• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birmingham Family-related Mementos

ChrisM

Super Moderator
Staff member
The periodic rummage through a box of junk out of the loft sometimes reveals something which one hadn't forgotten about but hadn't looked at in years. A family memento, old but possibly with a clear connection to the present - and definitely with a Birmingham connection.

Has anyone got something like that, tucked away but never entirely forgotten and still precious? Let's hear about it!

Chris

Here's one of mine, for starters.

A little oval, black-painted tin with a bit of gold decoration.

TinClosedcid_24ADFC60-C656-.jpg

And inside it, a crumbling flower slowly turning to dust.

TinOpen6FB7-C4CD-4D2B-9B03-.jpg

And also inside, a slip of paper, in my mother's handwriting from a century ago.

!cid_67E88930-7773-4B08-BC8.jpg

My parents were married in the Parish Church, Harborne on 31st January 1921. They were both 22 and went to live in rooms at 16 Yew Tree Road, Edgbaston. (One of them had previously been at 41 or 43 Wood Lane, Harborne). Dad had returned from France as a wounded soldier to "A Land Fit for Heroes". He had hoped to become an accountant but gave up on his training because - so he told me - "We had to EAT!" So he was working at a Selly Oak copper and brass factory, Elliots. Mum was working as well - she was a typist at the Law Courts in Corporation Street - but had to give that up when my elder brother came along the following year. When, I imagine, things got a bit tough, financially.

No photographs of the day. The carnation is about the only survivor. Oh, yes, and me as well of course. And Mum and Dad's six grandsons, and their eleven great grandchildren, and .......and.....

Chris

What a super story associated with that object. There is more to objects than meet the eye.

I have a couple of things of my Dad's. A Bible given to him when serving in the Army in India, dated 1909. Also have his snuff box made out of a shell with silver base. Always carried it in the pocket of his waistcoat. Also havea very long letter he wrote to Mom whilst serving in France in first world War

I have a copy (my Uncle has the original) of the letter sent to my Grandad's next of kin when he was injured in WW1.
1668690916784.png

Then earlier this year on clearing my late Dad's flat I came across this cigarette case.
The CJC mongram identified it as belonging to my Grandad - Charles Joseph Campbell. When I looked at the engraving 1st March 1918 I realised the significance of the date - his 21st birthday. I assume it was most likely a present from his siblings. I think at this point he would still have been in hospital but back in the UK.
The hallmarks belong to Joseph Gloster based at the Lion Silverworks, Hockley Hill. The assay mark is the Birmingham anchor and the year letter is 1917.
My Uncle now has the case and it will go to one of his to sons.

Attachments

• case.JPG
    case.JPG
    238.9 KB · Views: 11
  • Hallmarks.JPG
    Hallmarks.JPG
    242.9 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Like me, Janice, you probably owe your existence to a wound which got your Grandad out of the trenches and out of the dangers he might not otherwise have survived. My own sons could say the same thing about both of their grandfathers. Injuries which were serious enough at the time but which happily did not really affect their subsequent lives. I hope your Grandad was the same and it's so good that mementos of those times and of him are being handed down via family members.

Chris

This medal is inscribed with my grand-dad's name and 1943. He lived with us during WW2 and as far as I know he was a 'fire-watcher' (in Birmingham), having previously served in WW1. Can anyone tell me anything about this medal please?
Grand-dad's Medal.JPG

Like me, Janice, you probably owe your existence to a wound which got your Grandad out of the trenches and out of the dangers he might not otherwise have survived. My own sons could say the same thing about both of their grandfathers. Injuries which were serious enough at the time but which happily did not really affect their subsequent lives. I hope your Grandad was the same and it's so good that mementos of those times and of him is being handed down via family members.

Chris
Couldn't agree more Chris as both his 2 sons were born much later. Considering doctors in France wanted to amputate his leg (he refused) he did well to just be left with a limp. His one foot drooped and he had a metal plate in the bad leg - to my shame I am not now sure which leg.

Back