• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Birchfield Road Perry Barr

Viv
In the directory I was looking at there was no number given for the odeon, so I was estimating
Mike

Right Mike, makes sense that the Picturedrome was probably the predecessor Viv.

Hi All. The "Birchfield Picturedrome" was first opened in 1913 under that name. My wife has an inscribed cigarette case given to her grandfather by the architect on completion of the building. He was the builder. Hope this clarifies any confusion. Incidently, the Odeon was the first and only cinema on its present site. Regards. willey

Just had another look at the cinema treasures site I posted in post #26 and the Birchfield Picture House is listed on there too! There's a great photo of the interior. Here's the link. Looks like when this theatre was demolished Woolworths was built on the site. Viv.

https://cinematreasures.org/theaters/36943

Hi Viv,
Thanks for that link, just found the one I used to go to - the Clifton Cinema and it's a Grade2 listed building !
oldmohawk

Yes Graham, Pat Harper was my sister's friend when they were little girls. Once Jenn went to Great Barr Comp I think they went their own ways.
We have exchanged info before, I think your brother is Michael B !!
Witton was always B6, before post codes we all had numbers to make it easier for the postmen. My husband lived in Amberley Grove right on the edge of Witton/Erdington and that was also B6.
Oldmohawk, the Clifton has been very well taken care of, I have watched it over the years and not a brick has changed. I used to walk,to it with my aunt from Hamstead along the cut (canal) some Saturday evenings. Sometimes we would go to the Beacon, opposite the Scott Arms.

Just had another look at the cinema treasures site I posted in post #26 and the Birchfield Picture House is listed on there too! There's a great photo of the interior. Here's the link. Looks like when this theatre was demolished Woolworths was built on the site. Viv.

https://cinematreasures.org/theaters/36943

Thanks for that link about the Birchfield.

I stand corrected in what I said before about thinking the King and I was the last film shown there. My mother DID take me to to see that (which I can just about remember, it was in the winter and snow was around) but the last film shown there was South Pacific in 62 which I also saw at the Birchfield.

what a lovely interior viv...i cant recall a woolies on the birchfield road though....

mike if you see this post is there any chance of a map pinpointing where the birchfield pic house stood...

thanks mike...

If I recall correctly, the Birchfield was in the block between Aston lane and Bragg Road, near the library (also now demolished)

Charlie,

what years were you at Canterbury Road? I was there 1951 - 57, but don't remember being given homework...

Big Gee
My Sister would have been at Canterbury road during these years (Lesley Cook). The postal address where we lived off Perry avenue was 22B and classed as Perry Barr, always remember the phone Number Birchfield 5200.

Hello Di,

yes, we did speak before. My brother certainly is Michael B, but these days we see very little of him. Pat Harper was the first girl I took a fancy too - I must have been all of 11. I kicked around with a few other kids around Woodall and Norris Roads - I can see their faces but can't put names to them. Another world, really.

Hope you're keeping well, all the best,

Big Gee

Lyn
there is no large scale map of the area after 1917. However the Picturedrome was on the east side, between Thornbury Rd & the Broadway. On the 1021 map below the building I think was the Picturedrome is in red. In the c 1917 map it is marked as "Lodge", so has either been converted or rebuilt.

CORRECTION
This map shows incorrect position. SEE #68 for correct map. Have left this here so as not to confuse people who read Sparks comments etc
map_c_1921_showing_probable_position_of_Picturedrome_cinema__birchfield_rd.jpg

brilliant mike..now i know the exact spot...

thanks mike dont know what i would do without your maps....

lyn

Thanks Mike - it must have been a bit higher up the Birchfield Road from where I remembered?

Actually, looking at Google Street View, I think I am right about the Birchfield having been between Aston Lane and Bragg Road.

I remember the Birchfield in the 50's and the buildings higher up between Bragg Road and the Broadway/ Thornbury Road were built earlier (in the 30's I would guess) so it can't have been there.

Yes you sre right Sparks. the number i got from the directory (couldn't find it in any other directory) must be a missprint. Also this morning there is a largish scale map c 1953 showing the Birchfield. It wasn't there yeasterday !! Map is below. Have added correction to earlier posts

map_c_1953_showing_Birchfield_cinema2C_earlier_site_of_Picturedrome.jpg

Does anyone remember Bill the Bandit a supermarket on the Birchfield Road, it was situated in the middle I think, I use to go with mum shopping every Friday I think there was a post office along there as well thanks if anyone remembers

Is the sports ground between Aston Lane and Thornbury Road still there? I remember when I was in All Souls Cubs (177th, if I recall correctly) we had the occasional 'sports day' there.

Bill The Bandit was just along from the Mosque, but it's long gone. We shopped there a few times after we married and lived in Woodridge down off Trinity Road, but we always thought it a rather shabby place. The Post Office is still there.

Big Gee

Thanks the post office is still there how interesting we use to attend a Sunday School called Christadelphian Hall it was accross the flyover like when your going to heathfield road does anyone remember going to this Sunday School, we use to have great days out with ready made lunch boxes it was fab and the teachers were lovely though vague I hope someone remembers the church and some of the old names thanks

I Think it was Bill the Bandit where we hired videos from in early 80s. You had to register to hire a film name/address etc. Shortly after joining we were burgled only the video rec was stolen. ??

A photo of the Birchfield Picture House in 1952 and the Perry Barr Restaurant. Should bring back fond memories ..... Viv

Birchfield_Picture_House_1952.JPG

And this is the Odeon Perry Barr just before opening its doors for the first time in 1930. Viv.

Odeon_Perry_Barr_1930.JPG

Wonderful pics Vivienne. I can still taste the beans on toast from that restaurant.....must stock up with more Rennies!

I never knew until this thread that The Birchfield Cinema was originally built as the Picturedrome. Nor did I realise it was built as long ago as 1913. You live and learn, eh?

Has anyone got a photo of the shops opposite The Birchfield, including R Watts' toy-shop? There was a line of shops that stood back from the road, and I think there was a florist amongst them.

Big Gee

The Co-op seems to have had a sizeable presence along Birchfield Road in 1932. I don't remember this at all, must have gone by the time I knew Birchfield Road. Anyone know whereabouts this was along Birchfield Road? Viv.

Birchfield_Road_1932.JPG

great pic viv..i dont recall it either...maybe mike could help us out yet again with another map..

Dont need another map Lyn. It was 323-329, next to the library . Going north it went Birchfield cinema, Library. Co-op
Mike

Thanks Mike.That's great. We've managed to reconstruct a fair stretch of Birchfield Road! I expect the Co-op building went when the underpass was built through Perry Barr in 60s. Viv.

Back