• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birmingham boxers?

alandeej

knowlegable brummie
I've been given some photo's that my late dad had, as he was a keen boxing fan the photo's I have are of boxers.
Does anyone know who they are:

Roy Baird & Ray Corbett ring any bells (pardon the pun)?
I think their promotor was Al Lawley and the address on the photo's is 267 Icknield Port Road, B'ham 16.

I remember a rumour going around the playground at school that the great Wally Swift was drinking in the Queens Head Pub (see picture below). We ran around to the pub at play-time from school and I recall being lifted-up above the window cill to catch a glimpse of the great man... The rumour was correct. mabz

I knew a boxer he owned a shop on the corner of six ways Erdington, his first name was David, cannot recall his second. Boy was he to die for Yummyyyyyyyyyyy...Cat

I remember Tommy Jennings from Catherine street Aston he was my friends brother. Dave Bath put a photo on of him last week when he bowled in the same team. He had to give up boxing but I can't remember the reason?. Jean.

I remember a rumour going around the playground at school that the great Wally Swift was drinking in the Queens Head Pub (see picture below). We ran around to the pub at play-time from school and I recall being lifted-up above the window cill to catch a glimpse of the great man... The rumour was correct. mabz

I think Jack Hood came from Birmingham, I know he ran a pub at Tanworth- in - Arden.

Although not a true Brummie, Pat Cowdell came from the black country and used to work at Fisher & Ludlow's at Castle Bromwich. mabz

Taken from news.bbc.uk

CLASS OF '74 - CHRISTCHURCH, NEW ZEALAND

_41273270_cowdell66.jpg
Pat Cowdell (England) - Bantamweight
Black Country boy Cowdell was one of three English gold medallists in New Zealand, and he would eventually share a ring with two of the greatest featherweights in history.
In 1981, he came within a whisker of dethroning WBC king and Mexican legend Salvador Sanchez, a 15th-round knockdown probably costing him the decision. Four years later, he was sparked in one round by Ghanaian world champion Azumah Nelson.

Owen Moran-Born Hospital Street,Hockley,Birmingham.
Born 1884 Died 1949 in Birmingham.
Became World Bantamweight Champion.Fighting many times in America in fights lasting 20 rounds.
Mike Tyson once said Owen was the best pound for pound fighter ever.

Maurice.

Tommy Pardoe was a Birmingham boxer of the 1920s he boxed from where i used to work Metro Cammell he boxed in the Olympic games before turning Pro

He boxed the great Benny Lynch and boxed his ears off but never got the decision

Mau-reece

Jonny Mann ( lightwieght ) won 54 (KO 15) + lost 24 (KO 3) + drawn 13 = 91 born birmingham 04-11-1932 after he retired he worked for Turner bros cliveland st aston.

JOHNNY PRESCOTT the Upper Thomas St School lad coached by Mr Millner school sports teacher. Remember his Fight with Henry Cooper.

Does anyone remember a boxer called John Henry Coope or Cope back in the late 50's early 60's ?

Hi, my grandfather was a Birmingham boxer - do you have more photos of the boxers?

Grandfather's name was Len (Tiger) Smith and his proffessional boxing bouts took place during 1926 and 1940. He had over 200 bouts.

Any info/photos PLEASE?? - THANKS!!
Emmie

Back