• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

belmont /cardigan st

I'm glad they have found a way to retain the original façade.
I used to live in Gopsal street. It has gone now but pleased that Cardigan Street is still there. so many happy memories. Good news too about the Belmont works I have a friend at the University so I knew the building was going to be restored.

Hello. I'm a newbie but work close to the development and thought I'd post a construction update picture for anyone who might be interested.

The whole building has been saved and restored. the roof has been rebuilt and the windows are almost complete. The water tower has been rebuilt and renovated and the missing masonry has been commissioned and restored. The new building at the back is progressing well too.

If anyone is interested in some more pictures, let me know and I'll see what I can do.belmont_to_steamhouse_compressed.jpg

hi ginga and welcome we are always interested in any photos especially those of old historical buildings which have been saved..(sad to say not enough are) so yes please keep us upated with this one...

cheers

lyn

Hello. I'm a newbie but work close to the development and thought I'd post a construction update picture for anyone who might be interested.

The whole building has been saved and restored. the roof has been rebuilt and the windows are almost complete. The water tower has been rebuilt and renovated and the missing masonry has been commissioned and restored. The new building at the back is progressing well too.

If anyone is interested in some more pictures, let me know and I'll see what I can do.View attachment 160562
hi ginga and welcome. I am so pleased with the work and more so to see the tower rebuilt. Will you be doing any hard hat tours for us people who work in or are interested in historic building preservation?

Please do post more pictures, lets give the construction industry the recognition it deserves

hi ginga and welcome. I am so pleased with the work and more so to see the tower rebuilt. Will you be doing any hard hat tours for us people who work in or are interested in historic building preservation?

Please do post more pictures, lets give the construction industry the recognition it deserves
Hello.

The site is currently still under the construction company's control and I don't have the relevant health and safety certification to go on site yet but I could ask colleagues to take some pictures for posting when they next do a site survey.

As soon as building handover has started, I'll be getting my hard hat tour and will at least post pictures from this.

Sadly I've only recently returned to the office so a lot of development has already been missed. There is the possibility that I can post the time lapse we have been taking of the project but I'll have to seek permission for that before posting.

Since there is an attachment limit here, if anyone would like the full resolution pictures, I'm happy to pass them on as I take them - copyright free.

Wonderful. So good to see this progressing. We’ve been keeping our eyes on this here on BHF for some time. Look forward to seeing any photos (and the time lapse if you get the authority). Thank you for updating us ginga. Viv.

I've managed to get hold of all the time lapse that one of my work colleagues took. This was going to cover the whole deconstruction and reconstruction from the outside but unfortunately COVID hit and we were all sent home, but work continued. As a result the quality is low so that we could maximise the amount of footage captured. It is all raw at the moment and likely mostly boring but he did kindly edit the water tower deconstruction, which I've popped on Youtube.

I'll review the rest and post back when it's all been edited together (assuming there are interesting events of course)

For those wanting a more permanent record, here's the video to download: https://drive.google.com/file/d/11df43QHvIhwPXjJRJeX4cl0a0zKvZKma/view?usp=sharing

Last edited:
Two excellent films of the old works. The first film shows how delicate and precise the work had to be in order to carry out the deconstruction of the tower. And wonderful that it’s complemented by Morturn’s earlier footage of the dreadful and dangerous state of the building before work began. Thank you. Viv.

If anyone is interested in some more pictures, let me know and I'll see what I can do.View attachment 160562
Hi ginga, Welcome to the forum. Thank you so much for this wonderful photo of the Belmont Works. This area brings back so many memories for me.. The front of the building is looking so good. Haven't been down this way for many months now, so will look forward to a visit. Kind regards, Sue

Hello again. Just a few more little updates.

A video from the School of Computing at BCU describing what will be going on at the works (less about architecture and construction, more building use):

A 3D render fly-around of the proposed building exterior and interior (shaping up to be pretty accurate to the finished product):

The latest picture from my perch in the office attached:

The roof and cladding of the new portion of the site have progressed. On the old works itself, the windows are now in, as are two of the glass entrance-ways to the lower left of the building. Still no building handover so no pictures of the interior yet.

Attachments

• PXL_20211007_161717150.jpg
    PXL_20211007_161717150.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 8
I got some close ups of the main entrance this morning. Sadly it's still a building site and hasn't been handed over so no interior shots yet. Nice little nod to the factory it was, on the gates! Hopefully the Google Photos album link works.

Hello all.

It has been a little while but the building is getting close to completion. I was finally able to get a tour of the building and take photos this time. It was tricky before this point as I wasn't permitted to photograph before building handover.

I took as many pictures of the original part as I could but it's actually not as big as I imagined it to be.

Anyway, here are some photographs for you; I hope you like them. I've shared a Google Photos album so that you get the full, high resolution images. Each image has a short annotation explaining roughly where you are or what the space is for.

Gary.

Hello all.

It has been a little while but the building is getting close to completion. I was finally able to get a tour of the building and take photos this time. It was tricky before this point as I wasn't permitted to photograph before building handover.

I took as many pictures of the original part as I could but it's actually not as big as I imagined it to be.

Anyway, here are some photographs for you; I hope you like them. I've shared a Google Photos album so that you get the full, high resolution images. Each image has a short annotation explaining roughly where you are or what the space is for.

Gary.
HI Gary,

The photographs are amazing, thank you so much. Kind regards , Sue

Hello all.

Gary.
Those photographs are great - thank you Gary

Back