• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Bartholomew Row

The side of Christopher Wray from Eastside City Park

All the buildings in front were demolished a few years ago. It is dwarfed by Jennens Court to the right, and the New Technology Institute behind.

Nice pics...I'm surprised they left us a bit of green area...why can't we have lots of tree's.

Ell's picture is a bit deceptive as it shows few trees.

But there has probably been more trees planted in this area in the last few months than anywhere else in Birmingham.

The recently created Eastside City Park in that area has totally transformed the place and there is now plenty of grass and trees everywhere.

Note the official opening day of the Eastside City Park is tomorrow, 16th March 2013

More here

https://digbeth.org/2013/03/eastside-city-park-official-opening/

Here is a picture I took a couple of weeks ago of the grassed area in front of the old Curzon St station, with the Eastside City Park in the background (though it is hard to pick out all the newly planted trees in the distance)

SMP03_zps0fb27028.jpg

That bit wasn't part of Bartholomew Row. That's closer to Fazeley Street.

They have installed new trees like these

Will take time to grow!

HI GUIBERT53
wow ;
Its been some years since i was in the city of brum and especialy around that neck of the woods for that curzon street and fazely street and
AB row district ;new cannal street into digbth where i spent alot of my childhod days at my grand parents home and bussines
i used to see mr banna king and chat with him its seems brum city aint what i know of it now
i do run a bussiness in tysley but never ever go by the city centre at any time
So i think i will find time and take a trekk to see our old blessed brum city centre ;and most certainly bring a camera ;thats for sure
Am i to beleive the city is alive tomorrow with a st patricks day parade down at old digbeth ;? ,
many thanks guilbert for posting the pictures brilliant to my amazement ;
have yourself a good day ; best wishes Astonian;

Yes Astonianm the St Patrick's Day Parade was in Digbeth. From Camp Hill up the Digbeth High Street's to Selfridges.

These days the Eastside area is mostly colleges (Birmingham Metropolitan College: Matthew Boulton Campus), one academy (BOA - Birmingham Ormiston Academy) and universities (Aston University and Birmingham City University).

AB Row still exists, but there are roadworks at the top end of Jennens Road to improve the junction with Cardigan Street.

Albert Street was cut off when the park was built.

You probably wouldn't recognise it.

This what Albert St looked like when all that was left were the street lamps the pavement set stones had been removed and a the road way surface had gone
https://www.flickr.com/photos/dofartshavelumps/8507448538/

{AB Row still exists, but there are roadworks at the top end of Jennens Road to improve the junction with Cardigan Street.

Albert Street was cut off when the park was built.

You probably wouldn't recognise it.[/QUOTE]

One of the lost streets since the park was built - Bartholomew Street

The way Bartholomew Row / Park Street was like, before this end was pedestrianised in front of Christopher Wray

Took a couple of new shots today from Fox Street - of the back of Christopher Wray

Next to the NTI

Gate with skip inside

Hi. I don't live in Birmingham, and have received a great granddads death cert which states he died 1 Western Road in february 1932, but his home address is 19 Bartholomew Row. Could someone please help as to which cemetery he is likely to be buried in.
Also I see(on Google) some houses are still standing on Bartholomew Row but surrounded by works, are they likely to be knocked down by June ?
Many thanks.

Thank you Terryb18.
Ah sorry horsencart have edited post to no. 19. I will have to Google Mansel metal manufacturers as he worked as a 'blacksmith striker at carriage works'
Thank you for your help.

Found a wonderful site called oldcopper.org/birmingham. Someone has put a lot of work in.
Rferece your article
My fathers parents were living at 15 Bartholomew Row when he was born on 08/04/1914. This is the address given on his Birth Certificate, and also the address on his parents Marriage Certificate ( same month, same year!!!) His mother moved around quite a lot, but had made her way back to Birmingham and was living at 1/33 Buck Street ( 1 back of 33) which was very close to Bartholomew Row when she died on 03/01/1954 in Dudley Road Hospital / 1 Western Road. She is buried at Witton Cemetery so this would seem a good place to start Anothershot. Has anyone got access to the Electoral Roll for 15 Bartholomew Row for 1914 please. I would very much appreciate it if they have.
jimbo
ref your article 15 bartholomew my father was born at back 14 bartholomew row and it's the first time I've heard of anyone else living there as well and was wondering if any photos of the street were still around or anyone else had family from there that new what it was like my father left brum in 1938 he joined the army and married my mam who was a lincolnshire girl ,I've just got a geonologist to find o out his early life which I would love to know what he did until he was 18

Yanto
Attached is a photo of houses supposedly in Bartholomew Row, I would guess it is from the 1940s or 50s.
Correection. this was misslabelled and should be Betholom row
Lee Bank Bartholemew Row.JPG

Last edited:
Mike

Your photo is Betholom Row, between Bath Row and Islington Row. If that is one of the images you've had off me, sorry mate I've just noticed it's misnamed in my collection also.

Thnaks Phil. Have put correction on post . It did not look like the map, which is why I put "supposedly"

Walked past Bartholomew Row, and noticed that the Georgian facade of the Christopher Wray building has been restored, next to the Emporium.

great news ell thanks....i was so hoping that this building would be restored it was in such a state...just goes to show it can be done

lyn

The rear buildings on Fox Street next to the Emporium. Looking fully restored. Although the doors look like they need finishing / replacing?

The 'doors' look rather like they are a temporary thick builders board. solely for security. Once the place is more or less finished the proper doors will be installed I guess. The lower walls have recently been rendered and windows, framing and architraves are yet to be fitted. It looks better than in your 2013 photos Ell. Another one saved I guess.

Lyn

At the Park Road end of Curzon Street was Duddeston Row and off Duddeston Row was Fox Street. In the early part of last century it was part of the Italian Quarter. Here is an early photo of the top end of Fox Street.

Attachments

• Bordesley Fox Street 1905.jpg
    Bordesley Fox Street 1905.jpg
    232.2 KB · Views: 37
I am curious about what went on in the building where the lady with umbrella is stood? The rear shows it to have a quite substantial chimney, not the domestic sort at all.

I am curious about what went on in the building where the lady with umbrella is stood? The rear shows it to have a quite substantial chimney, not the domestic sort at all.

I don't think the chimney is of an unusual size, perhaps it just looks different because it's minus it's pots? The photo shows a part of the street that went many years before the rest of the street and there was a glass factory in Bartholomew Row row at the date of the photo.

The actual building in Bartholomew Row that is being renovated started out in life as 3 or 4 Georgian houses. In the early 60's it was a stamping and piercing factory Landon Brothers. I worked there through the winter of 1964 (I only worked in Birmingham in the winters). This is what it looked like before they started work. I'm sure that there is another thread on the forum concerning this building.

Landon Brothers..JPG

Here is a map of Fox St c 1889. , with numbers marked. It shows that the pub in the far distance must be the Sea Horse in Buck St .
map c1889 Fox St.jpg

looking good ell...i must be slipping where is fox st:rolleyes:

lyn

If you are walking past Ice Skate Birmingham in Eastside City Park, from Park Street, then Fox Street is to the left of the ice rink.

The grassed area has portacabins on it I think from when I saw it last.

Back