• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birmingham Co-op Green Grocery Sherlock Street

J

jim charman

remember mr scott, mr lucket, mr elliott, ginger. the warehouse man. I was manager mobile van no 1

I certainly do remember the Brmingham Co-operative Society Green Grocery Dept. My father, William Harvey worked there for a good many years. The department was located in Sherlock Street. I also worked at the Birmingham Co-operative but in their Transport department in GT Brook Street in Aston - started in the workshops in 1959. Dad started working at the Co-op back in the late 20's and moved to the Fish Fruit and Greengrocery department sometime later. He retired from the Co-op - the FF&GG as it was commonly known back in the mid 60's after completing about 40 years service. I recall some drivers names - Billy Sedgwick, Burt Bowler and Terry Carol. I'm sure there are others but their names have faded from my memory. I remember Len Lucett and Alf Elliott or AE as he was affectionately referred to by anyone who worked there. I also recall going to the Christmas Eve party or get together which was held in Cave's Warehouse which was part of the FF&GG building. I have some early photo's of Dad in his FF&GG days which I could upload which may serve to prompt your memory - let me know.

Last edited:
Mayne-knott, we always love photos, just to see how things have changed over the years and you never know, other forum members may recognise people.
My Uncle Albert worked for the Co-op green-grocers, he was manager of the shop on the Coventry Road and lived above the co-op at Sheldon, in the flats owned by the co-op.
Sue

Mayne Knott, does the name Ralph Rumble ring a bell ? he drove one of the mobile green grocer vans in the 60s.

Robert, I can't say that the name springs to mind straight away, although I'm sure Dad would have known him. I was looking through some old copies of "Your Voice" which was a magazine featuring all Birmingham Co-operative Society news. I retained these because they featured Dad's safe driving award and his retirement back in 1967. There;s a photo of Alf Elliot presenting Dad with his retirement gift. The magazine was dated Jan 1967 was Ralph Rumble there then? I remember a few other names - Syd Judd, Frank Whale, Percy Overs - do any of these names ring a bell? Dad carried on working there part time after he retired upto about 1970 ish - I think that ws about the time there was a merger with Ten Acres and Stirchley Co-op although it may have been later. Are you related to Ralph Rumble in any way?

I had the best part-time job around when I was about 13 - errand boy at Branch 66 FF&G on the corner of Balsall Heath Road and Upper Cox Street. By the time I was 15 I was virtually running the place because the manager was virtually useless - and I was still at school! He got the sack and was not replaced. My pay was up in the clouds. When it came to my leaving school, the sort of area manager begged me to stay with very tempting offers of instant shop manager position and a sparking career beyond. I often wonder how far I would have gone; instead I opted for a government job with a pension.
Great times but freezing cold in the winter.
Ted

Does anyone remember Joe Hancock. I know he worked out of Sherlock Street in the 30`s as a greengrocery rounds man and it is mentioned on his death certificate in 1937. Anyone remember or know of him??????

Les, Your going a long way back in time here. My Dadmay well have known him. Dad started at the co-op back in the early 20's and retired back in 1967 ish. He worked all his life as a driver in the FF&GG dept. Sad to say I can't ask Dad about Joe Hancock - Dad's no longer with us. However, I do have an pold photo taken back in 1928 showing Dad and a few other co-op staff. The pictur was taken in Cannon Hill Park, Qeens Drive at that years Commercial Vehicle Motor Show or Rally (not sure which) it was taken in June of that year. Does this fit in with the time frame your looking at? If so it may be possible to scan this photo and upload it to this forum. You may be able to recognise the person your looking for. Let me know. I note that your surname's are the same - are you closely related to Joe? Remember also that in the early days goods were delivered by horse and cart! In fact horse drawn delivery vehicles were used by the co-op upto the very early 60's - I know I worked on some of them! Regards mayne-knott

Mayne knot, I'm not related to Ralph Rumble, i was a friend of his dauhter Christine who sadley is no longer with us.

Mayne Knott, Thanks for your response. I would be really grateful if you could post that photo to see if he is on there. Grandad died in 1937, 25 years before I was born and my dad never mentioned him at all, Come to think of it I cant remember him ever refering to his dad but He was only 12 when he died. When my aunt passed in 2004 she left 2 photos, both of men and I am sure one of them is my grandad and another a great uncle but I dont know which one is which, That photo you got might just help fingers crossed!!!

OK Les - I'll see what I can do. I'm away on holiday for the next few days, however, if I can upload it before I go I'll do so. If not, it's on the to do list as of now!! If I'm having problems uploading the picture I'll get in touch with you by email via this site - assuming your ok with that? Regards mayne-knott

View attachment 77163
Les, This is the photo referred to in my earler message. The photo was taken in 1928 at the Commercial Motor Vehicle Show in Queens Drive, Cannon Hill Park. The picture was taken in June of that year. If you save the image onto your computer, you should be able to enlarge the image quite well. I've tried this and it seems to work ok. Picture quality isn't fantastic but you can make out enough of peoples features which should help you. Remember that this picture was taken 84 years ago!!! and has really weathered quite well. For your information, my father, William Harvey is standing on the left hand side of the group - please note the "albert chain for the watch" really quite in fashion for the day so I understand. On an historical note, the Co-op used to deliver Greengrocery by horse and cart. I recall Dad telling me he had a go at this but it wasn't very successful. I recall him telling me that the cart wheels got stuck in the tram lines in Digbeth / Derritend - the horse as well as Dad was none to happy about this - from then on he drove motor vehicles! It may be that your grandad drove a horse and cart for the deliveries in which case he may not be in the picture - Hope this picture helps.
Regards mayne-knot

Attachments

• Taken in Cannon Hill Park in June 1928.jpg
    Taken in Cannon Hill Park in June 1928.jpg
    339 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
mayne knott, on the old street pics thread reply 360 there is a photo of a old co-op fruit & veg van with two members of staff.

Back