• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Birmingham buses

Sorry John, just got back from a couple of weeks in sunny Cyprus (although I prefer W-S-M) will get on to it straightaway. Interesting was most service buses over in Cyprus were 30 to 40 year old twice rebodied Bedfords! W-S-M had Bedfords too when I were young.

C3 or C4 type, cant get a clear enough enlargement to read the reg plate.
Sadly none of either type survive.
Here's one having a rest in London:
4194  UHA194.JPG

Last edited:
Still think it is a C3 if Alf took it in1960, as I thought C4's had refurbished grilles in 1959. Over to you Lloyd!

I think you're right Mike, I forgot about the revamped fronts to the touring C4's.
The C3s and C4s were very heavy vehicles and had many brake modifications during their lives as drivers complained that 'They wouldn't stop'!

Sorry John, just got back from a couple of weeks in sunny Cyprus (although I prefer W-S-M) will get on to it straightaway. Interesting was most service buses over in Cyprus were 30 to 40 year old twice rebodied Bedfords! W-S-M had Bedfords too when I were young.
Hi. Mike. I have been away for a couple of weeks also, but only to Berwick on Tweed, wonder if any of those old Bedfords once belonged to Caves.

A.C.Baker was the man in charge of Birmingham Corporation Transport pre WW2 & post WW2 it was familar name to Brummies as it was on every Corporation bus, he was a very well respected Boss and he arranged for the bus`s to be parked overnight in roads were there was little or no chance of them being bombed, special sockets were fitted to the large lamposts so that the engine could be kept warm in winter time.

City to Sheidon and return via the Coventry Rd, photo shows the traffic island and clocking in station at Colliers Corner, Yardley.

Hi. Mike. I have been away for a couple of weeks also, but only to Berwick on Tweed, wonder if any of those old Bedfords once belonged to Caves.

Hi John,
Hope you enjoyed your holiday up there. I am still trying to locate the Caves pic I promised for you, but as my wife keeps reminding me, I've got so much "junk" around the house I can never find anything when I want it.
Regards Bedfords, I don't recall one of these at Caves! Note the extra bottom step.

Mike

City to Sheldon and return via the Coventry Rd, photo shows the traffic island and clocking in station at Colliers Corner, Yardley.

Colliers depot, now a Staples store, used to be a Steam tram depot, as did the International Stock store in Silver Street Kings Heath.

A.C.Baker was the man in charge of Birmingham Corporation Transport pre WW2 & post WW2 it was familiar name to Brummies as it was on every Corporation bus, he was a very well respected Boss and he arranged for the bus`s to be parked overnight in roads were there was little or no chance of them being bombed, special sockets were fitted to the large lamposts so that the engine could be kept warm in winter time.

Arthur Chantrey Baker replaced his father Alfred Baker as General manager of the transport department, having previously been chief engineer and designing the first top-covered motor bus, No 101.
He in turn was succeeded by W.H. Smith, who saw the final tram to bus conversions through, and his successor was W.G. Copestake.
A.C. Baker's son Guy went to the Midland Red, as his father had comments made about him 'stepping into his father's shoes' and didn't want the same problem.

I trained on a Guy Arab? I think it had a crash Box:)

Was it one of these Alf? This was 93, we had 95 at Yardley Wood that I used to take to the bank. Was in the same state as this one I reckon - boiling rad and wonky headlights.

Buses 2995-3000, (JOJ995-9, LOG 300) were delivered with 'constant-mesh' gearboxes, initially for fuel consumption tests (preselector gears always have at least a 5% power loss in the fluid flywheel) and with the intention that they would become training buses on withdrawal. Once the wartime Guys like FOP 401 above went, they were used from time to time on training.
Interestingly, the wartime Guy trainers actually carried bodies from pre-war AEC buses which had been rebodied during the war to prolong their life, and themselves became trainers later. (Note the curve of the cab door does not match the wheelarch). The bus in the photograph above carries the 1943 Brush (of Loughborough) body formerly on AEC 414 (OG 414) as training bus 57, but was in fact new on bus 401 (OG 401), and its construction incorporated seats, staircase and interior fittings of the body it replaced. Nothing was wasted during the war!

That's nice!
The Weymann bodied batch 1403-1406 were higher than normal and subject to restrictions from passing under certain bridges in the city.
1403 itself saw 9 years further service 1951-60 with an operator in Pembroke Dock after Birmingham finished with it.
The only Birmingham wartime survivor is the former Daimler 1429, which had a succession of owners in the Southend area, ending up with that town's municipal transport as a somewhat rebuilt 'Sea-Front' open topper. It is now part of the Castle Point museum collection.

1429 FOP 429 (2).JPG

Last edited:
Here is one of the utility AECs 346 in Yardley Wood depot. The clock on the left is still there but stopped years ago.

346 was withdrawn in 1951 but it's disposal is not recorded. It's not still there is it?

(photo shown here as it's gone from Mike's post)

346  OF 3978.jpg

Last edited:
Wonder how many of the drivers there today could actually get it out of the garage though, never mind do a duty in it, Know Maverick could and our kid, ex. midland Red. but probably only a handfull of others.

Hi Brian, It's nice when someone remembers. I never knew Carol my husband Michael told me she worked there.

Re: 14 Route

Lea Hall garage and in particular the 14 route was used to try out several 'demonstration' buses either bought by or loaned to the Corporation in order to decide what the next fleet was going to be. Stan Palmer and Bill Godden were the regular 'test' drivers, as before the advent of the rear-engined bus there were several designs on trial. I'll put a few photos on for you.
Wow The bridge Master 3228 drove that a few times up and down the rock think it was one of the first with air breaks when you hit a bump it never stopped bouncing for ages..lol great pic lloyd... BH lea Hall.. remember 2211 as well

Nice photos, degsy.
JOJ 775 is in Moor Street, just passing the station. See 'Ringway Music' shop opposite.
JOJ 781 is in Victoria Square, passing the Council House main entrance.
JOJ 784 is on Castle Hill, Dudley.
JOJ 790 is in Stourbridge, working an ex-Midland Red route, note the 'S' over 'E' on the destination, that was a Midland Red code for blinds from Stourbridge Garage, so here's an ex-Birmingham bus fitted with an ex-Midland Red destination blind!

Lloyd,
Many thanks for the info regarding the locations of the BCT Standards listed above. If I could prevail on your local knowledge again, I've attached photos of five more vehicles for which the locations are required please. Many thanks.

Degsy

PS: I think the photo of 2850 JOJ 850 is on Robin Hood Lane in the Hall Green area of the city. Can anyone verify this ?

Hi. Degsy. Thanks for showing the great photo,s, 2850 is in Robin Hood Lane, as you say, the bridge carries the North Warickshire railway to Stratford. the 91J turned at the Jcn. of Robin Hood Ln. and Highfield Rd. where as the 91 carried on to the Baldwin pub in Baldwins Lane, Hall Green. they started at Pheasey, and I believe it was the longest route in the city at that time, late 60s, early 70s, a 27 mile round trip, I worked on this route from Yardley Wood garage arond this time.

2795 - sorry, don't know that area.
As said above, 2850 is in Robin Hood Lane - the island visible behind where people are crossing is Cole Valley Rd (left), Sarehole Rd (right) and Brook Lane (straight on).
2853 is in Colmore Row, Colmore Circus behind with buses coming from Bull Street off camera right.
2856 is in Hill Street, facing away from the Council House and Railway bridges. The Futurist cinema name on it's rear wall is just visible over the bus roof.
2867 could be anywhere - it's a terminus by the looks, and for some reason Scotland Lane Woodgate Valley comes to mind. Just a guess, really.

Pics of 2850 & 2856 reproduced below. I don't have the others.

2850  JOJ 850.jpg
2856  JOJ 856  Hill St.jpg

Last edited:
Back