• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Birmingham boxers?

Hi Charliewag
i just want to say a big thank you for letting me know about dave ruebuens death i was unaware of it of him passing away in 2003
as i lost contact wih him through one thing and and other and moving from brum as well i do not surpose you know what he died of i suspect his drinking habbit
contributed to his illness the very last time i seen him was when he missed his bus stop in pershore rd and he was in a bad state of affairs
he was in a bad state falling over and his shirt was torn and hanging out the bus driver must have reconised him and put him off the bus jst oppersite is old address
because dave left his old address and had a bunolow built up in harborne and the other conclusion is he forgot he moved out and moved to harborne
and he wanted to see the new owners whom owned one of the big night clubs on hagley rd his house used to be next to alan towers off the bbc before he left brum and went to aussie land and his new neibour then was a very wealthy lady by the name of audry knowlels she must have owned half the properties in selly park but she also died shortly after dave
sorry i did not respond to your thread before nowi must have been busy its the only way i missed it
best wishes astonian

Hi Astonian

Dave pass away in a old folks home, old age and dementia. His wife Lorna passed away a couple years back now.
My wife's cousin married Dave's son Terry Reuben, he passed on April 2000. Sorry it's all bad news. But there you are
it comes to us all in the end.

Charliewag

HI CHARLIE
Once again charlie a bigger thank you for filling me in on them all after reading your thread i thought of lorna and terry and how lorna would have coped
and now knowing terry and lorna have gone whom i also knew very well as gone was a shock to my system
in the case of lorna , i and other close friends do duly beleive she worked her self to death in that large house in selly park before movig to he bunolow they had built
dave and lorna had a brillient house keeper and cleaner whom kept it great but in the case of lorna after lunch she would get down on her knees and go round scrubbing the floors even thou the cleaning lady had done it top to bottom even in the outer house we often spoke about her behind her back she was a great lovely person and we would say it as to be an illness for what she is doing and it will be the death of her its been very sad for me to know they have all gone thanks charlie astonian

Jack hood was my grandmothers brother .he owned a pub called the bell in tanworth ..his gloves still hang behind the bar.....i believe he is buried in the small churchyard there ..

In the early 70's I had an old Rover 75 that had a braking problem and late one I night nudged into the rear of a Rolls Royce at traffic lights in Saltley somewhere. There was no other soul around as the driver got out looked at his rear bumper and advanced towards me. He said, "You know who I am and you're dead lucky there is no damage". He left me with my knees knocking and an urgent need for the lavatory. It was Johnny Prescott.

Hi chris
we always said johny was a very nice hard working gentleman from nechells and always had time for decent folks
a friend of mine whom knows his sister from great barr told me johns health is in a bad way and he aint the johny we know about or used to know
he earnt is crust fair and square from boxing and from hard bussinesss
best wishes chris astonian

I recall being told that Johnny Prescott was raised in an orphanage............... can anyone comfirm this and if so what orphanage was it?

I recall being told that Johnny Prescott was raised in an orphanage............... can anyone comfirm this and if so what orphanage was it?
If I remember right he was raised by his grandparents in Aston. Dek

Not sure about the orphanage, but I know he lived at his grandmother's house, as I went there a couple of times with him and Derek Dougan. I used to go out with Derek and my friend Pat went out with John.

When I worked for HP Sauce as a driver in the 60s one of men that worked there was a journeyman boxer named Paul Brown. In December 1967 he fought Joe Bugner in Joe's first professional fight and knocked him out in the 3rd round. He was the only one to ever do it. Paul was a gentle giant and a perfect gentleman. He later finished with boxing and went on to be a driver with me at HP Sauce.

how right you are about paul brown, my old boxing buddy from morris commercial, i often wonder how he is now. as a matter of interest: paul and i were going through one of our sparring sessions one day, some four or five three minute rounds when the young joe bugner walked in with his manager. now paul and me were going hell for leather, gloves going all over each other,--but there was one big difference-- paul being the big gentle giant he was let me do all the work, holding back on his punches , i was a welterwieght and looked and felt great, that is what joe bugner looked at on that day. it often amuses me to think young joe and his manager thought they had a easy fight with paul seeing as how slow and lumbering he was with me. i heard paul turned to religion and havnt seen him since those days, yes he was a gent. claribel: you dont know whats happened to paul do you? how he,s been getting on? i would like to say hello.

john was raised in a orphanage but it could only have been for short time as he was bought up by his granparents tommy and mary in william henry street aston, john was my hero as a kid. great bloke.

have to smile at that photo of the young bert kirby, his grandson micky, -dad john, rag-pot- is a good pal of mine, as are all his family, the genes certainly pass down, mick is the spit of his grandad.

Johnny Prescott worked at Wilmot Breedon Tysely when I worked there in the late fifties, he boxed for W/B boxing club, I think his job was in the blacksmiths shop.

Nick

how right you are about paul brown, my old boxing buddy from morris commercial, i often wonder how he is now. as a matter of interest: paul and i were going through one of our sparring sessions one day, some four or five three minute rounds when the young joe bugner walked in with his manager. now paul and me were going hell for leather, gloves going all over each other,--but there was one big difference-- paul being the big gentle giant he was let me do all the work, holding back on his punches , i was a welterwieght and looked and felt great, that is what joe bugner looked at on that day. it often amuses me to think young joe and his manager thought they had a easy fight with paul seeing as how slow and lumbering he was with me. i heard paul turned to religion and havnt seen him since those days, yes he was a gent. claribel: you dont know whats happened to paul do you? how he,s been getting on? i would like to say hello.
Hello Tommy, I'm glad someone else remembers Paul, as I said he went on to be a driver At HP Sauce then he was made redundant and went on to work for Lowfield Distribution in Tamworth. I then lost touch with him until about 18 months ago when my son who was a goods inwards manager at a company in Minworth said that Paul came in with a delivery, so i think that he is still working i will ask my son who Paul was working for. He remembers him from when he was a young lad and Paul used to come to our house. And yes he did turn to religion, but he was still the same Paul at work he didnt try to change anybody else. Like you I would like to see him again.

Last edited:
Tommy I have found out where paul is now living, I will send you a private message, Clive

Thanks Ray,what a great site.I found my uncle on the list of boxers,but unfortunately his name is spelt incorrectly.Moss.

Moss,
Who was your uncle?.I'm sure,Miles Templeton who owns the site would appreciate it.if you contacted him and corrected your uncles name.
Ray.

Morning Ray.I did try to send a message to Miles Templeton but couldnt find his email address on his site.
My uncle was Albert KINDON,on his site he has spelt it Kingdon.Moss.

Moss,
Go on the site,click on "about me"bottom right,and then click on "contact me",also bottom right.

Ray,I've tried that but a screen comes up stating "Could not perform this operation because the default mail client is not properly installed"Moss.

Tommy Pardoe was my Great Uncle; he was born on April 14 1911 and lived in Church Walk, Ward End Birmingham, one of fifteen children.
He became Amateur Flyweight Champion of Great Brittan (ABA) on 20 March 1929: winning the title on a further five subsequent occasions. He fought in the 1932 summer Olympic Games in Los Angeles and was ranked forth. Tommy Pardoe’s forth place in the 1932 Olympic Games has been on my mind for some time now; I can clearly remember his bronze medal as a young boy, he was very proud of it.
A possible explanation is that he was knocked out in the semi final by Francisco Cabanas of Mexico, and Lost to Lou Salica, United States in a walk-over match.
In boxing, if one of the semi-final losers is knocked out, he can't box again for a certain time period as a safety precaution, and it wouldn’t be fair to take away his chance at a bronze medal just because his semi-final opponent was so much better than the others, in all other cases the losing semi-finalists both get a bronze in Olympics and other games because, there are no qualifying events before the main events.
Tommy competed for England and finished second in the 1930 British Empire Games Flyweight class after losing the final to Jacob Smith.
He turned professional and on the 11 December 1933 won his first fight with Bert Kirby, who he again defeated on 12 March 1934 in the British (Southern Area) Flyweight Title. On 11 June 1934 he beat Joe Mendiola and then fought Benny Lynch 15 April 1935.
As already mentioned, he put up a tremendous fight against Lynch in an Eliminator for British Flyweight title, winning five of the last six rounds, but unfortunately, baring in mind Lynch’s superior experience (82 Professional fights) he was knocked out in the fourteenth round. I believe that they both really battered themselves senseless in this fight, and have heard some people say that it was this fight that turned Lynch to drink; it seemed to spell the end of Tommy’s professional career, he had a further seven fights, but did not win another professional fight.
Tommy was a very kind and modest man, I remember his very think fingers and cauliflower ear: he died 7 December 1992.
I do have a few photographs, if anyone is interested.
The Pardoe’s of Ward End were a very large family, along with Joe Dainty who lived with them, if anyone does have any information about them, it would be much appreciated

Slightly off thread, but am I right in thinking that Kynoch's used to host the Birmingham Schoolboys' boxing championships ? in their large works canteen ?

Back