• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Barnett Elijah Looking for 1900

yogimon

master brummie
I'm looking for some information on Mother-in-Law's grandfather Elijah Barnett. I'm assuming he married a woman called Mary but i cant find a marriage certificate for them. Elijah passed away sometime before 1912 .I think it may have been about 1900 because Mary Married a James Mills around that time. I cant find a death certificate for Elijah either. Can anyone help me please. If it's any help. My mother-in-Laws father is William Barnett born approx 1890 , the family all originate from the birmingham area.

Re: Looking for Elijah Barnett

I'm assuming that Mary married James Mills in the Dec qtr of 1901 registered in Dudley. Can't find anything about Elijah, more info required.

Have you seen Elijah and Mary together on any of the censuses? Have you seen the marriage certificate between Mary and James, which should show Mary's maiden name? Then you can search for her first marriage using her name.

If the answer to the census question is no and Mary's maiden turns out to be Barnett, Elijah could be made up and William illegitimate.

I'm assuming that Mary married James Mills in the Dec qtr of 1901 registered in Dudley. Can't find anything about Elijah, more info required.

Have you seen Elijah and Mary together on any of the censuses? Have you seen the marriage certificate between Mary and James, which should show Mary's maiden name? Then you can search for her first marriage using her name.

If the answer to the census question is no and Mary's maiden turns out to be Barnett, Elijah could be made up and William illegitimate.
On Williams marriage certificate it states that his Father was Elijah.My mother-in-Law can remember her grandfather as James Mills but she cant remember her grandmothers name. When i checked the census i found her name to be Mary. It fits with everything else. The trouble is if you check the dates. Williams birth as approx 1890. Marys' birth approx 1877. That would make her about 14 when she gave birth. It doesn't seem right somehow. If she gave birth out of wedlock and she was a Barnett then perhaps Elijah was made up

Are you working out how old Mary was when she gave birth to William from the age she gives on a census? If so is the age she says she is similar to her second husband James Mills age?- if it is she could really be older and is lying about her age as in those days it was not considered right for a woman to be older than her husband.

Could you gave more details of the censuses you have found them on? If you could it may help someone on here help you solve it.

Did William or Elijah have a second name?

According to his marriage certificate 1912 William was his only name he was born about 1890 or maybe a little earlier .His father was Elijah Barnett (a collier). On the 1911 census Mary and James Mills were living in Green Lane. It all fits but i cant seem to work out where Elijah fits in.

I have searched all Elijah Barnett entries on census and BMD

No marriage for Elijah Barnett to Mary, no Elijah a collier in England or Wales.

Interestly I found an Eli Barnett living in Netherton Ward of Dudley in 1881 and 1901 with his wife Elizabeth (Eli registered June 1854 Dudley)
in 1881 an Iron miner in 1901 a coal miner underground (collier)

I cannot find Eli or the family in 1891 in either England or Wales,

Did have a dalliance with Mary at that time? and where is he 1891.

Could be worth following up.

If you are confident that the James and Mary Mills living in Hansworth are correct you could look for the baptism/birth certificate of one of their children and see what the mother's maiden name is. If it is Barnett it would point to William being illegitimate, Mary being possibly a daughter or a sister of the Eli Barnett that Alberta has found.

There are 5 Mary Barnett births registered in Dudley between 1871 and 1881, maybe one of them could be her.

The births of their children on 1911 census were all registered at West Bromwich and there is an Ernest T Mills MMN BARNETT birth registered at W Bromwich September quarter 1912 6b 1487.

Ernest Thomas Mills’ baptism was at St James Handsworth 26 June 1912 father James (coal dealer) mother Mary. 8 Green Lane, Handsworth. He was born 7 June 1912.

Baptisms
Annie Gertrude Mills
23 Jul 1905
Handsworth, St James,
James, Mary
David Charles Mills
27 Jul 1910
Handsworth, St James,
James, Mary

1905 at 4 Green Lane, 1910 8 Green Lane.

Thanks for all that information guys ,you have been most helpful.Yes you seem to be right about Mary. Do you think William just put a name on his wedding certificate to avoid the shame or is it worth trying for a birth certificate?

I would think that as far as your mother in laws ancestry goes it would be more interesting to have the marriage certificate
of James Mills /Mary Barnett to see if her fathers name is Barnett comfirming that she was in fact single when she married James.

Hi there. I have received the marriage certificate today for James mills and Mary Barnett. As you can see ,she is a widow but i cant make out what the words say on the top. Would anyone be able to decipher it. Many thanks ..Eileencertificate 015.jpg

I wonder if Elijah died abroad, perhaps in the Boar War and it is the name of a place or battle.

Can't make out what it says but whatever it is, it doesn't make it true. Birth registration / baptism of son Ernest still points to her being a Barnett. Who does she put as her father?

We still need a little more. from the snippet you have shown. I have traced James Mills, in 1911 says born Long Marston.
On the certificate it says father 'Dav' and James mills born 1878 Marston Sicca also known as Long Marston living with a father David in 1881 Stratford area.
Marys father on Certificate 'Noa' which I take is Noah but what surname?

I will have another go at photographing the certificate but it says that James father was David Mills and Mary's father was Noah Marsh.

[SIZE=+1]Deaths Jun 1893 [/SIZE]
Barnett Emanuel 28 Dudley 6c8

[SIZE=+1]Deaths Mar 1894 [/SIZE]
BARNETT Emmanuel 0 Dudley 6c51

Thanks for the info.. Dont know where Elijah came from, unless it was a nickname. But why would William put Elijah on his wedding certificate and not Emmanuel.

here is Mary and father Noah in 1881. Mary's sister Parthena was a witness at her marriage to James Mills.

[h=4]1881 census transcription details for: 7, Bumble Hole, Dudley (Worcs)e[/h]National Archive Reference:
RG number:RG11
Piece:2882
Folio:68
Page:20
Reg. District:Dudley
Sub District:Dudley
Parish:Dudley (Worcs)
Enum. District:
Ecclesiastical District:
City/Municipal Borough:
Address:7, Bumble Hole, Dudley (Worcs)
County:Staffordshire
NameRelationConditionSexAgeBirth YearOccupation , DisabilityWhere Born
MARSH, NoahHeadMarried M431838Pit Labourer (C M)
Gornal Wood, Staffordshire
MARSH, RuthWifeMarried F421839Gornal Wood, Staffordshire
MARSH, AnnDaughterSingle F181863Dress Maker
Rowley, Staffordshire
MARSH, WilliceceySonSingle M161865Pit Labourer (C M)
Rowley, Staffordshire
MARSH, SarahDaughterSingle F131868Scholar
Rowley, Staffordshire
MARSH, MaryDaughterSingle F111870Scholar
Rowley, Staffordshire
MARSH, PerthanerDaughterSingle F11880Dudley, Worcestershire

Do we know that Williams father was actually Emanuel cannot find Mary Marsh or William (was he registered Barnett) but found Emanuel, single. living with his father in Netherton in 1891.

Have found Mary Marsh in 1891 living with her grandmother Perthaner, thank goodness for unusual family names.

1891 census transcription details for: 2, Bull Street, Sedgley, Lower Gornal, Wolverhampton
National Archive Reference:
RG number:
RG12
Piece:
Folio:
Page:
Reg. District:
Dudley
Sub District:
Sedgley
Parish:
Sedgley
Enum. District:
Ecclesiastical District:
St James Lower Gornal
City/Municipal Borough:
Wolverhampton
Address:
2, Bull Street, Sedgley, Lower Gornal, Wolverhampton
County:
Staffordshire

Name
Relation
Condition
Sex
Occupation , Disability
Where Born
MARSH, Perthaner
Head
Widow
F
Staffordshire
MARSH, Mary
Granddaughter
Single
F
Staffordshire

I have been looking for a birth certificate for William Barnett. (born approx), 1891 I thought it might give me the fathers name. and i notice that Mary's age differs . Could she have possibly given a false age on her marriage certificate? I can find a few William Barnett's but i'm not so sure that i'm on the right track.

Back