• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Birmingham Civilians Killed-Bombings WW2 List Available

attachment.php

Reg thanks for posting these as some families may not be aware they are at Witton it is so very sad. The Harris one especially so!

Help needed. I have been trying to get in touch with BARRA as I believe three relatives (distant) were all killed from a direct hit by a German Bomb on the night of 20th November 1940. Details are: Charles Myers Bramham, his wife Elenor Rosa and dau Joan Mary, their address was 99 Grant Street, Birmingham. I understand the BARRA database is now under the control of a Neil Limbrick. I have been trying to contact him via the "Contact Me" on the website but my email goes nowhere.
Any assist you can offer gratefully received. Regards OldBrummie - Port Macquarie, NSW, Aus.

hello oldbrummie...just checked the BARRA database site for you and charles was killed by enemy action on 19.11.40 at 1 fern bank grant st age 60 also eleanor aged 50 and joan aged 20

their names are on the tree of life memorial in the bull ring and their names are also listed along with all the brummie civilians who died in the book..BIRMINGHAM BLITZ OUR STORIES...a book worth having..

grant st has all been re developed

hope this helps

lyn

Last edited:
Think maybe that OldBrummie's request was also about how to contact the current administrator of the BARRA database.

Chris

this is all i could find ...according to the web page neil limbrick was the web page designer but obviously the site has not been updated as list of contacts still shows barbara johnson as chair but she sadly passed away a few months ago

Contact Us
Members meet every third Thursday of the month at the Copthorne Hotel, Paradise Circus, Birmingham (B3 3HJ) from 12.00 p.m. till 3.00 p.m.
Current Committee Members are as follows:
CHAIR - Mrs Barbara Johnson Tel: +44 (0)121 749 2009
VICE CHAIRMAN - Les Hill Tel: +44 (0)121 373 3503
WELFARE OFFICER - Joe Beddowes
TREASURER - Mrs Dorothy Parker Tel: +44 (0)121 604 4022
SECRETARY - Alison Grove Humphries Tel: +44 (0)121 777 5472 Mobile 07842 673 659
ARCHIVIST MR Brian Wright

I would say the best bet is to text the mobile number given for the secretary or send a letter to them c/o Copthorne Hotel - check first if they still meet there.

I would say the best bet is to text the mobile number given for the secretary or send a letter to them c/o Copthorne Hotel - check first if they still meet there.

Folks, what can I say but Thank You. Confirmation that the Bramhams were listed is basically what I needed.
If I ever get back to Brum I will certainly visit the Tree Of Life Memorial.

Thanks again. OldBrummie

happy to help...i dont go into the city centre a lot these days but unless other members beat me to it next time i am there i will take photos of your rellies names on the tree of life for you..i have also got 2 names on it

lyn

Glad you have found what you need, OldBrummie.

The Christian names of C. M. Bramham intrigue me. If your interest in this family is the result of family history research, do you have details of Charles's forebears, say up to three generations back?

Chris

Is Margaret McGinn age 22 on the Memorial? I would love to know.
Looking back through this thread I wondered whether this young woman was added to the list. (Post 22). Post 24 says she was not. I know many people from Ireland (N&S) had settled in the city but there were many workers - a great number of them women - who came to work in the city's factories during WW2. A family of a friend of mine took in one young lady called Bridie (Brydie). Turban and trousers was a strange sight to me, but I guess there was a war on. :D

Folks, what can I say but Thank You. Confirmation that the Bramhams were listed is basically what I needed.

Thanks again. OldBrummie

Thanks again. OldBrummie

I popped into town today and took these.
names 1.jpgimage.jpg

ladylinda I appreciate that very much.
I'm impressed with the 'Memorial'.
I tried 'expanding' the names and although I was able to pick out the Bramhams, they were somewhat blurred.
None the less we have the evidence and I am truly grateful.
OldBrummie.

old brummie if you are going to save the image save the one lynn posted on post 47 as it will look better on your computer...

that was quick lynn many thanks for coming to the rescue:):) is there any chance you could also repost the tree of life memorial also in the large image please

lyn

Glad you have found what you need, OldBrummie.

The Christian names of C. M. Bramham intrigue me. If your interest in this family is the result of family history research, do you have details of Charles's forebears, say up to three generations back?

Chris

Hi Chris. Elenor Rosa Bramham (nee Chinery) was my 3rd Cousin Twice Removed so somewhat distant. My Mother was a Chinery. I do in fact follow up (or should I say backwards) on families that have contributed to our lines (both Chinery and Platt) purely for adding colour to the story. Here's what I Have on The Bramhams;
Henry Bramham c1785 - c1855 Yorks East Riding wife unknown. His son Henry Bramham c1816 - c1877 Shoemaker Wife Mary Johnson c1823 Hull Yorks married 23 Mar 1846 Hull Yorks Curate Richard Atthill. Their son (second child) Henry Bramham c1849 Hull Yorks. Wife Mary Jane Dawson c1856 Wisbech Camb. married c1878 Kensington Lon. Their son Charles Myers Bramham 14 Jun 1882 Wanstead Lon. Wife Elenor Rosa Chinery 1 Jun 1890 Birmingham. married 12 Jan 1918 St James Edgbaston Hugh Clatworthy Vicar. Finally their Dau Joan Mary 20 Dec 1919. A bit of relevance on Charles is that he served in WWI as a Private in the Royal Warwickshire Regiment, Labour Corp though I haven't followed this up.
Hope this is of interest and I'd be curious to know if you are connected.
Pete. (OldBrummie). ps Hope this all makes sense.

Hi Chris. Elenor Rosa Bramham (nee Chinery) was my 3rd Cousin Twice Removed so somewhat distant. My Mother was a Chinery.............

Thanks, Pete. Interesting information. However, what I cannot see from it is why Henry and Mary Jane (Dawson) should have given their son such an unusual second Christian name – a family name and one I know quite a bit about, but I've never seen it before other than as a surname. I wondered whether Mary Jane was born Myers but it doesn't appear so.

Have you ever wondered about this and perhaps come up with an explanation?

Chris

Thanks, Pete. Interesting information. However, what I cannot see from it is why Henry and Mary Jane (Dawson) should have given their son such an unusual second Christian name – a family name and one I know quite a bit about, but I've never seen it before other than as a surname. I wondered whether Mary Jane was born Myers but it doesn't appear so.

Chris
Chris I confess the name did have me guessing but alas I really have no idea. I will see if I can come up with anything and if successful will let you know. Pete.

the book i have which was published in 2014 also lists names added to the tree of life memorial after it was erected so if any would like me to check names out just ask

lyn

Chris

Friday 8am Aussie time. Chris, I spent a few hours yesterday chasing the Bramhams and any possible link or connection to the family name Myers. Alas, nothing. I went back as far as records (ancestry and findmypast) would allow me but came up with nothing. I used both Bramham and Myers together and separately based on the tree I had created. It is possible the name was used as representing someone of note and not necessarily someone related. (eg, I could have been called Peter Winston Platt). So, unless we were able to find a living relative who might know the answer, I guess it will remain a mystery.
Best wishes. Pete. (as a p.s. if you find something, please let me know.)

Chris

Chris. Further to my last. My Charles Myers was not the only one!
A second Charles Myers Bramham was born in Hull. Yorkshire in 1853. He married a Catherine F and had children Ernest S, Nellie M, Amy V, and Gertrude M. His birth record in 1853 and Census records in 1891 and 1901 illustrate this but I can find no connection to my Charles Myers Bramham. Further, this second Charles Myers seems to appear without his family on the 1911 Census age 57 as a Groom - Domestic. - So the mystery of the name Myers deepens. Peter.

I remember my Mom, and Nan telling me of the raids, my mom was in the WAAF, she was an Ambulance Driver, when home on leave, Coventry was Blitzed, and the ARP asked for any one who was trained to go, Mom drove for 3 days and nights, and I believe was awarded a medal by either Birmingham or Coventry council. Paul

Back