• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Birmingham Civilians Killed-Bombings WW2 List Available

John Young

master brummie
We Will Always Remember ,, Them  :)

I have the Full Listing of 2.241 people killed in the Birmingham Bombings of WW2

Name & Age as depicted on The Tree of Life Statue erected near St Martins Church in The Bullring

If Anyone requires a "Look-up", please feel free to ask,,   No problem ,,Cheers John Y  O0

Thank you Dennis M8  O0

Yes, unfortunately your Cousin Dorothy Heath age 21 is on the list, Bless her  :-*

Others of same Surname are,;William Edward Heath age 69, Mary Ann Heath age 76, Emily Jane Heath age 71,
                                          & Sydney Heath age 25,     All heroes of Birmingham  :)

Thanks for the alternative Commonwealth War Graves Commission site posted, cheers Bob :)

Shucks :crazy2: just when i was going to charge One Pint per "Look-up",, Oh well foiled agin :coolsmiley:

Naah, only kidding,, Just easier for people who are not into ,,Genealogy- tree- researching etc
But want to know if any of Their former be-loved Brummies are on the Memorial list,,
Just as easy for people & New members especially to ask here,,,

Most Welcome,, Cheers John O0

I had a second cousin who was killed in the Carlton Cinema --Leah Elizabeth [Betty] Clifford aged 18yrs 3 months only daughter of William Thomas Clifford and Leah Clifford [dec1935]
Thank you for the 'look up'
Cheers Ann Marie

Hello and Most Welcome ,, Anne Marie  :-*

Yes, but sadly you are quite correct ,

Your second-cousin Leah Elizabeth CLIFFORD age 18 is listed on the Memorial  :(

Others of same Surname are ; Walter age 58, Louisa age 56, John Peter age 26, Dennis age 22, Delia age 19.

Sadly "Lost" but not forgotten, These loved CLIFFORD,s of Birmingham,    Thanks, Anne Marie  O0 John Y

is there a Coventry list any where I have tried with no success looking for a Lilian Bucknill killed April quarter 1941 aged 10

The Birminghan Air Raids Remembrance Association (BARRA) has confirmed that another 15 people will be added to the memorial plaque and a further 8 names are eing investigated, but organisers are making a last ditch appeal for relatives to get in touch if they believe their loved ones have been missed off the list. Names need to be confirmed by the end of June and will be added to the plaque by November. BARRA are now collecting stories for a remembrance book which will be kept at St. Martins Church, near the statue.

Anyone with queries about the memorial or with stories of relatives who died in the blitz should write to Memorial Fund, PO Box 12951, Birmingham. B25 9BD

HI GOOD AFTERNOON,
I AM TRYING TO TRACE MY FAMILY TREE SURNAME BUSHELL BUT I BELIEVE THE NAME TODD AND FERRIS FEATURE THE FAMILY ARE FROM ASTON PHILLIPS STREET OR THAT GENERAL AREA DO ANY OF THE SURNAMES MENTIONED FOR THAT AREA FEATURE.
REGARDS JOHNEDWARD SWANSEA

Hello johnedward O0

Have checked the listings for you,, There are no TODD,s or FERRIS,s on Blitz memorial list at present.

There is however a Charles Bennet BUSHELL age 76 & Ethel Blanche BUSHELL age 74
Hope these are "Linked" in your "Tree" research,, Cheers John Y :)

Hi Icarus,, Sunny enough for you today eh ;)

The list i have is from the B,ham Evening Mail giving just names + ages of those on the Statue
in the Bull Ring (Tree of Life) O0
No family listings/groups etc, just alphabetical indexed.

The site mentioned by ROD may have more info ? of Whom/where/when etc, Hope so
Cheers anyway,, John Y

If anyone is interested I can email them a Microsoft Excel copy of the list as its presented by BARRA

Hi John

I asked about your list because I am in the process of completing a database of the Birmingham WW2 civilian victims which includes addresses and, where given, parents/spouse details. It will be fully sortable/searchable by any criteria.

Hi Icarus & thanks for your post & very useful contributions across this site O0 Nice work Buddy

The "Alphabetical" list, Roll of Honour, 2,241 souls B,ham Blitz victims
was printed by The Birmingham Mail on Saturday 8th October 2005. (Excellent) & Thanks to "Our Mail".

Copies would be available to all interested parties from ,,Back Issues section
Enquiries to www.icbirmingham.co.uk/mail

Best regards & well done on your relevant Database, best of luck Icarus,,, M8 John Y O0

There is a complete list at the back of "Brum Undaunted" by Carl Chinn. I have a cousin on the memorial - Esther Murray. She was killed in the 28/07/42 bombings outside an engravers shop in Vyce Street. She was just 16. For Icarus, Esther was living at 217 Brearley Street, with parents Leah and Edwin. Her death certificate wasn't signed by a next of kin however, but by a council worker who found her.

For those who are interested BARRA will have a display stall at Key Hill Cemetery open day on Saturday.

The Birmingham Air Raids Remembrance Association annual remembrance service takes place this year at 11.00 a.m. on Saturday 27th September 2008 at St Martin's Church in the Bull Ring.

If you lost family members, neighbours, workmates, or friends during the war, you are more than welcome at the service.

Among those attending will be the association's Patron, The Lord Mayor of Birmingham, the Deputy Lord Lieutenant, and taking part will be the Icknield and West Midland Police Male Voice Choirs, the City of Birmingham Brass Band, Standard Bearers and Marine Cadets who will form the guard of honour. It is a very moving service.

For those of you who are not aware, in the far left hand corner of the church, in the de Birmingham Chapel is a photograph titled 'The Birmingham Blitz'. It is in fact a portrayal of the BSA Works on fire in Armoury Road, Small Heath, on the night of the 19th November 1940 when 53 employees were killed. In a cabinet below the photograph is a Roll of Honour listing all those civilians who are known to have died in the war. The original oil painting is in Birmingham Museum and Art Gallery.

Junie

In addition to the above, following the service, wreaths will be laid at the 'Tree of Life' memorial in Edgbaston Street near to the church.

Junie

Ailis,

I'm sure that BARRA will want to know about any omissions. I suggest - in fact strongly recommend - that you go to their website and pick up one of the email addresses (the one that is fairly obviously that of "Junie" is the preferable one). Then drop them a line with your information.

Chris

Hello John

Can I ask if there are only "Fellows" in the list.

This may help fill in a few blanks.

Sorry to to be more specific

Derek

Derek,

Unless I'm misunderstanding you the complete list is now online. See post #18 for the link.

Chris

attachment.php

Back