• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Bell Lane / Holly Lane / Tile Cross Road

changinman1

master brummie
Hi gang....have any of you guys got any pictures of the above roads in and around the Tile Cross area...I lived in Bell Lane from when I was 4 in 1968 until 1988 ...my parents are still there ....but people tell me that Bell lane was before the 60,s a little tiny country lane.......I would love to see a picture of it as it was...I have never ever seen one in my life....it intrigues me.........but if not pictures of Holly lane or Tile cross road would be good to look at too....cheers Karl

3 photos of Marston Green 2008.

Attachments

• Marston Green.jpg
    Marston Green.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 10
  • Marston Green Village.jpg
    Marston Green Village.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 9
  • Marston Green Ye Old Bell Inn.jpg
    Marston Green Ye Old Bell Inn.jpg
    219.2 KB · Views: 9
Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry I don't have any photo's but I remember the Bell and holly lane and marston green very well.

I lived in tile cross /lea village, and i used to go every sunday to marston green and sit in the village green, there was a clock and a wishing well and me and my friend and her parents or my parents would sit and eat cream crackers and cheese, after that we would go to the bell and us kids would sit in the grounds and wait for parents to bring us the obligitory bottle of vimto and packet of smiths crisps, sometimes the "fish man" would come selling cockles, whelks and muscles .. oh boy was that a bonus !

Bell Lane etc now looks nothing like it did in late 50's early 60's.

My Uncle and Aunt bought a house in Shrewley Crescent (about 100 yards from the bell) towards the Malthouse, they paid £1.500 for it - a fortune back then, nowadays the asking price for some of the houses there are over £200,000 - good investment or what !

My friends Betty & Bill live in Shrewley Crescent, he has been having a battle with squirrels but i think he won!.

Hi ye .....my folks bought one of the detached houses on Bell Lane in 1969 they still live there now....£3500 they paid back then........real ramshackle my dad moved over here due to work ....he is a plumber and secured a contract on the then new chelmsley wood estate on the new homes..but going back to bell lane for a 4 year old I had the time of my life in the garden...overgrown....sheds hiding places.....brill .....when i was growin up there in the 70,s it was a real nice place ...tile cross / marston green ...now like a lot of places has got run down. People told me though that it was a single track road in the 40,s / 50,s ..ive never ever seen a pic of it then......but id love to..... if anyone has anything ...please mail it to me.....cheers Karl

Back