• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Birchfield Road Perry Barr

thanks mike...it looks like a possable pub car park on the left but i cant think where along the birchfield road this would have been...reminds me a bit of soho road...there was also a bakers here on the hawthorn road but i know its not that..

lyn

Can anyone make out the number of that bus? It looks like 24 to me. Somehow this doesn't seem like Birchfield Road, but I could be wrong (and not for the first time!).

Big Gee

hi big gee have to agree with you i didnt think it was the birchfield road either...as i said earlier it had a looked of soho road to me...ive been trying to make out the number of that bus but cant quite do it.. if its the 74 then it could well be soho road..only a hunch mind you..

lyn

It looks as if it is Birchfield Rd because when the Baker's shops are compared in these two photos, the upper windows look the same, the step in the roof levels, and the 'no waiting' sign on the pavement and other items.

1960small.jpg

librarysmall.jpg

Last edited:
Definitely Birchfield Road! Same street light fittings. 'Bakers' has one of those street light fittings nearby. The two photos seem to show the view from different directions. Bakers on the left in one and Bakers on the right in the other.Viv.

Yes it is Birchfield road comparing the 2 photos , on the second photo theres a bus peeping out at a side road , what would that road be please ??
ragga ..........

I think it might be a bus coming out of the bus garage which I think was opposite the Birchfield Cinema.
oldmohawk

the bay windows over the shops are identical the ones on right hand side of the first photo mach up with the ones on lefthand side of the photo in the second pic

Also looking at the bay window in the upper right area of the left hand photo, you can see the same bay windows on the left side of the right hand photo, indicating where the left hand photo was taken from.
(I think I've got my lefts and rights ok !)
oldmohawk

Oh yes mohawk there was a bus garage named Birchfield road so that could be it Thanks .......ragga .....

In the left hand photo in post #51 and the original photo in post #44 , I was puzzled by the car park, but the Bakers photo here shows it must be the Crown and Cushion car park. The left hand postcard pic shows those old bay windows again.
birchfield1.jpg

Old postcard showing really old view and the bay windows on the right.

Bakers.jpg

Bakers shop with Wellington Rd showing glimpse of Crown & Cushion.

Last edited:
What lovely photo's all of Birchfield road that bring back lovely memories of when I used to visit my Nan in Franchise street Driving through Birchfield road and across the island then past the Odeon I was shocked to see the streets litter strewn and even more so past the Mosque. Not what I remember as a child!.

Yep, Birchfield Road it is! Old Mohawk's photos in #59 clinched it. The car-park is definitely the one in front of the Crown & Cushion. Most views of Birchfield Road that I've seen have been taken from the opposite direction.

Big Gee

Looking at Oldmohawk's 2nd photo on post #59 there's a road name above the chemists. Can't actually read it but feel it says 'Birchfield Road'. Or is that just 'cos I now think it's Birchfield Road? ! Viv.

Most of the lamposts don't have light fittings on top in Topsyturvey's postcard and in Oldmohawks first picture in post #57. And they seem to be virtually the same view, library to the right. Viv.

yes viv you are right...i still find it hard to imagine that it once looked like this...

lyn

Nice pic Topsy - I notice the library has that porch tiled roof over it's doorway and it can be seen in the bottom right hand corner of the left pic in post # 51.
I had a look on Google streetview at today's scene - oh dear ! - but I suppose it is the only way they could allow for modern traffic in the area.
oldmohawk

I'm also convinced Oldmohawks first photo in post#51 is pretty well the same as Topsy's postcard. You can tell by the stepped up roofline on the left-hand side ( above Bakers in the photo). Viv.

Back