• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birmingham College Of Food And Domestic Arts

hi raymond you must have been in the same group as andrew heathcote a very good student and came back to the college as a tutor after working at the grosvenor house park lane london with a friend of mine. john thursfield at college from 1967 to 1969 with bill cahill as first year tutor.
Hi Raymond ,did you know Linda Summerfield in that same year,but I do not know which tutr course she was on , Linda lived in Sutton Coldfield at the time ,we dated from 1965 to 1967 ,went our seperate ways and out of nostalgia would like to know how she got on in life ,thanks Roman

hi robin do you remember keith reynolds in your group at all we went to primary and secondary school together. lost touch after college. i was in 209 under bill cahill do you remember any colleagues of mine stephen mann, david baker, peter dickinson, allan davies, bob hoare etc .
Hi Robin ,did you know a Linda Summerfield from 1965 to 1967 ,we dated each other in that time ,went our seperate ways and out of nostalgia would like to know how she got in life ,cheers Roman

hi raymond you must have been in the same group as andrew heathcote a very good student and came back to the college as a tutor after working at the grosvenor house park lane london with a friend of mine. john thursfield at college from 1967 to 1969 with bill cahill as first year tutor.
Hi Raymond ,did you by any chance know Linda Summerfield , I think she was on a catering course from 1964 TILL 1967 , but I do not her tutor group . We dated from 1965 TILL 1967 Thanks Roman

I did a two year full time craft course from 1966-68. We did our first year at Brasshouse Passage using Aston University for restaurant service & the two kitchens for serving students and restaurant guests. I was terrified of Misseur Tissier & Mr Bell who ran the restaurant side. Jim Cowie & Bob Cooper taught pastry. Misseur Sidell ran the restaurant kitchen. We then moved for our second year to the new college so a lot of time was saved as we had to walk down Broad street to the Uni or reverse even up to 5 ways to have our French lessons. Clive Tudeman was my tutor. At 18 years old you passed or failed the C&G 151 on one mornings practical work ( think I just scraped through). Lots more memories & names if you are interested.
Hi Raymond ,did you know a young lady named Linda Summerfield but I do not know which tutor group she was in and I do think that Linda was on a three year catering course from 1964 1967 ; if you did know please get back ,cheers Roman

I was at the College of Food & Domestic Arts in Summer Row from 1970 to 1972 studying for an OND in Hotel Catering & Management. Remember the paternoster well. Never had any accidents, and even went all the way round. Loved it. Remember decimalisation coming in 1971 - that was fun. And drinking in the local pubs such as the Mulberry Bush and Tavern in the Town… which of course were then bombed in 1974. Lived in Erdington at that time and remember spaghetti junction being built! Fun and carefree days. Garry

• Appreciate
Reactions: cba
I remember the day when we went decimal. Monday 15th February 1971, My mom could not figure it out bless her

I was at the college from 1971 to 1974, doing the OND and then the HCIMA courses. First worked at the Albany in Smallbrook Ringway, then Guidex in Bradford Street, and finally at the Gas Board in Solihull, each job worse than the one before and shorter - the last one lasted three days. I hated catering with a vengeance and my whole career lasted 7 months! Couldn't wait to get back to secretarial work, then drifted into accountancy and that has lasted 48 years so far. I remember Monsieur Tissier and Mr Rose who taught pastry. He made my wedding cake and a friend of his made a little silver vase, which I still have, for the top. I suppose it wasn't entirely a waste of time since I can still cook almost anything and still do, every day.

I was at College of food in 1972 for two years 147 & 151 and then back for three years part time doing advanced sauce, larder & pastry. Went on to be Sous chef at the Plough & Harrow Hagley Road, Executive chef at the Waldorf London, Ex Chef at the Park Lane hotel London, Lygon Arms, Broadway. All came about from superb coaching from our college, people like Pat Sharpe, Roger Taylor, Bill Downing. Great times, great memories.

I was at Birmingham College of Food and Domestic Arts from 1966-67 Hotel Book-keeper Receptionist Course, based at Brassnose Passage for the first half and Summer Row the second half. Our 'form tutor' was a wonderful Mr Smith who was very patient and kind. We had to 'wait on' at Aston University restaurant once a fortnight under the supervision of Monsieur Tissier (Hercule Poirot in disguise) - never found out what that had to do with Book-keeping but I now know how to present, fillet and dehead a trout at table. We had to walk up and down Broad Street in all weather from one building to the next in all weathers but it was such fun. I remember Linda Littlejohn, Suzanne Bunting, Pat ? and many more. It only seems like yesterday, x

We had a number in the Birmingham area in no particular order Perry Barr Technical College, Birmingham University, Aston University, College of Food, and the Dental Hospital, they were horrible things to work on, but on the other hand they did move the Stupids (Students) in large numbers from one floor too the next, the Stupids would as this car got to the top floor do hand stand just to confuse the other stupids, all the cab of which there were about 20 or thirty depending on the height of the build went around in a loop in the motor room was two very large wheels, the one reason they broke down was things like lorry/van driver trying to make delivers in them on one occasion one such Numpty tried get his/her sack truck on to the moving cab (lift) and manage to break about three or for of the cabins (lift) the grease they used on the gear was so thick and black that if you got it on you clothes you would have to throw them away as there was no chance of ever getting them clean, which reminds me of working in the Black hole at Goodyear in Wolverhampton and that was a horrible place , and the rubber bugs but that is another story, As a student navigating the academic landscape, I stumbled upon a remarkable service that revolutionized my approach to written assignments. With their expert Writing Metier guidance and support, tackling complex papers became a breeze. From enhancing my research skills to refining my writing style, this service has been an invaluable asset on my educational journey.
Sounds harsh, but I can attest to that too.

Back