• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birmingham buses

You are correct, a 'friend' sent it me and he admitted it, I did not look too closely....
The background is Witton Lodge Rd, Capilano Rd in Perry Common our old stomping ground.

Kev it was mine as well went to Hastings Road School I hear all those House's have gone now
:)

Alf the Ovals still the same all the shops are still there but a lot of the ajoining streets have been cleared. Dek

What is it Ray? It won't open, says "Invalid Attachment specified."

I Lloyd I've had a lot of trouble my photo scanner to download this slide but I can't find out why, Ive even had to change the slide holder to a different one.

Try this one see if this works if not I'll try downloading from the scanner again.

The strange thing is that I can open it from the forum site ?

Ray

Yes, that worked. It's mirror image though!
No idea who it is, or where. His driver's badge, DD 12266, is quite an early number but I can't date it accurately.
The bus behind is one of the post-war 'standards', but the photo dates from no earlier than the early 60's as the black trafficator arm has been replaced by an orange flasher lens.
It's not Billy Cotton the band leader, is it??

Had to smile at that photo, typical BCT driver with PSV badge worn as a cap badge as per departmental uniform regulations. Birmingham was the only place I ever came across this practice. The bus because of the reverse image smacks of a Birmingham Standard based Fleetline with doorway at front and the engine at the back. There's one for you to work on Lloyd:smile2:

Thanks Dek the Fish Shop is still there then & the Off Licence:)

The junction between Capilano/Dovedale/Hurstway is unrecognisable now from the past, maybe show some pics on another thread.....

Dad was a conducter in the 1950's, his number was 22171, he recalls.

He remembers someone called 'Harry Harry', Driver Knight who drank all tea in Wellhead Lane.
At Baldwins Lane, Shirley, he said an inspector, the driver and himself were chatting when they noticed a figure on the top deck, they checked and found a man had passed away. My father did not notice as the man was crouched down when he originally checked the bus after the circuit. The inspector asked my dad if he had paid his fare............

Worker 7 pence returns. Night Service with Morning Extra.

On another occasion my father had an inspector and his wife on his bus, as the Inspectors travelled free he decided not to charge his wife any fare, trying to get into his good books.... He was reported by the same Inspector the next day for not collecting his wifes fare, it seems those ' On The Buses' Tv shows were not wrong in the portrayal of these guys....

Yes, that worked. It's mirror image though!
No idea who it is, or where. His driver's badge, DD 12266, is quite an early number but I can't date it accurately.
The bus behind is one of the post-war 'standards', but the photo dates from no earlier than the early 60's as the black trafficator arm has been replaced by an orange flasher lens.
It's not Billy Cotton the band leader, is it??

Nice photo Lloyd my driving instructor looked just like him & he looks like all the Jolly Drivers there were those days.

Hi there might be wrong ! bus looks like it as a blue bonnet top. Maybe one of the 2 Daimlers with a Manchester style front. Happy new Year all you Brummies.

Have had another look! the top deck windows have a straight edge to the so it must be an early Daimler GOE or HOV maybe.

Have had another look! the top deck windows have a straight edge to the so it must be an early Daimler GOE or HOV maybe.

Not with the three-track destination number blind. Other than 1803, it's got to be a 'tin-front' standard.
There were a few exposed radiator buses with sliding rather than half-drop windows, but they were Crossleys, different style bodies entirely.
I wondered if it was a Manchester-bonnet bus, but I think it's just dark shadow on the cream bonnet.
The apparent straight edge to the windows is through blurring - nothing had straight edge upstairs and curved downstairs.

Thanks for that! Bit of a mystery alround! Smashin picture of the Driver tho,just how i like to remember them. God bless them all,Drivers and Conductors. I was one myself briefly at Liverpool Street in 1965 lol

11 bus route, Smoking Points, according to dad, Bromford, Cotteridge Pershore Rd, Kings Head Bearwood.

I understand this 5 minutes had to be found by the driver hurrying up later, I heard that the passengers were still on the bus while this happened...

Yes Kev i can remember the buses stopping for what we thought no reason and the driver and conductor getting off for a chat while the passengers sat there twiggling their thumbs now i no why. Dek

I imagine if you were in a hurry to get to work or an appointment on time it would be so annoying....I understand that an inspector would often be there watching, guess the drivers had crafty fags and conductors while collecting upstairs,

Thanks Kev, for asking dad about the smoking stops, can he confirm that Sarehole Mill was also an official smoking stop, there were many times when I was on the way to Hall Green Tech. (late as usual) , when the bus stopped there and the driver/conductor would lean over the bridge smoking. The Tech was only two stops further on but it meant walking up the Cole Bank Road hill.

Colin

Your Welcome Colin B , I will see him tomorrow and ask him. I wonder if they still had their breaks when it was raining hard? Hard to light when wet.

hi all
what number bus went to weoley castle in late 50s early 60's
paul
21 Suffolk Street, Selly Oak, Weoley Park Road, Castle Square, Barnes Hill, Woodcock Lane, Bangham Pit.
22 via Holloway Head, Five Ways, Harborne, Stonehouse, Weoley Castle, Gibbins Toad, Selly Oak and reverse.

hi david
thank you very much for your information, I used those services for many years, and still have the old plastic tokens given by BCC for school children to use, was the number 12 service for bartley green? I had a small stroke in March 2009 and although it did not damage my health too much it has left me with memory problems, and I was sure the 12 went to bartley green.
paul

hi david
thank you very much for your information, I used those services for many years, and still have the old plastic tokens given by BCC for school children to use, was the number 12 service for bartley green? I had a small stroke in March 2009 and although it did not damage my health too much it has left me with memory problems, and I was sure the 12 went to bartley green.
paul
Hi Paul i lived in Harborne 60s 70s and the number 12 came through Harborne and on up to Bartley Green,So you remember correctly,

hi david
paul

12 went to Bartley Green and originally terminated at the top of Adams Hill at the Jiggins Lane terminus.

thank you elizebeth and david
I lived in adams hill in the 50's and I remember when the terminus at the top of jiggins lane facing hudsons the paper shop was a tram terminus with a green wrought iron shed about 25' long with seats in side beside it was a cafe. I do remember in harborne in the late 50's early 60's a greasy spoon cum frothy coffee cafe with a duke box in was in a little passage way across the island from the duke of york pub, just up the road which went to selly oak, I don't suppose you remember the name of it .
regards
paul

I wonder what happened to that wrought iron bus shelter Paul? it would have made a great garden feature.:)

My dad told me yesterday,in the early day's of Kingstanding,( the thirties ),the No.33 bus on a monday morning was known as the "pawnbroker special".:)

Back