• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birmingham buses

I had a friend whose Auntie lived right at the junction of Sutton Road and Chester Road and they were often woken up years ago by lorries losing their loads around the flatter island that was once there. The lorries would jackknife and lose their loads.

View attachment 48836View attachment 48835

I must agree lloyd that leyland coming out of Hill St is my favorite and that wonderful
building in the back ground is no longer there or is it ?? looks like it was a summers
day what with all the windows open .
I have wondered where was these other 2 photos taken ??
ragga :)

View attachment 48836View attachment 48835

I must agree lloyd that leyland coming out of Hill St is my favorite and that wonderful
building in the back ground is no longer there or is it ?? looks like it was a summers
day what with all the windows open .
I have wondered where was these other 2 photos taken ??

I think JOJ 282 is just crossing Priory Road. The crane is probably on the site of the old Edgbaston Preparatory School. The picture was probably taken after Dec 1963 since the bus following, which I think is JOJ 959 is headed to Egghill Lane Estate which operated after Dec 1963. Nice picture

Hi Bernard67Arnold

I totally agree. I would never have got back from the nightclubs without the night service buses. Taxi fares were too expensive! You could also hop on if the bus started to drive off - drivers these days won't let you on if they've closed their doors.

Yes that's Lionel Street running to the left. Was that a music shop in those days in the background there?

yes i think your both right about it being at the bottom of snow hill
that building on the left in Lionel street I think its still standing .

Cracking Leyland PD2 colour shot ragga with Chetwyns Corner and newfangled digital thingy in the background. Thanks for posting it.

Ragga do you know the location of this bus i think its in the Hurst St ,Navigation St area not 100% sure though. Dek

Ragga do you know the location of this bus i think its in the Hurst St ,Navigation St area not 100% sure though. Dek

Bottom of Hill st,? Looks like its going over the bridge by New st Station maybe ? Chetwins mens wear in the background Max

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks chaps i,ve got it now just before the Golden Eagle going up the hill (i was looking at it in the wrong direction should have looked at its destination its coming from Whittington Oval) Dek

Cracking Leyland PD2 colour shot ragga with Chetwyns Corner and newfangled digital thingy in the background. Thanks for posting it.

...and the Savoy restaurant too! Other film enthusiasts will be interested what is showing at the Cinephone cinema, although unfortunately an enlargement doesn't quite pick up the title.

Ah, the Midland Red (single) decker isn't Midland Red - nor is the Corporation bus a Corporation bus - as you can see, the city coat-of-arms on the side of JOJ 979 has been covered by the fleetname of both vehicles' new owner, West Midlands PTE. The BMMO S17 type and the route it is displaying, 174 Acocks Green via Olton, had been the subject of takeover by the then new local "public transport executive" in December 1973.

Cheers Lloyd for the info on that Midland red single decker , i use to bus spot around
Acocks green in the 60s and i recall the Midland red terminus at the green and they
serve places like Olton/Solihul where Bct wasan`t allowed to go.

Great photo that Ragga, thanks for putting it on, the park is still there. You probably bus spotted me in the 60s around Acoocks Green, I was on the Red then doing the 170s, etc.

View attachment 52340

Yes Richie ....... shame we cant read whats on @ the Cinaphone :(
heres a nice pic of 2979 @ Acocks Green Garage ,
what is a Midland red decker doing on BCT property i ask ??:rolleyes:

ragga, as Lloyd says, the Midland Red bus and Acocks Green routes 170/2/3/4 were in WMPTE hands when your photo was taken. Midland Red crew breaks had always been taken at their Acocks Green terminus and in Freds Cafe. The takeover meant the longest break (20 minutes) in a duty could now be taken up at Acocks Green Garage where canteen prices were much cheaper than Freds. The red bus will change to a 173 to Yardley for it's next trip before doing two more trips on the 174 and then two trips to Wythall. Sadly WMPTE route changes eventually wiped out the Acocks Green ex Midland Red local services.
Mike

what is a Midland red decker doing on BCT property i ask ??:rolleyes:

Another lovely picture ragga! Of course I'm interested in the ex Midland Red S17 lurking in the shadows. I reckon it's BHA59xC. Lloyd can you make out the last digit?

The 1973 WMPTE takeover of MR Birmingham services (and buses and staff and garages) was not the first time such a thing happened. The same occurred in 1914 when BCT first ran motor buses (on a much smaller scale obviously, and I'm not sure whether any staff transferred on that occasion).

And thanks Mike for your interesting notes re Acocks Green meal break arrangements. It's all good MR (and BCT and WMPTE) "social history".

OK lads I'm outa here! ;)

Back