• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birmingham buses

hi lloyd
Sad photo, its great so many were saved for us to relive our childhood on, I have travelled on most preserved lines when the boys were growing up and a few since, these selfless people who give their time and some them their money to preserve our heritage. just a quick question Lloyd I have tried to download a photo to the forum to my profile but for some reason it seems to be too big and wont download, as you seem so knowligable on photo's Etc can you please advise, all my saved photos seem to be huge for some reason though they are only normal size when I save them??
regards
paul stacey

Do you mean a full sized picture to show, or a small 'avatar' like the coat-of-arms by my name?

hiLloyd
I want the full size photo but to appear like the BCC coat of arms you have, when I view the photo before downloading it appears normal size, when I select to down load The Kurser just keeps on screen nothing happens, when I go back to view why I can only see say my eye which now fills the whole screen??
regards
paul

You have to resize your picture down to the small size, Paul. Do a copy to your desktop, open it, find 'resize' and take it down to about 1" square.
Then try uploading it again.

Nice pic - that is Crossley 2489 - JOJ 489.

Haha! My bus. 2489 JOJ 489 Crossley DD42/6 Ch no 95177. Crossley H30/24 body entered service 1 July 1950 withdrawn 31 March 1969. Purchased 4 September 1969 for prteservation. Full PSV licence. Won Best bus at 2009 Showbus Rally. Never been off the road from 1969! :)

It's the entrance to the old permanent way yard on the north side of Miller Street, opposite the running sheds. I should think the picture was taken in late 1953, shortly after the trams were replaced, as the overhead wires had been removed. Also the two parked buses bore the destination Miller Street Aston Road, that was religiously used for returning to depot for the firsxt few months. This was at the time that the running sheds were still being adapted for use by buses, rather than trams. Hence parking in the old yard.
Peter

I was a mechanic at LIverpool St from 1980 to 1988 and remember 6300, always driven (when it was not off the road due to waiting parts) by the social man John someone an irish fellow
i believe it has been resurrected

Birmingham Mail - News - Top Stories - Drunk Travel West Midlands bus driver gets driving ban
https://www.birminghammail.net/news/top-s...
Horrified passengers could only hang on as the Travel West Midlands bus being driven by Raymond Williams swerved and smashed into vehicles in Hallam Street, Balsall Heath, at 10pm on February

I was just reading this and i thought i am sure that wouldn't have happened a few years ago
thought you guys would be interested,

I think during my time in Birmingham we must have had one of THE best bus services in the country, in rush hour times there was one about every three minutes or so
and with the all night service, there was no need for a car, we couldnt afford one anyway, unless you w ere a doctor, vicar or undertaker, Bernard

Mystery Photo found in a Traffic Office drawer at WMT Yardley Wood Garage. Looks like a retirement group photo for the driver up on the bonnet of what is probably former BCT Standard 3225. The location is Hockley Garage and the driver probably worked the 101 route shown on the destination display. If anyone knows anyone on this photo that might want it and can put me in touch by IM I would be pleased to send it to them post free, as it would be a shame to bin it.

Birmingham Corporation Buses in Scotland.

[FONT=&quot]2010-04-19 19:19:28

[Excuse me folks! I'm straying out of my Midland Red "comfort zone" here! ;)]

Just in case anyone hasn't discovered these yet, here's a list of pictures of Birmingham and ex-Birmingham buses at the Scran database (the links are encoded in the registrations):

# 688 (AOG 688) with J & J Leith (Sanquhar);
# 280 (EOG 280) with A1 Services Ltd;
# 1164 (FOF 164) with Chieftain (# 34);
# 1180 (FOF 180) with Chieftain;
# 1187 (FOF 187) with Chieftain (picture 1);
# 1187 (FOF 187) with Chieftain (picture 2);
# 1197 (FOF 197) with Chieftain;
# 1307 (FOF 307) with Chieftain (# 44);
# 1386 (FOP 386) with J & J Leith (Sanquhar);
# 1402 (FOP 402) with Grahams Bus Services (# 37);
# 3060 (MOF 60) on loan to Glasgow CT (picture 1);
# 3060 (MOF 60) on loan to Glasgow CT (picture 2);
# 3132 (MOF 132) on loan to Glasgow CT (picture 1);
# 3132 (MOF 132) on loan to Glasgow CT (picture 2);
# 3132 (MOF 132) on loan to Glasgow CT (picture 3).

One drawback with the Scran site is that you only get "thumbnail" pictures for free. Subscribers (it costs about £13 for twelve months) can view two stages of magnification, and are permitted to download the images for personal use. There may well be more pictures of Birmingham or ex-Birmingham buses on the site – these are the ones returned by a search on "Birmingham bus". The Scran database is HUGE (some 360,000 pictures) and includes well over 10,000 images of buses, coaches and trams, mostly from the collection of renowned Scottish "busman" Robert Grieves (13 April 1944 – 14 December 2009).
[/FONT]

I've paid my subscription and am wading through the collections at the moment. Lots of bus photos in the reference "accident" as well (mostly Scottish though). "Charabancs" is worth a search, too, although no Midland Red ones (yet!).

Ragga it looks like the Chester Rd by the Yenton Pub can,t say i remember the island though. Dek

Dek and Dave M,
I think you're both right. Since the tram days, the Sutton Road island was raised, with three courses of brickwork running inside the kerb, and earth was stocked inside it to make an efficient barrier to errant motor vehicles. you can see the brick wall still there. You did not have that at the Tyburn Road or Kingsbury Road junctions. The Yenton pub would have been 200 yards up the road on the left.
Peter

Thank you , i think you are all right after looking @ lloyd`s street view
something was telling me it was around by the Pelham in Ward End
but oviously its not . thank you ........ ragga :)

Nice ones, thanks Ragga. Particularly like the Leyland, 2135, on the 16 making the turn from Hill St into New St - look at the shine on those panels!

Back