• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Birmingham buses

Theyre great painting/drawings Winston , the one what
caught my eye was the 1st ......... the gritting truck
when roads were gritted manually .
ragga :)

Theyre great painting/drawings Winston , the one what
caught my eye was the 1st ......... the gritting truck
when roads were gritted manually .
ragga :)

That really captures a memory for me, I remember those old bus-lorries out towing in breakdowns and gritting. Again, one survives! Seen here at a rally a few years ago, this one is now in a private collection "near Birmingham".

638 AOG 638 Lorry.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you alf and ragga
takes me back in time to see all the old vehicles of yesterday.everything was taken in it's stride.not like now.everyone dashing about.
seen one today at the watering hole island.i was waiting to turn left up garrison lane.car in front wanted to get past a juggernaut from denmark.which was in the middle lane at the roundabout.the car crept forward.then the juggernaut started pulling out .back end scraped all along the side off the car.the car pulled quickly up the pavement.and he had words with the juggernaut driver .the car driver got out to look at the damage.i was shocked to see he was a copper in uniform.:Aah:

Ragga,
What a great picture! Would I be right in thinking that those buses are on New Street?

Re Buses

RAGGA.I used to see my gran in derby,were they had trolly buses.wierd looking things that run on cables like a tram did,now and again the bus would drive off the cable and the driver/conductor would have to put the arm back on the cable.what happends if the bus went behond reach of the cable? pete

I remember the Stratford Blue's. My dad and I would take the Midland Red from St. Martin's to Stratford and catch the Stratford Blue from there to Welford to go fishing. The terminous in Stratford was behind a pub if I recall and the picture looks a little like it. Some times though, we would catch a Stratford Blue outside St. Martins to go to Stratford. The Stratford Blues were always Leylands as I recall and seemed to be more utilitarian than the nicer Midland Reds.
I remember the terminous in Station Street...maybe on a slight hill down from the rear of the Market Hall was it not. I have been trying to think where we caught the bus when we went to Worcester to fish at Bevere. I think it must have been there. Worcester Street would have been there then. This brings back a lot of memories. Thankyou.

bham buses

Rupert.great stuff i too went on the blue fishing,to wilmcote and wooten wowen with my dad.we got it outside the church in brum,or we got the no8 and got on it on the stratfotd rd, tight lines, picture thanks too Lloyd pete.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cable Trolley Buses.

Peter. I remember those buses that ran on overhead cables, never rode on one but I guess they were more comfortable than a tram with running on tyres. I remember them around by the Beehive and Cars Lane I believe.

Peter can't enlarge your photo:)

Ger22Van

Trolly buses I remember riding on them along Coventry Road from the Swan:)

re buses

Hello,ernie,i dont remember them in brum.but i do remember getting on a tram at the bottom of drews lane/bromford,and getting oil all over me,my mom went mad at me for messing about with the controls. i cant help it,
if it aint broke i still have to fix it. pete

Hello Peter, Sorry late getting back to you. My computer froze up on me for some reason. Those Trolley Buses certainly ran in Birmingham, I asked my wife if she remembered them but she cannot. I hope someone will put a post on to verify what I have said. I feel sure that they probably ran up Albert Street then along High Street and down Carrs Lane

There is already info on trolly busses on here somewhere. They did run in Brum but were more prevelent in Wolverhampton I believe. I rode on them there a few times when we visited Gran's home. They were very smooth and suprisingly powerful; accelerating with a woosh and cruising with a low hum.

re buses

No probs ernie,my pc is always freezing,last week i had a virus
there is input already on trolly buses on the forum pete

Dennis. Rupert. Peter. Thank you all for directing me to what I was looking for, to establish that they did run in Carrs Lane.

All,
Some good memory joggers here.
I remember the gritting lorries as I used to live at the top of the hill on the Washwood Heath Road, almost opposite the Bus Garage.
When it had snowed during the night I would be woken with the sound of 4 or 5 drivers/staff from the depot shvelling salt/grit on to the hill to enable the services to start. The 56 always left the depot on the into City leg of the service which gave them time to get the hill fit for the out of City and subsequent return, up the hill.
From the four volumes on the history of BCT, I have, I understand the Gritting/Recovery vehicles were converted from damaged buses rather than purpose built, presumably converted at Tyburn Road.
I can remember, from my bus spotting days, seeing all the very old out of service buses parked at the rear of Tyburn Road and at the back of Lea Hall depot, in fact we used to sneak in to each depot as nearly all had mothballed vehicles and this was the only way we could 'cop' them, sadly I still have my Ian Allen bus books for Birmingham! Even sadder I still have all my school books and exam papers from Ward End Hall school too!! Sadder still, I don't understand a thing in them any more!!!

Bill.

Not sad at all! I started as a 'spotter', moved on to the saving of old buses, a society that grew to become Wythall Museum, and working on them (Midland Red).
Now an advanced anorak, full of semi-useless historic information.
But not sad - actually quite humorous about it all!

Hi Lloyd: Doyou know John Tucker? He and his friend have collected old buses
in the past.

I did know him, vaguely. Haven't seen him or his buses for some years - are they & he still about?

Night service/Gritting

Anyone remember Inspector bishop who would stand on the corner of Bull St & Colmore Roe.Drivers had to wait for him to shout before you could start your outward trip on the hour on the night service, also I used to work on the gritting lorrys because I lived near Miller St Depot I used to be on call
We used to get double time for It and have our normal duty covered for us

Oh I love those pictures of the old buses......how brill eh? Anyone got a picture of a No 28 bus or an Inner Circle 8?? Such fond memories.........I used to be one of those saddos that collected 'reversible' bus tickets when at school. I'm sure I've still got them somewhere!:D

Winston what great memories those pics brought back, I use to travel with Mom & Dad & late Sister every Saturday Evening to Sydenham Road Small Heath just after the War to see Aunt & Uncle then Dad & Uncle use to go to the Anderson Club across the road to play Snooker and drink a little:)

One particular evening while on the Bus and just passing Hercules I nearly had a bit of trouble.

In the middle of those Daimler's there was a housing that contained the Flywheel with a Hole which I choose to open and put my finger in as you do, well lucky for me someone pulled me away just as I felt the wind blowing on my finger.
Mind you I was good at that someone shut the door on a Train coming back from seeing Dad who was stationed somewhere near Oxford in the War, I lost the Top of my thumb on my right hand that time.:(

THE PHOTOS WERE TAKEN FROM A BOOK.I KNOW IT'S PERHAPS A BIT NAUGHTY.BUT IT'S GOOD ADVERTISING FOR THE PUBLISHERS.IF THEY WANT IT. HERE IS A LINK TO WHERE I GOT THE BOOK FROM.

[ame="https://www.amazon.co.uk/Inner-Circle-Birminghams-Archive-Photographs/dp/0752426362"]Amazon.co.uk: The Inner Circle: Birmingham's No.8 Bus Route: No. 8 (Archive Photographs): Margaret Hanson, Peter Drake, David Harvey: Books[/ame]

Heres A Few Photos Taken Last Year At The Open Day At Wythall Transport Museum.more To Follow.co-op Bakery Van

Back