• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Benson Family

L

Lionel Benson

Any help with Benson Family. Joseph Benson born 13 December 1835 at All Saints, Parents James Benson and Ann ? At the time of registration in June 1836 was living in Bradford Street, Birmingham, on 26 December 1856 Joseph married Lucy Elizabeth Poole born 12 February 1833 in Birmingham, Children,
Ann Maria Benson b. 16 March 1857 - married Edward Watterson
Betsy Benson b. 8 November 1858 - married Samuel Burgess
James Richard Benson b. 8 December 1862 - married Alice Mills
Walter Benson b. 12 February 1865 - married Florence A. Boaz
Alice Benson b. 12 August 1866
Christopher Benson b. 9 August 1868 - married Anne Lucas
Joseph Benson b. 19 June 1870
Frederick William Benson b.25 August 1872 - married Emma Isabel Lucas d. 1904 in Birmingham ( my Grandfather )
Albert Edward Benson b. 1875 - married Charlotte Anne Wilmot.
Any help, greatly appreciated
Lionel Benson
Australia

Could this be your James and Ann on the 1851 census:

Living in Windmill Street, Birmingham

Joseph b. abt 1877 London, Middlesex. Occ. Porter

Ann b abt 1733 Bewdley

James b abt 1833 B'Ham, Brass Founder.

No sign of Joseph on either the 1851 or 1861

Thanks so much for your reply. I did have that information from the 1851 census but still do not know if it is my Bensons. What puzzles me is that there is no Joseph in any of the early census until 1871 living at 181 Great King Street. In the 1851 census it has
James Benson -Head 63 years old - Porter
Ann Benson - Wife - 78 years old
James Benson - son - 18 years old - Brass Founder
If the James as son being 18 years old Ann as the mother would have been 60 years old when James was born and if this is the family of my Joseph who was born 13th December 1835 Ann would have been 62 years old, it is possible that Joseph may have been with other relatives somewhere in the UK, what are your thoughts on this Ann bearing children at her age. I apologise for not including all this information in my original message. Other information on Joseph`s marriage certificate on 26th December shows his Father as James Benson - occupation - Brass Founder who would have been 68 years old if the above James was the Father. I truely appreciate any help as my forehaed is starting to flatten from hitting that proverbial Brickwall.
Best regards
Lionel Benson

I also noticed the ages of Ann and James. So Ann is probably not the birth mother of James in that case.

I found the birth and baptisms of both James (28/09/1832) and Joseph (27/06/1836) and both state James and Ann being parents, so perhaps this entry in 1851 isn't yours.

There may be more information on the baptism entries at St Martins, perhaps if anyone has access to the records they will look it up for you.

the baptism details at st.martins are....

james b. 19 may 1832 bap. 28 sep 1832 son of james and ann

abode bradford st. upholsterer.

joseph b. 13 dec 1835 bap.27 jun 1836 son of james and ann

abode bradford st. labourer

Hello Shera - Wow, are you quick, thank you very much for that information. The only difference with the Records are the occupation of James Benson, what would be the likelyhood of there being two James and Ann Bensons in Bradford Street in the 1830s although at this stage it should be taken for granted I would suspect that the James and Ann would be the parents of both James and Joseph, 20-21 years later James occupation changes again to Brass Founder as shown on Joseph`s marriage certificate in 1856. Thanks to everybody for their help as it is very difficult when living so far away in OZ.
Best regards to all
Lionel Benson

it seems likely that it is the same parents, but despite searching in both 1841 and 1851 i have been unable to find them. the ann you had couldnt be the mother being 60 yr old. she must be the second wife. do you know for certain that both james and joseph did not die early?

all the best from rainy birmingham

Hi Shera - Re the possible death of James and Joseph the England & Wales Free BMD Death index has Josephs Death in 1908 Quarter - Oct-Nov-Dec aged 74, District Aston, Warwickshire Volume 6d. James shows up in the 1881 census 47 old ( should be 49 ) Estimated birth 1834 - Head - Spouse Emma - Born Birmingham, Warwickshire - Civil Parish Aston - - Street address 5 Emily Street - Occupation, Brass Founder - Members - James Benson 47- Emma 40 - Eliza 19- James 14 - Rose 9 - Emma 5, this is the family of James jnr. I have no other information re James the Father and Ann the Mother I only got their names from the IGI and the Father James from Joseph`s marriage Certificate. Thank you so much for all the time you are putting into this for me, I thank you so much.
Best regards
Lionel

there is a burial of a ANN BENSON at st.martins 19 feb 1840 aged 38 yrs. abode thomas street.

in 1841 james benson 53 horse hair curler not b. in county (living windmill st.)
ann 69 not b. in county

this would match up with the 1851 james and ann you found with james jnr aged 18. so perhaps wife ann died then he married an older ann. dont know where the children went but then james came back to live with them by 1851.

(i like the occ. horse hair curler :D)

Hi Shera - Thank you again for all your information, Gee you are quick. My wife ( Janet ) thinks like you she came up with the same possibility as you re the Ann Bensons which now having found the death of an Ann Benson in 1840. If this death is of James and Josephs mother they could well have been living with other relatives being so young and James snr. having to work and the reason not being found in the 1841 census. Shera does the death record at St. Martins give this Ann`s parents names, my interest is that if she is the mother of James and Joseph she would be my Great Great Grandmother. Thanks again, you are wonderful.
Cheers
Lionel

PS There must have been some very nice looking horses in Birmingham with all the curly hair.

in 1841 james benson 53 horse hair curler not b. in county (living windmill st.)
ann 69 not b. in county

this would match up with the 1851 james and ann you found with james jnr aged 18. so perhaps wife ann died then he married an older ann. dont know where the children went but then james came back to live with them by 1851.

[/quote]

you mentioned in your last post that james snr couldnt be found in 1841 but i had found him living with the older ann (as above quote)

im afraid the burial record has no other info. just date, name and age :(

just for interest i had a look what "horse hair curler" was.

answer: prepared horse hair for upholstery stuffing.

so that fits with the baptism of james where the father was an upholsterer! this is the proof you needed that the james on 1841 and 1851 with older ann IS the father of james.

i still prefer the thought of the horses having flowing curls down their backs!! :grinsmile:

Hello Shera - That is terrific news at least you have confirmed one part of the Benson puzzle. You blow me away with the speed that you are able find information, thanks again so much, you have started to knock down that brickwall.
Thanks to all
Lionel

Could this be your James and Ann on the 1851 census:

Living in Windmill Street, Birmingham

Joseph b. abt 1877 London, Middlesex. Occ. Porter

Ann b abt 1733 Bewdley

James b abt 1833 B'Ham, Brass Founder.

No sign of Joseph on either the 1851 or 1861
Hi Sue - Yes I do have this information they are just harf to find. Shera has come up with a possibility that the mother Ann died and James married an older Ann. Which branch of the Bensons are you from?
Cheers
Lionel

Hi Shera - I did post a reply to your previous message in that I had worded the message badly and was referring to James jnr not being in the 1841 census. It has not showed in the Posts, I may have hit the wrong button.
Regards
Lionel

Hi Lionel,

My husband is a Benson, born in Birmingham 1951. His father and grandfather were also born in Birmingham, but his grandfather seems to be the first in the line. All the brothers of the grandfather, and tracing back the tree, came from the Coventry area.

But that isn't to say there could not be a link somewhere. I keep looking!

So if Coventry, Foleshill or Stoke is every mentioned when you are researching please let me know.

Which state is Forster? I spent two years in Alice and 8 in Melbourne through the 1980's

Hi Sue - Thanks for your reply. So far I have not come across my family anywhere other than Birmingham, other than the possibility of my GGGrandfather James being born in London. Beautiful Forster is in New South Wales right on the Coast about 300kms north of Sydney on the Wallis Lake System where at holiday time we are inundated with holiday visitors, the growing of Oysters is quite a big industry here. How did you find living in Alice, my wife and I spent a couple of weeks there in 1996, was OK for a holiday but no way would we like to live there, Melbourne yes, would be no problem. I am not really a city person would prefer the country but not " A Town Like Alice "
Cheers
Lionel

i dont know if you want to send for ann bensons death certificate from birmingham register office but the details are

ann benson 1840 jan-mar birmingham 16 223

just wondered if there might be some info on it that would be helpful.

Hello Shera - Yes absolutely, are you able to tell me the address of the Birmingham Registrar, I have printed out the information. You are always one step ahead of me. I can`t thank you enough.
Regards
Lionel

Hi Shera - Thanks for that information, I have sent for the death certificate and will keep my fingers crossed that it is our Ann. Will let you know of the result. Thanks again.
Lionel

Dear Mr Benson

Thank you for your application for a death certificate in respect of Ann
BENSON, March quarter 1840.

I have traced the entry to which you refer, but regret from the information
given by you this does not appear to be the entry you require; as the

Hi Shera - No luck with the death of Ann Benson in 1840, did ask for the certificate only if the husband was James Benson and I received the above reply. The more I think about it the more I go with your thoughts as neither of James jnr or Joseph were with the Father in 1841 census and James jnr old enough to work is there in 1851. I will have a look through and see if there may be a marriage for James and Ann 1840-1841
Best regards
Lionel

hello lionel, im surprised that wasnt the death although there are lots of ann bensons!! the certs dont always have the husbands name on. what was the reason they gave that this did not match?

i had looked for a marriage before but wondered whether he actually got married again or just pretended they did.

i dont know where you can go from here. maybe something will turn up in time :rolleyes:

I have traced the entry to which you refer, but regret from the information
given by you this does not appear to be the entry you require; as the
husband differs.

Hello Shera - The first message did not paste all the information, I did not notice, the reason was that the husband differs. Will have to go back to the drawing board and put plan B into use, I will check other marriage records, have not done so yet, have visitors.
Thanks so much for your interest and help.
Best regards
Lionel

I am also descended from Joseph Benson b. 1835 in Birmingham, married to Lucy Elizabeth Poole. Joseph was my great great grandfather. One of his son's James Richard Benson was my great grandfather.

I think I may have been in contact with you through Genes Reunited, but I am no longer a member.

I am still puzzling over the parents of Joseph Benson - James and Ann. I too found a James Benson born in Middlesex around the same time. The James and Ann in the Census seem more like grandparents age.

I have recently found a James Benson who was born about 1812 and transported in 1834. I just wonder if this could be why there is no trace of Joseph - maybe he was adopted??#

Regards, June

Any help with Benson Family. Joseph Benson born 13 December 1835 at All Saints, Parents James Benson and Ann ? At the time of registration in June 1836 was living in Bradford Street, Birmingham, on 26 December 1856 Joseph married Lucy Elizabeth Poole born 12 February 1833 in Birmingham, Children,
Frederick William Benson b.25 August 1872 - married Emma Isabel Lucas d. 1904 in Birmingham ( my Grandfather )
Lionel Benson
Australia
Hello Shera - Yes absolutely, are you able to tell me the address of the Birmingham Registrar, I have printed out the information. You are always one step ahead of me. I can`t thank you enough.
Regards
Lionel
Lionel Benson
Australia
I realise this post was a long time ago but I think we may be related Lionel. My great grandfather was James R Benson, his parents were James and Ann

Back