• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birmingham buses

miller st. i had a part time job there washing the buses in side.with smelly disinfectant jeys fluid. i think.they asked if i wanted a job putting stickers on the sides of the buses. any one remember the contractors name, i think it started with a m. not a lot to go on sorry,

Not Buses but coach related. We used a thick jelly type floor cleaner when I worked for Stocklands, what you didn't do was leave it undiluted on your hands or the skin would come off, smelled nice though.

I've just remembered my sister in law Helen (Nellie) Cox (Photo Post #193 in the photos thread) was a BCT bus conductress back in the late 40s/50s

Image on the wall of West Midland's Travel shop. I don't think I remember a double door bus like this one used in Brum?.DSC_0140.jpg

These bigger window'd Park Royal bodies were part of the last order (pre WMPTE) of 100 fleetlines 3881-3980. Being a longer length (33 feet) they were dubbed "Jumbos" bodied with a centre exit door.

As I remember it Birmingham had a fleet of ex London Transport buses with the centre exit. I remember that on a couple occasions I saw the red LT paint where the WMT paint had been sratched. On most of the buses the centre exit was closed off and extra seats added. I think there was a problem with people getting on via the center door and not paying.

There are three buses in that photo - ignoring the two in the far background.
The newer bus, on route 63, looks like one of 100 Daimler Fleetlines ordered by BCT, nicknamed 'Jumbos',as they were 33ft. in length. and entered service in late 1969 soon passing to the PTE. Fleet number were 3881 - 3980 SOE 881H - SOE 980H. Initially planned for the Inner Circle 8, however due to the low bridges in Highgate Road and Icknield Street that sent them elsewhere in the city.
OG 387 (387) was an AEC Regent of 1930. It was given an austerity body during 1943. The bus survived until 1950.
The vehicle behind OG 387 is not easy to identify. It seems to be one delivered between 1935 and 1939.

I have just joined this wonderful Birmingham bus forum,I am 77 and thought I would let you all know I first started work at hockey bus garage 1955 my biggest SURPRISE was in the repair part of the garage were femail workers,and you stood no messing with them,I wish I took photos,of them and the garage,I remember working with a realtor nice man called HARRY CLARK.the photo iv sent you was my pay packet, I gave that to my mom and she gave me back spending money, along the one side of the garage was a line of early buses with snow scrapes underneath,they were started up every so often,to me they were in very good condition,but in all the buses it was great to see all that wood finishing, as you got on the bus you see sign saying NO SMOKING OR SPITTING,on the BUSH body's over the fluid flywheel cover was the name BUSH,and inside the LAYLAND,as you go inside at the far end just above were the gearbox is,as you lookup you see a threaded hole,so if you were to take out the gearbox,a hook could be screw in so you could lift the. Gearbox up and out, I do remember one morning, some one had backed a bus and flattened the fuel pumps,what a mess
i lived in ST GILES ROAD TILE CROSS,and the B.C.T gave me a bus pass for work,I tried to get an apprenticeship there but was turned down,so I started work at PRESTAGE main Vauxhall and had an apprenticeship there,but when I was 21 I got my P.S.V ( AND MY BADGE ) at L.F BOWENS ,part time,as I had a love for buses and coaches.
On Saturday I did the express run from brum to tenby South Wales,and was payed £1.50 for that and BOWEN gave me in an envelope £ 2.00 for fuel ,for the return trip, but not many people have me a tip, the most was half a crown,but I loved doing it.
Well there's a lot more I could tell you,but let me know what you think,about my story.
I wish you all the very best.

Attachments

• IMG_20190210_122202.jpg
    IMG_20190210_122202.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 39
CVP 108 probably the most looked at bus on the BHF deserves a place in this Bus Thread... there might be a few who have never seen it. (images from other threads and only visible if logged in)
index.php
A view of New Street notable for the bus CVP 108 which in this pic is on the 3A route but was in an unknown location on the Inner Circle route in another thread
index.php

Hi Maurice,
I noted the CVP 108 number plate on the bus and had a search for a bus with that number and good old Google found it in scrapyard !
Phil
index.php

Last edited:
ROC 300R and KOX 760F in Deritend early 1980s. (showing bus image from another thread and only visible if logged in)
Two buses neck and neck in Deritend and a mini has spotted a gap but neither bus driver is looking in their rear view mirrors. Early 1980s.
index.php

I have just joined this wonderful Birmingham bus forum,I am 77 and thought I would let you all know I first started work at hockey bus garage 1955 my biggest SURPRISE was in the repair part of the garage were femail workers,and you stood no messing with them,I wish I took photos,of them and the garage,I remember working with a realtor nice man called HARRY CLARK.the photo iv sent you was my pay packet, I gave that to my mom and she gave me back spending money, along the one side of the garage was a line of early buses with snow scrapes underneath,they were started up every so often,to me they were in very good condition,but in all the buses it was great to see all that wood finishing, as you got on the bus you see sign saying NO SMOKING OR SPITTING,on the BUSH body's over the fluid flywheel cover was the name BUSH,and inside the LAYLAND,as you go inside at the far end just above were the gearbox is,as you lookup you see a threaded hole,so if you were to take out the gearbox,a hook could be screw in so you could lift the. Gearbox up and out, I do remember one morning, some one had backed a bus and flattened the fuel pumps,what a mess
i lived in ST GILES ROAD TILE CROSS,and the B.C.T gave me a bus pass for work,I tried to get an apprenticeship there but was turned down,so I started work at PRESTAGE main Vauxhall and had an apprenticeship there,but when I was 21 I got my P.S.V ( AND MY BADGE ) at L.F BOWENS ,part time,as I had a love for buses and coaches.
On Saturday I did the express run from brum to tenby South Wales,and was payed £1.50 for that and BOWEN gave me in an envelope £ 2.00 for fuel ,for the return trip, but not many people have me a tip, the most was half a crown,but I loved doing it.
Well there's a lot more I could tell you,but let me know what you think,about my story.
I wish you all the very best.
Nice reading about the similar coaching experiences I remember just a few years before mine. I also obtained my PSV when 21whilst working as a mechanic for a coach company, Stocklands, and would often cover the overnight South Devon run, seem to remember the pay was half a crown an hour but that would have been 1966/67. Sorry to jump onto the Buses thread will restrain myself in the future.

SDA 641S in front of two other buses in Bull Street 1981. Drivers busy taking fares ... in cash.
I remember when it was like this and Lewis's was open.
index.php

A camera saw it in greyscale.
index.php
from another thread ... pics only visible if logged in.

Is the Stratford Blue bus outside the Red Lion in Stratford? Dave.
Stratford Blue buses did use the Red Lion car park. The company had a good relationship with Flowers Brewery and leased land there from 1932 until the 1980's.
Not Birmingham history really, but during the Midland Red staff shortage starting in the early 1950's S Blue did run one bus per hour on the 150 to Birmingham, being hired to the M. Red.

There is information about this bus elsewhere on BHF. That news report sounds like baloney.
The registration was 7000 HP. It was the very first Daimler Fleetline built, designed as competition with Leyland's Atlantean bus. It was exhibited at the 1960 Commercial Motor Show, in BCT livery. It ran for almost two months (Dec. 60 and Jan. 61) in the city. It was intended to be 3229 VP (3229) and was one of a few demonstrators trialled by BCT around that time.
However Daimler had other ideas as they wanted this bus to tour the country in order chasing. It was a success as far as the city was concerned, an order for 300 in 1963 with over 600 passing to the new PTE.
was surprised to see this bus (still in BCT livery) in Paignton running on the very hilly local routes in the town. Devon General often had demonstrators on hire in peak summertime. However, the Daimler Fleeetline didn't win over the Leyland Atlantean, DG already had experience of them.
In 1966 a private operator, Blue Bus Services in Derbyshire bought it. Its demise was in a garage fire in January 1976.
View attachment 130651
Do you remember 9 JML I used to get the NO 14 into Old Square daily and I noticed this "new" bus was frequently on this route.

There are many references on BHF to this bus, 9 JML, an experimental AEC Bridgemaster. Built in 1956 and hired to BCT, who purchased it in 1957. It remained in service until 1969. Based at Lea Hall it was generally on the 14 route. There is a photo of it on the 28. Photos do not show very often in older threads.

Back