• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Best Emily

lisa63

knowlegable brummie
Hi everyone, I am trying to trace information about my Nan, Emily Best. Here is her wedding certificate. The information we were told is she may have worked on the canals. She married Arthur A Palser in 1924. Children, Margaret, Mary, Arthur and Harold. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Hope the screenshot works! Lisa

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230911_192433_Ancestry.jpg
    Screenshot_20230911_192433_Ancestry.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 22
The screenshot worked but a little small to make out the details.

Are you trying to trace her family?

The screenshot worked but a little small to make out the details.

Are you trying to trace her family?
Hi MWS, yes, I'm trying to find her parents, although I know her Dad was Edward Best but I can find no records of her birth or mother's name. She is my grandmother on my Dads side. I'll try upload a better image.

Could it possible that her father's name was recorded incorrectly?

There is an Emma Jane Best 1901 Bham, daughter of a Henry Best and an Elizabeth Smith.

It was not uncommon for Emma and Emily to be interchangeable. Her birth reg. Sep 1901 is consistent with dob on her death reg. and she had a sister, Mary, possible witness on her marriage. And Henry was listed as a Carter in 1911 and possibly died in 1920, again seeming to match the other marriage details.

Oh wow! That's so quick, and very interesting!! I can see the similarity you have pointed out! Thankyou so much. This is definitely a lead I will follow. Very much appreciated, thankyou

It is possible that her sister, Mary Elizabeth, married a Joseph Nolan in 1926, her father is listed as Harry. The marriage is on Ancestry and if you can access it, you can check if the details match. With any luck Emily/Emma may be a witness.

Can
It is possible that her sister, Mary Elizabeth, married a Joseph Nolan in 1926, her father is listed as Harry. The marriage is on Ancestry and if you can access it, you can check if the details match. With any luck Emily/Emma may be a witness.
Can't thankyou enough for this. This is such an interesting lead to follow. I'll check it out on ancestry. Thanks for this . Lisa

Also it looks like the address for Emma on her marriage is listed as Granville St (I think) and she is with her mother on Granville St on the 1921 census.

Her mother remarries to a William Charles Burton, who is with them as well.

on emilys marr cert her address is given as 3/41 granville st...father edward deceased occ carter

on mary elizabeths marr cert her address is also given as 3/41 granville st but it says father is harry best deceased occ carter

Hi MWS, I just looked at the address on Marys marriage certificate and it's the same as my Nan's! Also, her mother did remarry after her father died, so I've been told. This is brilliant!! So strange all the name changes but it kind of fits in..
I've been trying for ages to get somewhere with all this.. It looks promising. Thankyou so much! The research can move forward now.. I'm so excited about all this! Thankyou!

Yes,
on emilys marr cert her address is given as 3/41 granville st...father edward deceased occ carter

on mary elizabeths marr cert her address is also given as 3/41 granville st but it says father is harry best deceased occ carter
Yes I just looked at this and I can't understand the name change.. it confuses everything but sort of connects..

Yes,

Yes I just looked at this and I can't understand the name change.. it confuses everything but sort of connects

lisa you have probably found this but just in case on the 1939 eve of war register emily and arthur are living in irving street..arthur is a painter and decorator...emily date of birth is 7th aug 1901...there is also 1 closed record which could be a child

lyn

Yes,

Yes I just looked at this and I can't understand the name change.. it confuses everything but sort of connects

Details given on old records can have strange mistakes - deliberate or accidental - reasons including illiteracy, questions not being understood or even strong accents. You've got to accept that these mistakes happened and not be put off by them.

You mentioned canals in your op and it may be that Emily's mother lived on them. Though, as she was a Smith, not easy to be certain.

lisa you have probably found this but just in case on the 1939 eve of war register emily and arthur are living in irving street..arthur is a painter and decorator...emily date of birth is 7th aug 1901...there is also 1 closed record which could be a child

lyn
Hi Lyn, yes I have this and that's definitely my grandparents. He did work as a painter and decorator. Thankyou for looking anyway. Lisa

Could it possible that her father's name was recorded incorrectly?

There is an Emma Jane Best 1901 Bham, daughter of a Henry Best and an Elizabeth Smith.

It was not uncommon for Emma and Emily to be interchangeable. Her birth reg. Sep 1901 is consistent with dob on her death reg. and she had a sister, Mary, possible witness on her marriage. And Henry was listed as a Carter in 1911 and possibly died in 1920, again seeming to match the other marriage details.
think you are right mark...on the 39 reg it says emily J so that could stand for jane...maybe she dropped the first name of emma?

lyn

Details given on old records can have strange mistakes - deliberate or accidental - reasons including illiteracy, questions not being understood or even strong accents. You've got to accept that these mistakes happened and not be put off by them.

You mentioned canals in your op and it may be that Emily's mother lived on them. Though, as she was a Smith, not easy to be
think you are right mark...on the 39 reg it says emily J so that could stand for jane...maybe she dropped the first name of emma?

lyn
This is so interesting, thanks for your help. I've searched for ages to piece together Nan's family. I've had to go on what older cousins could remember and the wedding certificate.

Their brother Edward also married from 4/31Granville Street in 1931 (cert on Ancestry) and Father's name given as Henry. Occupation waggoner and deceased.
Emma, Mary and Edward on 1901 census with Henry and elizabeth

Their brother Edward also married from 4/31Granville Street in 1931 (cert on Ancestry) and Father's name given as Henry. Occupation waggoner and deceased.
Emma, Mary and Edward on 1901 census with Henry and elizabeth
That's great! Thanks, will check it out

the nice thing about the 1911 census is that everyone had their own census page and was signed at the bottom by head of house so you have henrys signature...just noticed it says 6 children born only 3 are still living

lyn

the nice thing about the 1911 census is that everyone had their own census page and was signed at the bottom by head of house so you have henrys signature...just noticed it says 6 children born only 3 are still living

lyn
Oh yes, that's sad, just looking at it now. So there would be birth records I could trace. Thanks Lyn

lisa i think these are emma janes birth details should you want to order her birth cert..

NameEmma Jane Best
Registration Date1901[1901]
Quarter of the YearJul-Aug-Sep
Registration PlaceBirmingham, Warwickshire, England
Volume6d
Page45

Th
lisa i think these are emma janes birth details should you want to order her birth cert..

NameEmma Jane Best
Registration Date1901[1901]
Quarter of the YearJul-Aug-Sep
Registration PlaceBirmingham, Warwickshire, England
Volume6d
Page45
That's a good idea, I think I will. Thankyou!

These are the possible children, 3 alive in 1911 and Hannah is on he 1901 census. The 2 other Best/Smith registrations but, again, because of it being Smith there is some doubt...

Hannah, Dec 1899, Bham - Dec 1905
Emma Jane, Sep 1901, Bham
Mary Elizabeth, Dec 1903, Bham

Henry, Sep 1906, Bham - Dec 1906
Elizabeth, Mar 1908 Bham - Mar 1908
Edward, Dec 1909, Bham

Last edited:
These are the possible children, 3 alive in 1911 and Hannah is on he 1901 census. The 2 other Best/Smith registrations but, again, because of it being Smith there is some doubt...

Hannah, Dec 1899, Bham - Dec 1906

Edward, Dec 1909, Bham
Wow that was quick! I found Hannah, but slowly working on phone, bit wierd on Ancestry app! Interesting a son Edward and Edward on Nan's marriage certificate. I can see how they made a mistake somehow.

Hannah, Dec 1899, Bham - Dec 1906

Edward, Dec 1909, Bham
there is a death for a hannah best b 1899 died aged 6 1905

NameHannah Best
Age6
Estimated Birth Yearabt 1899
Registration QuarterOct-Nov-Dec
Death Registration PlaceBirmingham, Warwickshire, United Kingdom