• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Bingley Hall

I remember being taken to the Ideal Home exhibition as a child but the main thing I remember is my Dad decamping there for the rush of Christmas post - he normally worked at Hill st, sorting office. Mom told me he always complained about the smell, as they followed a livestock show!
Anyone know of this?
Jan

I also went to Bingley Hall for the circus and was hit on the head with a rubber hammer by a clown. It hurt and put me off circus's. Does anyone remember the Student's Rag week in Brum town?

Di.Poppit, you are searching name Worrall. I have a contact Dennis Worrall (age 71)who lived in Lyndon Rd Sheldon (now Solihull) but currently lives o/s. If you think he might be who you are looking for, email me on [email protected] . OldBrummie

I remember The Ideal Home Show.I bought a carving knife from there and still use it today.

All this talk of Bingley Hall brings back many memories for me too. However I might say I got onto this site quite by accident as I was looking for information on "Dr Crock and his Crackpots", who I saw at Bingley Hall at an Ideal Homes Exhibition. I recall very little about the exhibition itself but my stongest memory of that visit is when "Dr Crock et al" played "Yes We Have No Bananas" - backwards! Now who remembers that? -- Not exactly Jazz but it lead to life-long passion which included working for one Basil Wainwright as a door-man (NO, not a bouncer - I collected the entry fees) at a number of his clubs. More memories jogged - The Second City Jazz Band - somewhere in Deritend I think - and Ronnie Scotts Birmingham Club - located in the pub at the junction of the Warwick and Stratford Roads. Oh those were the days, after "Tech" on Monday nights. Old Brummie.

My Grandad used to be responsable for all the livestock at Bingley Hall, not sure of the dates but I do know he passed away on my moms 17th Birthday which was 69 years ago.

All this talk of Bingley Hall brings back many memories for me too. However I might say I got onto this site quite by accident as I was looking for information on "Dr Crock and his Crackpots", who I saw at Bingley Hall at an Ideal Homes Exhibition. I recall very little about the exhibition itself but my stongest memory of that visit is when "Dr Crock et al" played "Yes We Have No Bananas" - backwards! Now who remembers that?

Hi OldBrummie. Well I don't know about Bingley Hall or when you saw Dr Crock and his Crackpots. I know they were in existance from around 1946 or 7 until the early 60s, with their height definitely in the 50s when my father used to be a crackpot until he gave up from ill health around 1964 or 5 if my memory serves. I would certainly be more interested to hear any other memories you may have of them or what else you could kindly tell me about that particular day/night. Most of the 'gigs' I saw were in the south of England (Brighton and Folkstone are two I particularly remember well) and one night we drove up to Peterborough to see a recorded TV performance of them in a show which *may* have been Variety Bandbox but I'm not 100% certain about that - it was only shown in that particular tv area which is why we had to travel from London.

Oh happy memories. If only I were older and remember more. I do have a list of the band from early 1950s on a playbill if that would be of interest to you?

All the best for now
Nick

My Dad used tro love Dr Crock and his crackpots, when I was about 4 he took us to The Birmingham Hippadrome to see them, Max Wall was also appearing, he came down and tried to sit on my lap can remember eally crying, I could never stand seeing him for the rest of his life, I must have been petrified.

Hi Nick.
Sadly I have no other memories of "Dr Crock" besides that one concert.
I guess I was too young to even know what they were all about but I do remember I thoroughly enjoyed them.
Those were the days of the "Wireless" and that was our (almost total) means of obtaining enertainment until I was old enough to go to "The Pictures" on my own. My locals? - The Sheldon Cinema and The Olton Cinema. Oh Happy Days.
OldBrummie.

Hi Nick: I certainly have memories of seeing Dr. Crock and his Crackpots at
t he Bingley Hall Ideal Home Exhibition. My brother Bill was about 3 at the time and so this would have been 1949, Bill was lost and we finally found him sitting on the floor with the other small children watching Dr. Crock and his Crackpots. They were very zany I remember and people just seemed to love them.

I have had a look around on the Internet and found a few things including a photo of some of the group undated from a visit to Findon Village. The lady with the microphone was bitten by a piglet according to the web page. You may already have seen this but just in case https://images.google.ca/imgres?imgurl=https://www.findonvillage.com/pq1451_roger2_0980.jpg&

I had a look around for Harry Hines who formed the group originally called
Professor Crock and his Crackpots. He was a well known saxaphone/clarinetplayer it seems.

It also looks like the band were on the Bill in many theatres all over Britain. I wish we knew more about them.

Lloyd
Don't know if this will help in your searching "Penfold" but there is a "Penfolds Wines" in Aussie. Famous family with a long history. Try the old Google on "Penfold" and see what you come up with.

Me, I'm looking for Platt. Rance. Pearsall. Nightingale. Chinery. Kershaw. Deakin. Faulkner. Sketchley.

OldBrummie.

Hi Nick: I certainly have memories of seeing Dr. Crock and his Crackpots at
t he Bingley Hall Ideal Home Exhibition. My brother Bill was about 3 at the time and so this would have been 1949, Bill was lost and we finally found him sitting on the floor with the other small children watching Dr. Crock and his Crackpots. They were very zany I remember and people just seemed to love them.

I have had a look around on the Internet and found a few things including a photo of some of the group undated from a visit to Findon Village. The lady with the microphone was bitten by a piglet according to the web page. You may already have seen this but just in case https://images.google.ca/imgres?imgurl=https://www.findonvillage.com/pq1451_roger2_0980.jpg&

I had a look around for Harry Hines who formed the group originally called
Professor Crock and his Crackpots. He was a well known saxaphone/clarinetplayer it seems.

It also looks like the band were on the Bill in many theatres all over Britain. I wish we knew more about them.

Hi and thank you for that. Yes I've seen the site you mention and the photo although your link seems to be incorrect. here is the right one -

https://www.findonvillage.com/pq1451_roger2_0980.jpg

My father is the one behind the lady singer and the little fellow in front and standing next to Dr Crock. And yes Harry Hines was indeed Dr Crock and the leader of the motley crew. :) And yes they were all over the country in theatres and summer shows and so on as well as on TV and radio for many years.

Always surprising but pleasantly so when I come across people who remember them so well and with fondness and delight too. As I say, I only wish I could remember more than I do. So many happy memories but not so many of them for me but thankfully thanks to various playbills, programs and posters etc and similar sites to this around the Internet, you can glean bits of info so it's all good. :)

thank you again
Nick

PS Incidently, according to my mother, the lady singer's name was Billie Campbell and the little fellow in front was called Charlie but so far we can't recall his surname.

Here is a message for Loisand - Adept Brummie
I see you are looking for the name "Pearsall".
I have a Mary Anne Pearsall (1846 to 1913) (b. Braithwell, Yorks) who married
my Great Grandfather, George Platt (1844 - 1927) (b. Bristol, Glous).
If I can help email me [email protected]
OldBrummie

Lloyd - thanks for the Dancing Waters.

Regarding Penfold - I worked for Swallow Raincoats and we used to have a golfing day called Swallow Penfold - they were certainly something to do with golf - dont know if there is a connection there.

Regards

Thanks for the great photos and memories of such a great exhibition hall, I know it was a small venue however I think that was what made it special, every exhibitor worked hard to fit they wares into such a small space. Anybody remember the diving team display by the Royal Navy I think it was at the caravan and leisure show? Members of the public could have a go in a deep sea divers suit and descend into a big glass sided tank of water, diver’s boots, weights and all. How I long to have a go at that however I was too young at the time, I kept going back year after year to see if I was old enough yet to have a go however the show moved to the National Exhibition Centre by the time I was big enough, sadly they did not have this display there, what a letdown!

Using my stock of researched photos and articles regarding my professional interest in the Cinemas and Theatres of Birmingham (in this case the Repertory Theatre on Broad Street), I hope the linked photo will appeal to many, not just regarding the Bingley (dramatically contrasted with the Rep.) but the whole area on the point of revolutionary change.

www.ribapix.com/image.php?i=20312&r=2&t=4&x=1&ref=RIBA11466

Richie.

Maurice/Mossy, you're very welcome. It was the same one that JennyAnn was trying to link to but for some reason her link wouldn't work so I was happy to post a more direct link which thankfully did. :)

If anyone has any private photos, playbill/programme information or any personal memories they wish to share either here or directly, I would be most interested to hear from you, inluding you too Richie.

all the best again to everyone for now
Nick (my father's name, incidently, was Larry Jay who used to be a silent comedian before joining Dr Crock's Crackpots).

PS If anyone is interested, there is a clip lasting 2.21 minutes on YouTube showing my father doing his comedy mime. It's a mime of a woman followed by a man sewing a button onto a jacket and kindly posted by my half-brother Paul (Eugene Cheese) who is the young man shown in the first segment playing in a phone box with my father and another so far unrecognisable man with a beard. In the unlikely event anyone should happen to recognise him, I would be very grateful for any info or a name. Thank you again. Nick [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcMXpmlxzsQ"]YouTube - How a woman, then a man sows on a button[/ame]

Oh it seems the site has already converted the link I posted into a playable video right here. Brilliant. In that case, simply press play and enjoy. :)

Any one got any recall of the 1951 exibition at Bingley hall, all in addition to the one one the south bank London?

Take a look at the following link for the fascinating story of Bingley Hall. Written by William S. Ainsworth this book is the most extensive work you could imagine about Bingley Hall. Ever chapter of this fantastic work is available and it is possible to save the chapters for future reference or reading. I have only had time to briefly look through a few chapters and I am sure you will agree this is an amazing work, over 500 pages in total!

Bingley Hall by William S Ainsworth
www.local-history.co.uk/bh/

I couldn't agree more. I also think the local history website its on seems very interesting. Haven't come across it before. The site also lists some societies (ie Barr & Aston local history society) i've never heard of before
mike

My Grandad used to take me to the Cattle show at Bingley Hall and when I was older my Dad and Mom took me to the Ideal Home Show there

Always came back from the Home show with some gadget or other - Ah memories

Not exactly Jazz but it lead to life-long passion which included working for one Basil Wainwright as a door-man (NO, not a bouncer - I collected the entry fees) at a number of his clubs.

Maybe we met at some time ? I was introduced to Basil by Johnny 'B' and duly found myself fly-posting around Brum late into the night, lugging drum kits around, talking money at the door, and being 'guardian of the coats' at the Bricklayer's Arms. But the venue I liked most was The George in Solihull. Happy days.

Basil of course went on to make a name for himself in non-jazz fields. Should have stuck to drumming !

'Best, Colin

hi all
I remember the Circus at Bingley I worked there for a couple of Christmas's, round the back they had elelphants and horses must be the same stalls as for the 19th C cattle shows.
regards
paul

THE NEW BINGLEY HALL Has anyone any information on the conversion of the old Hockley Bus Station into The Ne3 Bingley Hall.Dek

Back