• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Bartholomew Row

Anothershot

proper brummie kid
Hi. I don't live in Birmingham, and have received a great granddads death cert which states he died 1 Western Road in february 1932, but his home address is 19 Bartholomew Row. Could someone please help as to which cemetery he is likely to be buried in.
Also I see(on Google) some houses are still standing on Bartholomew Row but surrounded by works, are they likely to be knocked down by June ?
Many thanks.

Thank you Terryb18.
Ah sorry horsencart have edited post to no. 19. I will have to Google Mansel metal manufacturers as he worked as a 'blacksmith striker at carriage works'
Thank you for your help.

Found a wonderful site called oldcopper.org/birmingham. Someone has put a lot of work in.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, 1 Western Rd is what is now known as City Hospital, so he died in what used to be known as Dudley Rd hospital. As for where he was buried I cannot help you there, but someone may come along who knows.

At 17 and 18 Bartholomew Row was
Mansel C,O, & Co Lt Metal mres

Hi. I don't live in Birmingham, and have received a great granddads death cert which states he died 1 Western Road in february 1932, but his home address is 18 Bartholomew Row. Could someone please help as to which cemetery he is likely to be buried in.
Also I see(on Google) some houses are still standing on Bartholomew Row but surrounded by works, are they likely to be knocked down by June ?
Many thanks.

Don't know if this is of interest but electoral roll for 19 Bartholomew row gives :

1922 George Arthur Moore
1925 Thomas, Rose & Frank Stinton
1927 Thomas & Rose Stinton
1930 Thomas & Rose Stinton & Ellen Hynett

His home address is 19 Bartholomew Row. Could someone please help as to which cemetery he is likely to be buried in.
Many thanks.

The building left in Bartholomew Row are the old Christoper Wray Lighting building. It has the blue front doors and blue sign at the top of the building.

These are protected buildings (Grade 11 listed I think) and while pretty much everything else round there has been knocked down, they still stand.

They will still be there in June as there are plans to renovate the building (not sure when).

There was a church and graveyard opposite Bartholomew Road but I believe the Church was bombed in WW2 and demolished. There were graves around the church but I think they were all moved.

There are still some gravestones in Park Gardens nearby, but I think they are just the headstones, no bodies remain.

Hi - That is a great site Anothershot - sadly it starts after my ancestor Hannah Gill's time as a Brass Caster by the dates.

Last edited by a moderator:
Possibly Witton?

I'm sure in the past when city centre cemeteries were closed down, they moved the bodies to Witton.

This is my last shot to date of what is left of Bartholomew Row

The buildings to the right of Christopher Wray were demolished 3 years ago. And since then Eastside City Park was built.

To the left of Christopher Wray is a Birmingham City University building.

New Technology Institute

Thank you all for your time and the information you have given me.
Definitely on my 'walking in my fathers footstep list' for June.
I hope he's buried in Witton cem, they have always been so helpful in the past.
Good luck with your own research.
Fay

For a long time part of St Bartholomew's Cemetery remained in Park St complete with tombstones and graves as a little park. I doubt that it still remains today. The lone building in the photograph was Landon Brothers metal stampers when I worked there in 1963 in the stamping shop.

I don't know if this is relevant but my little book "In the Midst Of Life" says there were no burials at Park St. after 1873. In 1894 1,151 coffins were removed to Witton Cemetery.
I think then, Witton is the first to contact. I found them helpful.
rosie.

Phil, I have to correct you here - the burial ground in Park Street was an extension of St Martin's whereas St Bartholomews was completely emptied when Masshouse car park was built.

When the bodies were removed, if they are entered the same as for Key Hill and Warstone, they won't be individually named, just 'remains from .......' - which is unfortunate for us who have had graves that have been moved.

Shortie

None of the maps describe Park St Gardens as being a cemetery, perhaps as they were just adjacent to St Bart's the tombstones and other structures were just moved there as ornaments and there were never any burials at all there. Looking at Google I think they are gone now.

Phil, did you notice my post #10?
The book says Park Street Burial Ground was used as an extension to St. Martin's and was opened in 1807. In 1846 a portion was sold to London & North Western Railway. It closed in 1857, no burials after 1873.
6yrs later it was laid out as a Park. In 1894 1,151 coffins were removed to Witton for re-interrment.
rosie.

My fathers parents were living at 15 Bartholomew Row when he was born on 08/04/1914. This is the address given on his Birth Certificate, and also the address on his parents Marriage Certificate ( same month, same year!!!) His mother moved around quite a lot, but had made her way back to Birmingham and was living at 1/33 Buck Street ( 1 back of 33) which was very close to Bartholomew Row when she died on 03/01/1954 in Dudley Road Hospital / 1 Western Road. She is buried at Witton Cemetery so this would seem a good place to start Anothershot. Has anyone got access to the Electoral Roll for 15 Bartholomew Row for 1914 please. I would very much appreciate it if they have.
jimbo

Last edited:
Rosie

Sorry I didn't see your post, then it's most likely that the stones were left from then, sorry if you thought that I was ignoring you. I'm going to claim old age, bad eyesight and senility.

It's OK Phil! I've just had to correct a post I made on Royal Warwickshires.....I put Gt. Uncle Ted's Name on Gt. Uncle Tom's photo, wrong Regiment too!! Whoops!
rosie.

On a trip to town this morning I noticed that the former Chrisropher Wray building was scaffolded and boarded out and also the former cycle works in Belmont Row,its going to be interesting to see what thats all about.

Yeah I noticed that too yesterday. Wonder what is going on at Christopher Wray? Hope it's not being knocked down!

Not sure about the Belmont Row Works. All I know is that their is year long road works up the Jennens Road until around August 2013.

Yeah I noticed that too yesterday. Wonder what is going on at Christopher Wray? Hope it's not being knocked down!

Not sure about the Belmont Row Works. All I know is that their is year long road works up the Jennens Road until around August 2013.

I don't think Christoper Wray is a demolition job,all the boarding is individual to the roof and to the windows,from my own experience of scaffold work,it looks more likely to be a renovation project but I would'nt hold me breath on that hope knowing so much damage to so many other beautiful buildings has been inflicted.

The old cycle works is only halfway boarded and scaffolded.

I hope the old cycle works is saved,there's some beautiful terracotta detail to the frontage.

Thanks for the link.

I took it from Moor Street Queensway, next to the Masshouse land that was once supposed to be the future site of the Magistrates Court (the coaltion gov cancelled that project).

The current Park Street goes around Masshouse. With Batholomew Row behind it (or what's left of it).
On the left is the New Technology Institute (NTI) now part of Birmingham City University (BCU).

Up Jennens Road is Jennens Court (student accommodation).

Google Street Map View Park Street

Another update - they put a billboard in front of Christopher Wray (a bit like they do on Central Methodist Hall). This I didn't expect.

Back