• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birmingham Nightclubs of the Past - Memories

Firebird?

Do you know, I'm blowed if I can remember the name. It may have been The Firebird, seems to ring a bell - an apt name anyway for that firetrap of a cellar!
We used to end up at The Stagedoor coffee bar, down the passage near Carrs Lane. Then stagger home to Handsworth, via the 16 bus (if it was running) or on foot through Hockley and down Hamstead Road to Putney Road.

Last edited:
My mistake - The Firebird was in Carrs Lane - I have just found a card for it. I wonder if the Firebird became the Stagedoor as it was in the same area. There were lots of coffee bars and clubs in firetrap cellars which would never be allowed today would they?

Last edited:
you have led a very sheltered life havent you charlie,i think you are the re incarnation of attilla the hun,wouldnt want to pick a fight with you

You are so right Dol., I have led a very sheltered life.
The No. 16 bus shelter; No.11; No.9 etc etc.
Attilla the Hun? A wimp!!!

Somebody always comes up trumps when I post these little queries so I hope that holds true today.

Can anyone please tell me if the Locarno was still open in 1971? There's no rush I just need the information within the next hour. ;)

Thanks in anticipation,
O :redface:

Locarno 1971

Im ceratin it was because I 'm sure I went there as late as 1976.

Does anyone remember the Metro...under the Railway Arches?;)

I went there too - if memory serves - in the late 1970's early 1980's, used to hang out in the Bali Hai - the ballroom at the rear of the club. I remember it became the Powerhouse but not exactly sure when.

Astonian and Loisand I remember well The Palais De Dance - The Palace and the Masonic ballrooms Erdinngton also the New Crown and Cusion Perry Barr -

Now trip the light fantastic at Toronto's well known 'Old Mill'

Think those who never learned to dance are missing out on a lot of fun!

Ian I remember the Bali Hai when I went it was a seperate club at the back of the Lacarno and you had another membership card. Plastic palm trees and plants..............great!

Good reading it brings back happy memories was a Mod in the 60s and went to all the usual places where the Mods frequented.

Nobody has mentioned Laura Dixons above Chetwins mens outfitters the corner of Navigation St when i used it was The Whisky A GO GO
Spencer Davis was more or less a resident group there,i saw some great groups at that place Georgie Fame,Yardbirds when Eric Clapton played with them The Yarbirds played one easter in the 60s and all my mates whent Manchester to a club called Tiles on their scooters my scooter was out of action,the night the Yardbirds played there was about 30 people in the club it was great being able to have a chat with one of my favourite groups especially Clapo by the way he's a Baggies fan

On a nother ocassion i was going to the Whisky to see the late great harmonica player Sonny Boy Williamson
I was waiting by the bus stops in Navigation to meet a girl ''dolly in them days'' of the 45 bus from Kings Norton she never got of the bus that she was supposed to,the buses were every half hour so i decieded to go for a pint in the Navigation Pub when i got in i could not believe my eyes there was Sonny Boy drinking whisky,he wanted to buy a full bottle the barman said he could'nt he turned to me and i tried to tell him the reason why he could'nt what a great feeling talking to one of my favourite harmonica players

Happy Days Mossy The Mod

Mossy, You must have gone to the Whisky the same time as me, If I can recall it was a Wednesday? I used to knock around with Shaun Mahoney,
Roger, Sticky,(Johnny Glue) Simo ect did you know any of them. We were all mods and went to Margate. We used to go down to the Pink Elephant in London and the Flamingo to see my all time favorite Gorgie Fame.

Small world, Patty, I used to work with Shaun making exhaust systems at a foctory in Hay Mills. I think you will find that his name is Shaun O'mahony, a dead ringer for Mick Jagger.;)

Patty, just been talking to an old mate and he told me that it wasn't Shaun who used to knock around with us, it was his younger brother Paul. ( senior moment)

Last edited:
I see nobody has mentioned The Boundry Club, Acocks Green, The Garry Owen Club, Small Heath, The Press Club, Watt Street ?, the Pink Elephant/Ringway Club Brosgrove Street.

Or was it just me that frequented these low drinking dives. Whilst on the subject of Bromsgrove Street. Can anybody remind me o9f the name of the Cafe Bar on the corner of there and Hurst Street in the 60's.

Cheers,

pmc1947

We have mentioned the Gary Owen club but we called it by its other name which was the Brum Cavern.
Was the Cafe called the Kismet.

No it was something like mexicali. I just can't bring it to mind and I used to use it quite often round about 66-67. and are we talking about the Garry Owen in Wordsworth Road that has been closed for the last couple of years,

Cheers,

pmc1947

Yeah, thats the one mate it looked a bit like a aeroplane hanger, but smaller.;)

GARRY OWEN :bad: I Didnt like that place....2 Many Gangsters use to meet up in there , when I lived near there , There were shootings taking place and that was early as 1971..... I kept away forever :whistle:
Ragga :)

i went to the Garry Owen a couple of times but it was always with a publican I think a lot of them went there after they had finished work.

Back