• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Birmingham FC

keegs. What a great pic #52 is. My mates and I virtually lived there. Many, many happy hours spent in there. Lovely to see again. Oh, by the way keegs, the attached photos youve posted lately I seem to be having trouble with. When I click on them, I get a message saying Invalid Attachment, & to Notify an administrator. Dont know if its just me or not.
I have had another go at re-posting.Don't know if it is better or not ? I Do it the same way everytime,sometimes it works others not.It beats me lol.

Have had another look at the attachments keegs, but still no good my end. Not to worry though, there are still lots of your other pics I can see, and that makes up for it.

''Well done keegs''.

Absolutely great memories.
Great shots.
What ever you have, keep posting, this site needs them.
redken

HI
Ref post 63. John berry is not in the picture.He signed for MAN-U IN AUG 1951.
He was brought to BLUES by my uncle FRED HARRIS when they got demobed after the war.Transfered for £25000.
KEN

hi keegs i have passed on the pic on post 27 to gary pendry to see if he knows who the mystery player is...will get back to you asap..

lyn

HI
Ref post 63. John berry is not in the picture.He signed for MAN-U IN AUG 1951.
He was brought to BLUES by my uncle FRED HARRIS when they got demobed after the war.Transfered for £25000.
KEN
Yep,you are quite right.All a bit before my time.That face seems so familiar though,could it be Gordon Astle ?

IMGP3277.jpg
Squad photo 1966/67 season,I think.
Taken at Damson Lane training ground,the tops of the old buildings are just visible.It was a lovely tranquil place.

hi keegs what a great collection of photos...hope its ok if i forward the pic on post 27 to one of our members who does not log on very often...his grandaughter is married to gary pendrys son so maybe he could show it to gary who could confirm if it is himself in the photo...

keep em coming...these pics are brill for all blues noses...oh and well done on beating reading yesterday...hope to see the team at wembley...

lyn
Hi Lyn,there is also a young Gary Pendry in the pic number 75 ,back row 3rd from the left.

Does anyone have any information on Birmingham City players around 1935/1936, I believe a Jack Sykes played for them some time around then.
Can anyone confirm this?
John(Jack) Sykes Born Wombwell,Yorkshire.
Career-Wombwell FC / Blues Aug 1932 / Millwall May 1937 to Sept 1939.
Did not figure in any competative league football after WW2.
A defensive Full Back who spent three years in blues reserves before making his league debut.His strong running and clever covering made him an immediate success.His loss of form in late 1936 led to him being dropped.Seldom selected again he left at the end of the season.
He later became licensee at the Park Tavern on Dudley Road,near the hospital.
All I can find on Jack,Hope this helps.
Regards Keegs.

Remember the blues mascot...Bo...brummy...had checks like a blood hound!!!!
Oh yes,I have some pics somewhere,I'll have a look.I think he was designed by the same guy who came up with the "World Cup Willie" England mascot.So I'm pretty sure Blues adoped "Beau Brummie" in 1966,or thereabouts.

IMGP3279.jpg IMGP3280.jpg
Had a sort through a few old programmes and there he was.Do you remember the song that went with him by the Roy Green Trio.Roy is in one of the Loccarno pics I posted(post 29).I always thouht he looked like Beau Brummie !

Do you remember the song by Harvey Andrews that they used to play on Matchdays "Good old Brummagem".Another that haunts me from the time I was there was "Lazy,Crazy,Hazy days of Summer" by Nat King Cole.They would use it to test the sound system,usually when it was snowing or Weeing it down ! Someone had warped a sense of humour.

Great to see Beau Brummie again...you know..in a funny sort of way...his return would seem very appropriate.
I have to admit...I can't remember the song of the Roy Green trio.
Many thanks for posting it keegs.

Thanks Keegs for the information regarding Jack Sykes, He was my dad, but I haven't much information about his playing career so I am really grateful for your input.

Thanks Keegs for the information regarding Jack Sykes, He was my dad, but I haven't much information about his playing career so I am really grateful for your input.
No probs,glad to help.If I find anything else I'll pass it on.

Do you remember the song by Harvey Andrews that they used to play on Matchdays "Good old Brummagem".Another that haunts me from the time I was there was "Lazy,Crazy,Hazy days of Summer" by Nat King Cole.They would use it to test the sound system,usually when it was snowing or Weeing it down ! Someone had warped a sense of humour.
IMGP3288.JPG
Harvey Andrews.

Back