• Welcome to this forum Guest. We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birmingham Cinemas

ade

master brummie
Sorry I forgot to say the cinema opened on 7th March 1938 with Will Hay in "Oh, Mister Porter"

Williamstreeter

master brummie
Some of my memorable times at the cinema's 1962/3 I was in St John's Ambulance got in the Gaumont free as I was on duty
saw Lawrence of Arabia I enjoyed it that much I had anothe six duties there, I watch it every time it's on the TV . Embarrassing moment me and a mate thought London in The Raw would be a rather steamy movie on the Cinephone Bristol St , so off we trot . We get in the door over to the ticket office bang the young lady giving out the tickets lived around the corner from me and probably knew I was underage , we acknowledged each other she gave me the ticket , the film was useless . The headlines read for this film "Five Healthy Men from Five Different Cities Fainted" over this film . Well you could understand it when you've watched blokes having plugs taken from their head and new hair cells implanted . Then finally one Sunday afternoon 1965/66 we went to the Scala Superama Smallbrook Queensway and saw the whole fifteen episodes of the 1943 of Batman . With J Carroll Naish(Charlie Chan) as Dr Dakar

wam

master brummie
Then finally one Sunday afternoon 1965/66 we went to the Scala Superama Smallbrook Queensway and saw the whole fifteen episodes of the 1943 of Batman . With J Carroll Naish(Charlie Chan) as Dr Dakar
I might have seen that one in the same place (but not the same day). Was that the one that had an episode with an over-the-cliff ending in which the hero is seen to have escaped from the car in the next episode although he was visibly in there on the first?

Williamstreeter

master brummie
I might have seen that one in the same place (but not the same day). Was that the one that had an episode with an over-the-cliff ending in which the hero is seen to have escaped from the car in the next episode although he was visibly in there on the first?
Thats the one Wam