• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Bevan Family

When you say "numerous people" are you referring to other family trees? If so, then I would not assume William's father was George without proof. It is easy to "grab a surname" and assume it is yours. Names are much more common than we imagine. Better to have no entry than the wrong one.
Just my thoughts - others may disagree.

When you say "numerous people" are you referring to other family trees? If so, then I would not assume William's father was George without proof. It is easy to "grab a surname" and assume it is yours. Names are much more common than we imagine. Better to have no entry than the wrong one.
Just my thoughts - others may disagree.
i absolutely agree with you jan...if we cant prove for certain that we are following the correct family then i would rather draw a line under the research as not proven and as we all know this happens a lot..no sense in grasping at straws

lyn

I agree with both of you. It is amazing how many on ancestry have him tied to George. I have left it open. I figure if he doesn't know, then no one does. Lol...

At first look apart from the marriage it seems almost certain that he is the son of George.

However, looking at the 1881 census there are 2 William Durose listed b1846ish in Utoxeter in Bham/Aston. Your one and one living with his brother Thomas. These last 2 are certainly the sons of George Durose.

Sorry, misread the census, the grandfather is John Durose I think not William.

But William & Henry could be children of a child of John's other than Ann (not with them) so still uncertain.

Which census is that?

John and Mary appear to have had 6 children - Louisa (1816), Ann (1819), Richard (1822), Henry (1822), William (1826) & Alfred (1828).

Louisa marries in 1843, Richard is listed as single in 1851, William & Alfred are too young. Henry however possibly listed as widowed in 1851 so John's grandchildren (on 1851) could be his.

Durose is a popular name in the Uttoxeter area though.

Is that the one in Uttoxeter - John, Mary, Richard, William, Anne, William and Henry?

If so then though it lists Anne as a daughter of and William & Henry as grandchildren of John Durose, nothing on it (from what I can see) proves that she's their mother. Though it does seem a good possibility.

When I click on view record, it lists each person. If you look at the relationship of both Wiilm and Henry, they are listed as grandson and Ann Durose is listed as mother's name

Well, whoever you're William's parents are it seems certain that his father was not George Durose.

William, son of George, is listed on all later censuses with his brother Thomas and doesn't seem to have ever married.

Fairly certain that the Henry Durose b1848 on the 1851 is actually Thomas Henry Durose b1847 London (reg Westminster).

Ann Durose married a Thomas Chatfield 14 Dec 1862.

On the 1881 & 1891 census she is a widow living with her son Thomas Henry Durose and family. Thomas' birthplace is listed as London. Thomas lists his father as Thomas on his marriage but that's a fudge at best.

So, it makes me think that William's birthplace could be incorrect also. I wonder if the William Alexander Durose reg. Sep 1843 Cheadle no mmn could be him.

There's some sort of record on Ancestry for William Alexander, not sure what info is on it.

I did see that marriage to Chatfield and wondered... Also the census records made me question.
Dna matches for that part of the family are few.... Sadly.

Fairly certain that the Henry Durose b1848 on the 1851 is actually Thomas Henry Durose b1847 London (reg Westminster).

Ann Durose married a Thomas Chatfield 14 Dec 1862.

On the 1881 & 1891 census she is a widow living with her son Thomas Henry Durose and family. Thomas' birthplace is listed as London. Thomas lists his father as Thomas on his marriage but that's a fudge at best.

So, it makes me think that William's birthplace could be incorrect also. I wonder if the William Alexander Durose reg. Sep 1843 Cheadle no mmn could be him.

There's some sort of record on Ancestry for William Alexander, not sure what info is on it.
hi mark is there anything i can help with i am on ancestry at the min

lyn

Hello Lyn,

There's a birth registered for a William Alexander Durose under Staffordshire BMDs but looking again I think they may be just normal BMDs (grouped for Staffs) with no more details.

Hello Lyn,

There's a birth registered for a William Alexander Durose under Staffordshire BMDs but looking again I think they may be just normal BMDs (grouped for Staffs) with no more details.

yes mark it just gives his birth ref nothing else

• Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
I have a good number of matches on My Heritage for this side of the family, shared with known cousins, but as yet have no he where they fit. I expect that they will tie in up onl Jones, ba

No idea where they fit. Lily tie to this line, or Harry Bevans line. We know his father was John and believe his mother was Elizabeth Jones. We have a cluster of shared matches that support that idea...

DNA is interesting but I still think of it as last resort when all other options are exhausted.

I think Harry Bevans was the son of John Bevans and Elizabeth Cater (see post #2). Can't see a marriage for them but you can match birth registrations of children to their children with them on 1861, 1871 & 1881 censuses.

In 1851 John appears to be a prisoner.

Hello Lyn,

There is this and Bramshall is in the registration district of Uttoxeter.
1632482530955.png

Back