www.billbonham.com

Welcome to the Forum Bill. Glad that this site has rekindled your memories of Brum.
Hope you will post some other memories for us.

Hi Bill,

If you played with Sight and Sound (remember cheeky Pete and Joe, the drummer) and at the Rum, there is a good chance I knew you. I worked fridays and saturdays at the Rum, about '68 to' 70. Sight and Sound were good!

Ann

It is a long time ago we had Geoff Turton on vocals from the rockin berries when I played there.... But I had been going there it seems forever. Al(Doorman) was a close friend

I saw Geoff a couple of years ago. Mike Sheridan had a monthly do at The Old Sils Knowle, with lots of the old Brummie muso's, including Geoff. Good nights. Geoff was trying out some numbers on his own, prior to going out again on his own as Jefferson. And he did a wonderful version of 'Young Girl'.
Big Al, from the door of the Rum, always picked me up and gave me a big hug!
Ann

Rum_Runner_Broad_Street.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Last time I saw Al was here in Long Beach CA. He was with Black Sabbath some kind of management position
We must have talked back then as I was there quite a bit from 1967 onwards thru 1972ish I think... So long ago.
I was asked recently as I played in Obs-Tweedle with Robert Plant right before he went with Zep about some of the history of the band but I hadn't got a clue.
They say those who remember the sixties were never there:D

Welcome Bill. I loved the Rum Runner and the bands. I still find it amazing we had people Like Ozzy Ozborne, Jeff Lynn, Roy Wood, Carl Wayne etc just sitting or jamming in the club it was a great atmosphere. My memorie is not great but I am sure I remember Al a tall dark haired guy. I aslo remember another shorter guy who was supposedly a bodyguard for Archbishop Macarios>spelling<.:)

It is helping me reading all of this as I have been a wreck for the last few months as my wife of the last 20 years died (Brain Tumor) and it has been very hard for me.
This site has brought out a lot of memories of happier times and I thank you all for welcoming me
If you want a laugh check out some of my photos on my personal site
www.billbonham.com

Bill, I am so sorry to hear about your wife it must be a terrible time for you. We will keep you remanising.........there's nothing like Brummy hospitality!:)

Hi,anybody remember this place,opened in August,1960

'Rhoda Rogers Revuebar'...........................Mal.

I thought Al went with Black Sabbath, but I lost touch. Mickey Walker (ex Redcaps) was also on the door. Last time I saw him. I had just got into drama school, and he said he wanted to do the same. And, I gather, he has worked well as a comedian. I went to the Rum from about '65 to '71. One of my best friends was the aunt of Michael and Paul Berrow, who managed 'Duran Duran', and I worked with Paul, behind the bar. Were you there the night that 'The Everly's' played the Rum. Magic! Nice to meet someone that was there in those days!
I would love to hear your memories, however faded!

Ann

Hi Mal

I remember Rhoda Rogers Revuebar on Soho Road in Handsworth. Are you sure that was the date it opened? I used to walk past there regularly and thought it was there in about 1956 - but I might be wrong.

Judy

I remember Mickey and family very well they were good friends.
No I wasn't there that night but I sure was there a lot.
I remember the youngbloods with cozy powell always playing there

Bill, as I was posting, you revealed about losing your wife. I'm not surprised you are a wreck. I am sorry for your loss, very sorry. All the very best to you Ann,

Today my husband had the all clear.

Now you've got me going I dated Roy Black from Young Blood and remember his band mate Ken running a pub in Tamworth. I remember Mickey Walker he was a scream on stage. If I remember he had a Morgan sports car. Do you remember Mick Owen he later became a tour manager for Bob Geldolf I believe.:)

Ann I am thrilled to hear your hubby's good news........and I know how that feels!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Mal

I remember Rhoda Rogers Revuebar on Soho Road in Handsworth. Are you sure that was the date it opened? I used to walk past there regularly and thought it was there in about 1956 - but I might be wrong.

Judy

Hi Judy,the info. I've got says it opened in 1960.The car shown,a Vauxhall Victor Estate,wasn't produced in 1956,and the advertisment board says the club is opening shortly,so it would appear you are a least a little out in your recollection,but you're doing better than me,I don't remember it at all !...........Mal

Now you've got me going I dated Roy Black from Young Blood and remember his band mate Ken running a pub in Tamworth. I remember Mickey Walker he was a scream on stage. If I remember he had a Morgan sports car. Do you remember Mick Owen he later became a tour manager for Bob Geldolf I believe.:)

Ann I am thrilled to hear your hubby's good news........and I know how that feels!!
Remember them all

I am still in touch with Roger Spenser Idle race and Sight and sound, Terry Reid
Nigel Wright the Cheetahs and a few others.

Back