• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Birmingham Nightclubs of the Past - Memories

i went to the ringway club in bromsgrove street.it was above the auction house.full of tranvestites.and other dodgy characters.someone came out one night to find their car on bricks.only went there once.

i went to the ringway club in bromsgrove street.it was above the auction house.full of tranvestites.and other dodgy characters.someone came out one night to find their car on bricks.only went there once.

I was a regular at the Ringway Club in the 60's, although I never saw any tranvestites. There were plenty of regulars that batted for the other side and also unsavoury and dodgy characters by the dozen.

In fact a typical Birmingham cheaper end night club of the sixties. I have to admit I liked the atmosphere in there. And as long as you kept on the good side of the bouncers you were fine.

Phil

Any body remember the "Le Metro" disco club under the station arches I installed the sound system in the early days. A guy call Romney was part owner then, His brother Terry worked with me at the GEC.

Here goes

Ritzy
Pagoda park
Dome
Snobs
Metropolis
Orelans
Le Pub
Liberty's
Bobby Browns

oh, and a cudly toy

I remember going to a club called the Castaways, I think it was in Bradford Street, or somewhere in Digbeth and spent many happy evenings in King's in Hamstead, chicken and chips in a basket, live entertainment for just a few quid.

The kings is on hamstead Road, now a petrol station. Chicken in a basket - isnt that called Hen & Chickens - or was???

Ahhh Pagoda Park - If anyone has got my meal - can I have it back please

Ritzy, Pagoda Park, Dome, Metropolis, Snobs, Red Lion, Horse Trader, Newt and Cucumber, The WInchester, Le Pub, Edwards No 7, Liberty's, Old Orleans and when we had a new starter at work we would always send them to the Jester - saying we woulod meet em there, but never would....

Ritzy, Pagoda Park, Dome, Metropolis, Snobs, Red Lion, Horse Trader, Newt and Cucumber, The WInchester, Le Pub, Edwards No 7, Liberty's, Old Orleans and when we had a new starter at work we would always send them to the Jester - saying we woulod meet em there, but never would....

Wonder why :D:sick:

Ritzy, Pagoda Park, Dome, Metropolis, Snobs, Red Lion, Horse Trader, Newt and Cucumber, The WInchester, Le Pub, Edwards No 7, Liberty's, Old Orleans

I have happy memories of the Rum Runner:)
I use to moan about 50p a pint though:(

[ame="https://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=HKz0fHyuNDg"]YouTube - Duran Duran - Planet Eart [Rum Runner Club Version][/ame]

Great video Frothblower. When I worked behind the bar at the Rum Runner on Friday and Saturday nights, we only served half pints and I think we charged 50p for the half! Bev Bevan's girlfriend worked the bar as well. Great times.

Excuse me, I'm new to this. I should have said the attached photo was a fancy dress ball at the Rum Runner approx. 1967/8. What a wonderful site, I have gained so much info. from here and useful links. Ann

Great photo Ann. I remember the barrel booths just visable in your photo's. My friend Rosalind worked there around the same time as you.

Thanks Wendy. I thought I would put it on because you can see the barrels (and that's what most people recall when mentioning the Rum Runner) And I don't think there are many photos around of the club. Gina was head of the bar when I was there, a stunning girl, who sadly died in a car accident in the early 70's. There was also Barbra, Sue, Jennie and Julie and many others whose names I can't recall, but can recall their faces. I may have been there the same time as your friend. Ask if she remembers the night The Everly's played there, if she does, we were there the same time. I bet you had some great times there too. Best wishes Ann

I am like you Ann remember faces but not names. I remember the club was very popular with people like the Move I met Bev Bevan, Carl Wayne, Jeff Lynn, Roy Wood, Ozzy Osbourne,Toni Iomi and so many other great artists who would just get on stage and play. I have not seen my friend Rosalind since the early 80's, she lived in Romsleynr Worcester then. I have tried all the avenues on the web with no luck.

Yes Wendy I wish I was better with names. I remember Bev and all the others coming into the club. Sight and Sound, the Ugly's and many more. Mick Walker from the Redcaps was on the door, and he was also a great comic and compere. Like you, I remember them getting up and jamming. They would go to the Rum or the Cedar after their own gigs. Remember seeing Tommy Cooper sitting in the restaurant, he seemed to tower over everyone. Your friend Rosalind...I'm sure a girl with shoulder length blonde hair was a Ros. I'll have to oil the memory bank.....Ann

Last edited by a moderator:
I had forgotten about Mick Walker he was brilliant. He had a lovely Morgan sports car and as you say was a great comic and performer. I remember seeing Pat Roach there I couldn't believe how big he was. Yes Roz did have shoulder length blond hair we were both hairdressers and worked together in Sutton. I have posted a photo of us at Silver Blades when we were a bit younger her hair was shorter then. Its not very clear as she is behind the guy with long hair.

https://forum.birminghamhistory.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5021&highlight=Silver+Blades&page=6

Last edited by a moderator:
Glad my mention of Mick Walker jogged your memory Wendy, and that you recall how talented he was. I remember serving Pat Roach, a very unassuming modest man. Definately a gentle giant. I looked at the picture at the Silver Blades....lovely photo, but I don't recognise Roz from that. Could be the hair? Sad that you lost touch with her. Re the photo at the Rum Runner, I put on, I'm on the right, the one saing 'aloha', and my very best friend, Pam, is the spanish senorita. Pam emigrated to Australia and we kept in touch for a long while, but lost touch when we both moved. Hope she will turn up on friends reunited. Ann

I have just heard the awful news that Sean Mahoney has sadly passed away on the 27th May. No details off his funeral where printed in the Mail on Thurs night. If anybody should know these details can you please contact me or post to this site, so I can let the Whisky a go go crowed know. We where aware that he had been suffering from cancer at the time of our reunion last year March 2007, he so wanted to be there but was to ill to attend. he was certainly the Dude of the Townies in the 60's, with style, great mod look's, fantastic dancer, a real great Brummie icon, and adored by the girls, admired by the guys. God Bless Him.

Bob that is sad news about Sean R I P he was always in my mind as KING OF THE MODS

Modmossy

Bob, I am so sorry to hear about our Sean. I was only talking to Eamon Keeley yesterday and we were saying how great it would be to see him again at the reunion, he was the best especially if you were one of his girls,not even his girl friend but one of the crowd. He would never let anyone mess us around, he'd say"come to me babs and we'll sort it"
He was a true gent to us and I am so so sad.
GOD BLESS YOU SEANxxxxxxxxxxx

As promised just to let you all know that Sean Mahoney funeral service will be on Thursday 5th June, 10am at Corpus Christi, Stechford.

The address of Corpus Christi RC Church is 139 Albert Rd
Stechford, Birmingham, West Midlands, B33 8UB
Service starts at 10am 5th June and then after (thanks for info Poke) The Emerald Club 214 Green Lane , Small heath, B9 5DH

Sweet memories. I use to go to the Whiskey Ago Go, one of the first, what we called Disco's all those years ago. West End of course, then the Larcarno. Made it to the Rum Rummer, Elbow Room. Does anyone remember the Atlas which use to be in Stetchford.

We also had a club on the Chester Road in Castle Bromwich, which is no covered by Halfords and Aldi, can't remember that one.

Spent good nights at the Night Out.

Mini skirts, or for posher Clubs longer dresses, long bopped hair, false eyelashes like Dusty, Bacardi and Coke or even Babycham! Such happy happy days.

Probaly danced with a few of you guys out there!!lol

The Whiskey-a-Go-Go was over Chetwyns - can anyone tell me what was there before the club was there. I think there was a Dance Studios there. Was it Laura Dixons, or Madame Amies or what? Just for curiosity I would be interested to know.

Back